T Nation

Road To a 400lb Squat

I got 310 high-bar, atg last friday at just under 200lbs.

Anyway, I’m in. Starting 5/3/1 next week.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
I can probably squat 300 but have no spotters to test my max( I do but my OLY coach won’t let me…yet). So I have a LONG WAY to go and I’m cool with that. Currently have a few knocks on my left knee and ankle…oh well SQUATZ AND MILK :D.

Tell your coach to put you on the Russian Squat Routine[/quote]

lol I wish I could pick but hey that’s what a coach is for. Nice snatch by the way.

Did 365 3 or 4 months ago. I just got through 2 weeks of Smolov Jr, and couldnt finish the last week cause of a few problems. Not sure what my max is right now, but ill be doing the base cycle next month, and that should put me over 400.

I can do 140 kg for a good few reps, ATG low bar at 205 pounds BW roughly. Unless I’m mistaken 400 is around 180 kg’s, I wanna hit a single on that on my summer bulk. Can’t wait!

315x5 atg no belt or stuff

365x1 well below 90degrees no belt or stuff

crappy dieting now im stuck at 335 x 1

i should probably get a belt and some wraps, how much have they been helping you guys?

good morning sucks, never maxed but i rep out 225. i should probably work on that. and a more intensive program, only done 2 cycles of 5x5 so far.

smolov or 5/3/1 hmmm

I’m unsure of my raw max. Best squatting is 185kg in wraps and 220kg in a single ply suit, but I haven’t gone above 160kg without starting to wrap my knees. I’m not sure what i’m capable of.

After my next competition I’m going to do a block of raw squatting. I hope to hit 180kg completely raw and 200+ with knee wraps without too much training… I’m hoping i’m not too far off that now. I benched 300lb and deadlifted 500lbs in the same competition the other day (in a belt), so not far off being considered ‘okay’ haha.

Hey,
I squatted 385@162 about 3 months ago, and have just started the smolov base program. I should be hitting 400 (or 405, really) if i can survive the next 3 weeks. good luck to all!

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:

i should probably get a belt and some wraps, how much have they been helping you guys?

good morning sucks, never maxed but i rep out 225. i should probably work on that. and a more intensive program, only done 2 cycles of 5x5 so far.

smolov or 5/3/1 hmmm[/quote]

I use knee sleeves for safety mainly. I don’t know if they actually help with the lift or if its a mental thing. I’m no powerlifter so don’t quote me on it though.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
dfreezy wrote:

Tell your coach to put you on the Russian Squat Routine

lol I wish I could pick but hey that’s what a coach is for.[/quote]

True, but I don’t think any coach would mind adding some extra leg strength for an oly routine, unless you have a competition in the near future. I guess as a beginner though he probably just wants you to focus on technique and probably getting some platform experience. :slight_smile:

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:

smolov or 5/3/1 hmmm
[/quote]

i use a belt on my heaviest one or two sets. and go with the 531, it’s fun! good luck everyone.

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:

smolov or 5/3/1 hmmm[/quote]

I only use a belt on deadlifts, but do squats and good mornings without anything to build core strength… having said that, belt and wraps will help you out a lot, especially since you’ll be unracking more weight. To satisfy for that deficit I do rack walk outs with heavy weight in a low bar position and do calf raises with it. That way even my 1 RM is quite comfortable to me and I don’t need a spotter. (yet)

I just recently hit 405 lb. It was excruciating, but I did it.

Of course I weigh in @ 235 so its not as much of a feat considering.

When I initially started shooting for the goal of 400 plus, I weighed 205 and I know putting on the extra weight helped me get there. I hope you can reach your goal without having to gain the weight, but it will be tough.

I’ll add my name to the list. I’m looking to raw squat 400 by sometime this fall. I was pretty sore last night but managed to squeeze out 3 reps at 295 lbs (I’ve front squatted 295 lbs once). I think getting my squat up would probably be a lot easier except I’m also doing a lot of sprint and agility work, making it hard to find time to recover.

if you’re actually squatting ATG you don’t need a rack or spotter

I’m in, and I’d like to hit 405 before Winter 2010. I nailed 340 a couple of weeks ago and do sets of 6 with 300. I found that my max is pretty close to what I can rep compared to a lot of lifters. My lifting bud had a higher max thant me but if we took off 25-50#, I was able to do more reps, kinda strange.

I just did 340 for 3 (last one was rough) at a bloated 205 (so I weighed in at 210). I’m at least 20 pounds over weight which I’ll be burning off after this last week of this 5x5. If it all goes to plan, and so far it has, I’ll be doing 350 for 3 on monday.

I started out doing 5x300.

Going into a maintenance/cardio cycle for the rest of the summer so I can do more active things outside and get my conditioning up and mobility better. I’ll hit 405 by the end of the year easy I think. However I need to hit my quads hard during this maintenace cycle. I think my posterior is out of whack with my anterior.

Is there a website or thread where i can get more info on the 531 routine?

I hope that was joke!

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
dfreezy wrote:

Tell your coach to put you on the Russian Squat Routine

lol I wish I could pick but hey that’s what a coach is for.

True, but I don’t think any coach would mind adding some extra leg strength for an oly routine, unless you have a competition in the near future. I guess as a beginner though he probably just wants you to focus on technique and probably getting some platform experience. :)[/quote]
That’s exactly what he’s doing.

[quote]Vires Eternus wrote:
I just recently hit 405 lb. It was excruciating, but I did it.

Of course I weigh in @ 235 so its not as much of a feat considering.

When I initially started shooting for the goal of 400 plus, I weighed 205 and I know putting on the extra weight helped me get there. I hope you can reach your goal without having to gain the weight, but it will be tough. [/quote]

Thanks man, your avatar is sick.