Road to a 405 Raw Bench

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i have a raw bench in the 500’s. i would say that learning proper powerlifting bench form got me to 400 pretty quickly. getting into the 500’s took awhile… about 3 years. i get the most carryover to my full ROM bench with bench variations that allow me to train with supramaximal weights.

this is my new favorite bench variation, the foam press. it gives some pop off the chest allowing you to overload the top end with more weight than you would be able to handle otherwise while still being a full ROM movement.

Mr. Meat,

I am happy to see someone training the bench with movements employed by shotputters for many years. Some of those long armed freaks could really move some heavy weight fast! When I trained in this fashion, which was most of the time after about 20 year of age, my paused rep bench numbers increased as well. Good stuff.
Love the heavy ballistics!

[quote]bluejay wrote:

i have a raw bench in the 500’s. i would say that learning proper powerlifting bench form got me to 400 pretty quickly. getting into the 500’s took awhile… about 3 years. i get the most carryover to my full ROM bench with bench variations that allow me to train with supramaximal weights.

this is my new favorite bench variation, the foam press. it gives some pop off the chest allowing you to overload the top end with more weight than you would be able to handle otherwise while still being a full ROM movement.

Mr. Meat,

I am happy to see someone training the bench with movements employed by shotputters for many years. Some of those long armed freaks could really move some heavy weight fast! When I trained in this fashion, which was most of the time after about 20 year of age, my paused rep bench numbers increased as well. Good stuff.

[/quote]

and here i thought i was all cutting edge and shit:)

[quote]bluejay wrote:

Mr. Meat,

[/quote]

and here i thought i was all cutting edge and shit:)
[/quote]

HAHAHA I think the fact that you are applying this to powerlifting makes you cutting edge.
Plus you’ve got the rep here to make it kind of a big deal.

Hey meat I was wondering what your thoughts were about bands for speed bench using 6x3 or so. Is there any carryover for you? Do you ever do speed work for bench other than warmups?

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Hey meat I was wondering what your thoughts were about bands for speed bench using 6x3 or so. Is there any carryover for you? Do you ever do speed work for bench other than warmups?[/quote]

yes i do speed work as needed. when i feel my speed slowing and having to grind out sets that should be fast, i put it back in.

the way i do it is a bit unorthodox though. i typically go heavier than what is recommended, i do it after my ME work and i do a controlled eccentric and then a fast concentric.

since i’m such a video whore, here’s one of a speed set.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Hey meat I was wondering what your thoughts were about bands for speed bench using 6x3 or so. Is there any carryover for you? Do you ever do speed work for bench other than warmups?[/quote]

yes i do speed work as needed. when i feel my speed slowing and having to grind out sets that should be fast, i put it back in.

the way i do it is a bit unorthodox though. i typically go heavier than what is recommended, i do it after my ME work and i do a controlled eccentric and then a fast concentric.

since i’m such a video whore, here’s one of a speed set.

this thread

Thanks Kerley, appreciate it man! What are your numbers looking like?

[quote]tarheeliron wrote:
Thanks Kerley, appreciate it man! What are your numbers looking like?[/quote]

my bench is 225lbs, so i have nothing to add to this thread ill just take in all the info :slight_smile:

[quote]Kerley wrote:

my bench is 225lbs, so i have nothing to add to this thread ill just take in all the info :)[/quote]

What you do have to add to this group is the inspiration we’ll get by seeing you continually hit new personal records on the way to 405. We want to hear them.

Lift large!

I put up 365 lbs this AM with good form. That’s a recent PR. Felt like I still had 5-10 lbs still in me.

[quote]steveprez wrote:

[quote]Kerley wrote:

my bench is 225lbs, so i have nothing to add to this thread ill just take in all the info :)[/quote]

What you do have to add to this group is the inspiration we’ll get by seeing you continually hit new personal records on the way to 405. We want to hear them.

Lift large![/quote]

yeah thats a better way to look at it thanks!

After not lifting seriously for a couple years and my shoulders so messed up I couldn’t even touch the bar to my chest without pain… It’s now 6 months since that point and I just put up 405 2 board press last week.

Here we come 405 full ROM

Hell yeah Kerley keep us updated man, and everyone else it’d be great to hear any new PR’s. Barge, I hit a 405 2 board as well and my full ROM 1RM is 375 as of now. Great work man!

I was out of the hunt for a bit with some shoulder issues, but been healed up and feeling good for a few weeks now and hit 330 x 7 last week, should be getting dangerously close.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I was out of the hunt for a bit with some shoulder issues, but been healed up and feeling good for a few weeks now and hit 330 x 7 last week, should be getting dangerously close.[/quote]

Damn great job, you should be getting real close! When do you plan on attempting a 1RM next?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I was out of the hunt for a bit with some shoulder issues, but been healed up and feeling good for a few weeks now and hit 330 x 7 last week, should be getting dangerously close.[/quote]

Damn great job, you should be getting real close! When do you plan on attempting a 1RM next?[/quote]

It will probably be a month or more, I’m not maxing out on my shoulder for a while (hence the 7 reps at a lighter weight)

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I bet you you’re good for it now. I’m at about 335 x 6 (tough set), and I squeaked out 1 shaky rep with 405 2 weeks ago.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I bet you you’re good for it now. I’m at about 335 x 6 (tough set), and I squeaked out 1 shaky rep with 405 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

Awesome job bro, what’s your workout template looking like?

I just get in there and lift. I probably identify myself more with bodybuilding than powerlifting, but a huge focus of mine is getting as strong as possible. In general though, I go in and and ramp up to a top set on bench and incline (or derivatives of those, but they’re my favorites) once or twice a week, shooting for 4-8 reps generally.

Sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes I go in and hit some heavy doubles, triples, whatever, and occasionally I’ll see where my max is at.

But generally, I stick in the 4-8 rep range. Has worked for me so far. (I’m 21 years old, 6’1", and ~230lbs btw)