Road to Drug Tested Nationals

Took a deload and got the meet in. Qualified for nationals with 1150 some total!

Didnt get the results or videos yet so not sure what the exact numbers are:

425.5 to chip the record. Missed my 2nd attempt, sunk it on my 3rd opted out of my 4th attempt
My bench was records all the way through - 250ish opener, and moved all the way up till I aimed high for a 296 3rd attempt
Deadlift was good, just need to push my hips through more. Got all whites, but got warned by a ref. Got up to 457ish

Bench was 15lb PR from last meet, Deadlift was 22lbs from last meet.

Working on some off-season goals of strongman stuff. So far so good

Day1 Highlights:
165x3 Axle push press
150 3x5 back offs
Some shoulder pain after doing nothing but bench for meet prep and heavy DOMs in the lats and serratus

Day 2 Highlights:
Backed off a little to work technique
141x1 on Log Clean and press
126x3 Clean and then Press 3x
126x3 Clean and press every rep

Axle deadlifts feeling great. Capped off at 405 last session, but also set the blocks way too low. Gonna try again off safety straps

Dialed back on Axle press this week for form 155x1 then back offs. realized I was programmed for 3… damn

Planning future powerlifting stuff as well. Going 220 Classic Raw soon to get the records and qualify for Drug Tested North Americans (my last meet was out of the qualification window) at 220.

So basically jump up to 220, lean out for Nationals at 198 (Get shredded for Summer :smirk:) and then do a comfy 220 at North Americans

WEnt to the venue to try the equipment, it was great!

Turns out the event uses a 12" log (I was using a 10 at the other gym), and the gym owner gave me lots of great tips for the stuff: cleaning from the sternum, keeping elbows back, keeping elbows high in the rack. Felt great. After all my working sets I took some time to get used to the lap position

112 log today: 162x1, then 137, 142 for 2x3

I HATE counting calories and macros, and I don’t because my dad cooks for me and I don’t wanna be bothered to measure stuff and whatnot. A lot of it is estimations like “That was an 8oz bowl, so let’s go with 8oz meat. My dad cooked 2 cups of rice, and between the two of us, half the rice we cooked is left, so let’s go with half a cup.” And really I just count the protein to make sure I’m around where I wanna be - I barely go above 150g at 200ish bodyweight, but I’ve been progressing in size and strength so no biggie

That being said, it’s easier to count/track when he’s away and I cook for myself. But I think I should focus on getting more diet in check and actually counting stuff on an app, especially getting up to 220 sustainably and then cutting to 198 intelligently.

Had a fun ol time at Static Monsters. Lifts were poverty as hell with a short peak time
Log:
160 for a good lift
170 for a miss
Got some rest and hit 170 again for a good lift

Axle Deadlift
Easy 420
Easy 440
Couldnt budge 450 - dang!

Might have gone better with more prep time. Might spend more time for this next year after I’m done with Nationals.

Gonna get back on my grind, just waiting to hear back from my coach, who just wrapped up a great showing at IPL Drug Tested Worlds.

1 Like

I am guessing you are younger so my advice is to not track except to make sure you get enough protein. Actually regardless of age but especially if younger as it really isnt ideal mentally.

If you want to lean out then try to do it instinctively. Maybe by like dropping carbs for your last meal or just eating a bit less each meal. If you get weak or staving then eat a bit more.

If you want to get bigger do the opposite :smiley:

Haha I’m actually 32, my dad lives with me.

But good call on the not tracking - I don’t do it because it just seems like too much work. I just eat till I’m full, and I’ve noticed that as I simply maintain weight I get leaner.

1 Like

Off season bodybuilding going great

Lots of squat and bench with short rest periods, working sumo off season. Transformer bar and Hatfield squats too.

Been eating mostly monster mash as well

This monster mash?

Not as intensive.

I cook up groundbeef, keep it in the pot. Then I cook up rice as needed in the rice cooker. I add chicken and beef bouillon for flavor and salt.

When it’s time to reheat the ground beef, I’ll add in frozen vegetables. Peas and carrots is my go to, but I’m thinkin of adding tomato too. And simmer some bone broth on the side. And then put it all together in a big bowl.

Sometimes I’ll do it with scrambled eggs instead of beef, or I’ll do both ground beef and scrambled eggs.

1 Like

I see. I found the old log and not this one lol

Too lazy to go into detail about my program, but I think this is a great space to share some reflection about my training.

My high rep ranges are weak AF, and don’t even come close to my 1RMs (which is expected), but I see dudes at my gym working off similar programming who squat, bench, and deadlift around what I do for 1RMs doing mid 3’s for squat and deadlift, but I’m off in 200s land (I am doing short rest periods after all tho?)

Dense training has been interesting too. Ever since I been divorced, I’ve been making plans after training, so I keep my rest periods short. Lots of giant sets on accessory movements when I can, and reasonably short rest periods on my main lifts. Although I gotta omit stuff here and there

Another sporadic update.

Making some good progress pushing accessory movements. Some shoulder pain from excessive vertical pressing.

Feelin good otherwise tho.

1 Like

Been building up my sumo bigly

When I last left off at Sumo, I was doing 365x5 on Sumo with 405-415 on Block Pulls, both in the same week. Might have been too aggressive for my strenght level back then (a lil less than a year ago), but now 365 on Sumo moved effortlessly. My other deadlift day is a 3x2 Tempo Deadlift, which I’m also creeping towards my old max.

Notable PRs:
Double Overhand PR for Sumo DL at 320, but strapping up now since
Volume PR for Close Grip bench - 3x6 at 225, 235, 245 - Wanna push these towards 290
Volume/Rep/Weight PR for Hatfield Squats in Sleeves - 325, 335, 345 - Wanna push these towards 405
Tempo DL - Conventional PR for 365x2 - Tryna push this up to 445x2

Shoulder pain still slightly nagging, but I been using the Transformer Bar on 1D setting for Low Bar

Spent a few weeks on Transformer Bar at 1D, and did some tempo on the duffalo bar today. Felt great.

Pretty much everything is being pushed all across. I tend to have to shit days once a week. Last week, bench and deadlift went great but squats felt rough. Squat and deadlift felt great this week, but bench felt rough. Focusing on rest, hydration, and nutrition this week around.

Been making rep PRs even droping some weight. Around 193-197 the last few weeks.

Started up a new public IG.

Here’s a Hatfield Squat Volume/Rep/Weight PR from last night:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9GQe7DnKOt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

340, 355, and a top set of 365x8

Some tempo work from the other day:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9KynjoAOPg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Ky5LVAuCd/

2 Likes

Sumo rep/volume PR!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QiFEnAfCD/
ALso some big ammonia hit:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9THZZeA50j/