Road to Professional Soccer Career

[quote]young n wrote:
Not sure how much you do this in practice but footwork would be of the utmost importance . . . not just to you and your position but to all sports
Also you said that your shoulder popped or something, well with all the diving and leaping that you will be doing, if not already doing, then you should really look into strengthening your shoulders some more, i know your doing cleans and snatches but some more direct shoulder girdle work would be nice
Just my .02[/quote]

Thank you for your input, since last week I started doing military presses again and started actually strengthening my external rotators, which were the issue to my shoulder problems and everything is running smoothly :slight_smile: And no, not any direct footwork whatsoever for the past 6 months…Expect when warming up and stuff, I never have spent any more than 10 minutes on footwork daily.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]young n wrote:
Not sure how much you do this in practice but footwork would be of the utmost importance . . . not just to you and your position but to all sports
Also you said that your shoulder popped or something, well with all the diving and leaping that you will be doing, if not already doing, then you should really look into strengthening your shoulders some more, i know your doing cleans and snatches but some more direct shoulder girdle work would be nice
Just my .02[/quote]

Thank you for your input, since last week I started doing military presses again and started actually strengthening my external rotators, which were the issue to my shoulder problems and everything is running smoothly :slight_smile: And no, not any direct footwork whatsoever for the past 6 months…Expect when warming up and stuff, I never have spent any more than 10 minutes on footwork daily.[/quote]

I was thinking more around the shoulder girdle rather direct deltoid work, like hitting the lats more, primary for hypertrophy (as well as the other surrounding muscles for hypertrophy) so as to when you dive or leap and come down on your side you have some “cushioning”
The focus shouldn’t entirely be on hypertrophy but also getting stronger at the shoulder girdle, there are so many smaller and large muscles that I don’t even know of in the shoulder structure (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis, teres major, coracobrachialis) and how one should work them directly, the only thing I can thing of would be stability exercises
Not saying that there aren’t exercises or movements to directly work those muscles and more but that’s the extent of my knowledge
There are excellent articles here about shoulder health, worth looking into

I still think footwork is very important, and that’s something you can personally work on even away from the field, I would assume you know your positioning and footwork during corners, drills, and set plays and what not, but only you know if you need more of it or not

Since I have in Munich(9th day today), I havent been anywhere near a barbell, so my training has been non existast. FML.

Today was a total and complete clusterfuck. Woke up at 04:00 AM, packed my father’s and my bags, left the house at 4:30. At 05:10, was at the airport and then BOOM, disaster. I gave our bags at the counter, all well and good. But, the guy there said that something was wrong, and after about 3 minutes, we found out what. Our agent somehow fucked up and the company we were flying didnt have some motherfucking ID our agent was supposed to give them. So, after about and hour and a half of searching that ID which was never found, we lost that flight which was at 06:55. Now, it is 07:00 AM, I haven’t eat breakfast, haven’t drink coffe and I am out of my mind because our luggage are nowhere to be found(luckily, they were not on the plane that we missed). After 30 minutes in the lost and found office, they tracked them down. They said that didn’t know where exactly they were or how long it would take to give them back to me, but all in all it took about 1 and a half hours. After I passed security twice, I got my luggage, got the next plane at 11:15, and got home at about 15:00 PM. Ate lunch, played with my dog a little and then I got to them gym at 19:00. I was a total reck, but a decent workout. here it goes:

Speed box squats
60kgx2
80kgx2
100kgx2
130kgx2
150kgx2x5

First and second set was decent, 3rd and 4th not so good but in 5th I put myself together and got 2 reps. First one left my back for about 4 inches, second a little less. Still not really fast off the box, but the deficit pulls shoould fix it.

Deficit pulls
100kgx3
130kgx3
160kgx2x4
170kgx2 (left more than 2 reps in the tank)

Kneeling jump squats
BWx3
40kgx3x5

Called it a day. Crazy day today. Crazy were also the last 10 days, I worked my ass off, but I paid off well. The good side is that in the 10 days I wasn’t home, I lost only about 1 kg in BW. Nothing too much, I will get it back in 4 days of good eating.

Back day today, so here it goes:

Rows from deadstop
60kgx10
80kgx8
100kgx5
120kgx3
130kgx3

Rows on machine one handed
50kgx12x2
55kgx12

Rows on bench
50kgx18

pullups
1x8

Called it a day. My lower back is sore from Saturday’s workout, but in a couple of days will be fine. Probably soccer “practice” later today.

26/10/2011
Bench

Bench press (75%)
97.5x3x5, 3 on my normal grips, one really wide, one ultra close.
Seated military press

barx10
30kgx10
40kgx10
50kgx10
60kgx8
At this point, my tendonitis flared up. Probably because I spent 10 days drilling and keeping my hands overhead at 70% of time. Sucks.

Lateral raises (seated, deadstop)
12.5kgx8x3

Inline BD press

20kgx12x2 (shoulders felt better on these but not great, so I kept it light)

Done. Sucky soccer practise later today.

29/10/12 Lower body

Speed box squats (75%)
60kgx2
100kgx2
140kgx2
165kgx2x5 these went really well, all of the reps the bar exploaded off my back. Dunno why, but I find it to be really cool LOL. I really think that I am going to be squatting 220kgx2x5 in 5 weeks.

Deficit pulls
100kgx2
120kgx2
140kgx2
175kgx2
175kgx1x2 I am going to do singles, I just dont like doubles.

hang power snatches
40kgx2x2
50kgx2
60kgx2 Medium difficulty

Kneeling jump squats and instant max vertical jump
BWx3
10kgx3
12.5kgx3
17.5kgx3x2, these were good I believe. Gonna keep this weight again next week and take the 20’s the week after. We’ll see.

That was todays workout, still everything is light and I leave the gym not very tired. Also, it seems that I have “shrank”, since I have the same BW approximately but everyone is telling me I have lost weight. Hopefully in the next month that will change, If I ever decide to go and buy creatine.

Good heavy ass lifting.

How is the team training going? Any progress there?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Good heavy ass lifting.

How is the team training going? Any progress there?

tweet[/quote]

Not really, but since I quit heavy squatting every god damn week and just myself heal (that business trip to Munich probably did the job well), I jump,run and react faster than ever. Also, it seems like I can not be tired. Sure, out of breath, but as soon as I catch it again, I can’t get tired. Or our soccer training sucks balls. Anyhow, I am thinking of quitting goalkeeping and becoming a stopper. We’ll see.

31/10/2011 Back
Barbells ros from deadstop
barx10
40kgx10
60x10
80x8
100x5
120x3
130x5

V grip pulldowns
85kgx12x2

One arm machine rows
55kgx12x2

Dumbell curls (now sure why though)
somexsome (don’t remember, didn’t care, not much though)

Pullups 6 reps, my back was dead at this point so I stopped.

Dumbell seated cleans
10kgx12x2

standing press from rack position
25kgx15x2

I have started doing these, because I envy when olympic lifters do it and my shoulders just can’t take it. So, I am going to build it back up, going 2.5kg increments when I feel that I am ready. Gonna take a long time to heal that tendonitis LOL

2/11/2011
Bench press@ 75%

barxsome
40kgx5
80kgx3
97,5kgx3x6, 4 sets on my normal grip, 1 extra wide and 1 extra narrow

Incline dumbbell press
20kgx15
30kgx12x2

Lateral raises
10kgx15
12,5kgx15
15x8
17,5x8
20x6

Tricep pushdowns

some x 20
some x some, 3 sec negative and 1 sec hold on extension

That’s for today. Yesterday I did a hips and abs class, for shits and giggles. Ended up on the floor, in extreme pain and agony. My quads just gave up, something like doing 20 rep squats, only worst. After about 2 years of almost non lactate tolerant training, they simply couldn’t make it out alive. I will keep doing this class once a week, just because I can’t get humilliated by a stupid aerobic class. Also, My classes for my IFAA degree start next week.

EDIT: Now that both of my shoulders are a wreck, I remembered I also did some heavy front raises with an EZ bar and a set of incline duymbell flyes. Never again.

If you want to play stopper your probably going to have lose some kgs.

tweet

5/11/2011 Lower day

Box squats @ 80%

40kgxsome
80kgxsome
120kgx2
150kgx2
175kgx2x5, really good sets, still great bar speed, still the bar explodes off my back at lockout.

Deficit pulls

100kgx3
130kgx1
160kgx1
180kgx1x5, great speed on these too. Hopefully in four weeks and I am going to hit 5 singles at 200kg. That should translate to a 245-250kg normal deadlift. We’ll see.

Power snatches from blocks

barxsome
40kgxsome
60kgx2x5, really light, exploded pretty fast.

Kneeling squat jumps to max vertical jump

BWx3
10kg each hand x3, stopped here since the movement wasn’t really explosive and I didnt want to do the with just my BW.

Also, I got a job as a part time trainer at my local gym. Good stuff.

My BW this morning was 2kg’s down. From 96kg to 94. I was like “the fuck?”, then I remembered that I run a lot at practise yestersay, so it was was water. I need hydration LOL

Back from work. Work sucks. Gym clients suck. Walking around the gym for 5 and half hours sucks. Anyhow, todays training was really short cause I wanted to get the hell out of there:

BB rows from deadstop:
barxsome
40kgx10
60kgx8
80x5
100x5
120x5
130x5

Pull ups
BWx5
BW 5kgx5
BW 10kgx5
BW 15kgx5, left around 3 reps in the tank.

Packed my stuff and ran the hell out of there.

10/11/2011 Bench today (@80%)

barxsome
40kgx3
50kgx3
70kgx2
95kgx1
105kgx3x5, still relatively easy. Let’s see next week what will happen.

DB Incline press
30kgx12x2

Face pulls
30kgx15
40kgx15
50kgx12

That was everything for the day.

Buddy,
How is the futbol going? You still at the same team?

I think you need to do more cardio, you look massive. How much do you weigh? Im planning to drops some weight myself for the next season. Its not easy running around for 90 minutes at 98 kg.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Buddy,
How is the futbol going? You still at the same team?

I think you need to do more cardio, you look massive. How much do you weigh? Im planning to drops some weight myself for the next season. Its not easy running around for 90 minutes at 98 kg.

tweet[/quote]

I weight 96kg atm, at 6’1. With my football gear on (gloves, goalkeeper pants etc) I weight something more than 100kg. My cardio as a goalkeeper ain’t that bad, but it ain’t good. Sure thing is I am going to bump it up with hill sprints or Tabata after I finish this 10 week cycle I am doing. Soccer is almost gone atm, no time available. We’ll see.

12/11/11 Squat day
Worst day in centuries. Now weight wise, but my DL technique SUCKED! I took a video of me deficit pulling and I looked liked dieselweasel in his early years LOL. Then, I did singles with normal DL, which also sucked, both sumo and conventional. I will post videos for us all to laugh at me. This week is going to be focused on increasing my mobility and flexibility in order to DL correctly again.Funny thing is, last week my deficit pull were perfect, this week they sucked.Strange things. Anyway:

Box squats(85%)
barxsome
60kgx5
100kgx3
120kgx3
147,5kgx2
167,5kgx2
187,5kgx2x5 (in the last set, I had another 3-4 reps in the tank. Good so far.)

Deficit pulls
100kgx2
140kgx1
185kgx1x2, saw my technique and stopped
About 6-8 more singles at this weight, working on technique.

Power snatches from blocks
60kgx2x3

Called it a day and left.

dude ur a beast at 18 damnnnn

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
dude ur a beast at 18 damnnnn[/quote]

thanks man, I aprecciate it. 19 in a couple of months :slight_smile: