T Nation

Road To 300 + 500

I recently came up with a goal. That is, to compete in a powerlifting meet. I plan to hit 300lb Bench and 500lb Deadlift before entering myself in a contest, my target weight would be 190-200lb.

Currently, I’m 170lb and my max is:
Bench Press: 215lb
Deadlift: 295lb

I have a long way to go, but i plan on hitting those goals within a year, and maybe less if possible.

I am currently on chad’s quattro dynamo program that i started today, and as soon as i’m done with this program, i’m going to start training extensively towards my goal.

Wish me luck!

I thought squats were also part of powerlifting competitions?

do you have Chad’s Muscle Revolution book??? get on the Total Strength Program is specifically designed for bench and squats or bench and deadlift strength increases…and not just 10 or 15 lbs, but alot of strength! im doing it in a few weeks for Bench and DeadLift…im currently maxing at 315 on bench and 355 on deadlift…im 5’7 183lbs…im shooting for about 340-350 bench and over 405 deadlift…

its a 12 week program and my buddy did it and it worked wonders for him…so hopefully it will work just as well for me if not better…good luck on ur road to 300 and 500!

[quote]MAS50 wrote:
I thought squats were also part of powerlifting competitions?[/quote]

I know, i’m making plans for it. But right now my main goals are bench and deadlift. squats will be coming soon!

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
do you have Chad’s Muscle Revolution book??? get on the Total Strength Program is specifically designed for bench and squats or bench and deadlift strength increases…and not just 10 or 15 lbs, but alot of strength! im doing it in a few weeks for Bench and DeadLift…im currently maxing at 315 on bench and 355 on deadlift…im 5’7 183lbs…im shooting for about 340-350 bench and over 405 deadlift…

its a 12 week program and my buddy did it and it worked wonders for him…so hopefully it will work just as well for me if not better…good luck on ur road to 300 and 500![/quote]

i plan on getting it soon! congrats on your gains! its really nice. what was your max before you started the workout?

I was wondering for a minute if I started this thread. :slight_smile:

Right now my numbers are similar and I have similar goals, but I’m also shooting for a squat in the mid 400’s.

Good luck man!

Good luck mate. A 300 and 500 for those lifts are a pretty decent weight. I myself am aiming for a 440 deadlift by the end of the year and and a 260+ bench.

Don’t forget the squat though! I would like to get at least 360 in this.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Right now my numbers are similar and I have similar goals, but I’m also shooting for a squat in the mid 400’s.

Good luck man! [/quote]

thanks man you too! how is your training regimen?

so for today…5/1/07

Maximal Strength
A1 5x3 Squat @ 195lb
A2 5x3 Lying Leg Curl @ 130lb
B1 5x3 Bench @ 175lb
B2 5x3 Seated Row @ 130lb
C1 5x3 Barbell Curl @ 70lb
C2 5x3 One-Handed Reverse Grip Tricep @ 60lb

Did that workout around 2pm today, I weighted myself at 170lb.

Then around 9pm, my friend asked me to go workout with him so i went. First i played some basketball then we hit the weight. I didn’t really want to do anything, but i was tempted to bench. So i did some singles.
1x10 @ 135 warm up
Then, 1 rep of 185,195,205,215,225(missed on the bottom) and i decided to call it a day.
I weighed myself again after and i was at 167. =[

At the moment, im eating some slim-jims and poptarts after a protein shake with glutamine in it.

Day 1 Over

[quote]Doh wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

Good luck man!

thanks man you too! how is your training regimen?
[/quote]

Ahhh, my training (using the term loosely) could be better. Due to other commitments I’m basically stuck with only two training sessions per week and like last night it didn’t start until 11:00pm. Not complaining though, I’m getting stronger and as the summer comes my schedule should lighten up so I can get in 4 sessions/week and more sleep.

I’m looking forward to following your progress Doh.

[quote]Doh wrote:
I recently came up with a goal. That is, to compete in a powerlifting meet. I plan to hit 300lb Bench and 500lb Deadlift before entering myself in a contest, my target weight would be 190-200lb.

Wish me luck![/quote]

Good luck with your goals. Those are respectable numbers, especially at your goal weight.

[quote]MAS50 wrote:
I thought squats were also part of powerlifting competitions?[/quote]

World Association of Benchers and Deadlifters

http://www.wabdl.org/

[quote]Modi wrote:
Doh wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck with your goals. Those are respectable numbers, especially at your goal weight.[/quote]

Does this goal include the weight of the bar as well? Modi would like to know??

meat

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
Modi wrote:
Doh wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck with your goals. Those are respectable numbers, especially at your goal weight.

meat

[/quote]

Nice.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
Modi wrote:
Doh wrote:

Wish me luck!

meat

Nice.
[/quote]

That’s cool. Why don’t you guys rub a little salt in an open wound.

[sarcasm] Don’t you guys have any reading comprehension? The bar is a counterweight, it doesn’t count towards the total. That was established on page 1. The train wreck ensued shortly thereafter. [/sarcasm]

[quote]4est wrote:
MAS50 wrote:

http://www.wabdl.org/[/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the link 4est. I didn’t know about those guys. Also, there are other federations have Push/Pull meets as well.

[quote]Modi wrote:
4est wrote:
MAS50 wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the link 4est. I didn’t know about those guys. Also, there are other federations have Push/Pull meets as well.[/quote]

Modi,
Have you ever been to powerliftingwatch.com? you can compare the different federations. It’s a really good site.

meat

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
Modi wrote:
4est wrote:
MAS50 wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the link 4est. I didn’t know about those guys. Also, there are other federations have Push/Pull meets as well.

Modi,
Have you ever been to powerliftingwatch.com? you can compare the different federations. It’s a really good site.

meat
[/quote]

Yes, thanks. Good site. That’s actually where I found my first meet, as well as my next one (which is a push/pull by the way).

[quote]Doh wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:

its a 12 week program and my buddy did it and it worked wonders for him…so hopefully it will work just as well for me if not better…good luck on ur road to 300 and 500!

i plan on getting it soon! congrats on your gains! its really nice. what was your max before you started the workout?
[/quote]

ahhh i guess i wasnt 100% clear on my post…i didnt do the workout YET but ill be doing it in about 3 weeks…im just leaving college and starting a job so at once im settled in with everything i will start the TSP program…i have to get my 1RMs for Bench (Close, Normal, and Wide Grip) and DeadLift…

if you want PM me and ill keep you informed with the workout and let you know how its going…im also working on what supplements to take while im on the program…im very excited to start it, and time isnt not going fast enough!!!

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
Doh wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:

ahhh i guess i wasnt 100% clear on my post…i didnt do the workout YET but ill be doing it in about 3 weeks…im just leaving college and starting a job so at once im settled in with everything i will start the TSP program…i have to get my 1RMs for Bench (Close, Normal, and Wide Grip) and DeadLift…

if you want PM me and ill keep you informed with the workout and let you know how its going…im also working on what supplements to take while im on the program…im very excited to start it, and time isnt not going fast enough!!!

[/quote]

ohh I see, good luck to u! keep me inform! i’ll be tracking my progresses here. I think ill be buying muscle revolution soon.

5/2/07

Endurance Day
A1 Military Press 2x25 @ 40lb
A2 Seated Lateral Row 2x25 @ 80lb
B1 Elevated Heel Squat 2x25 @ 45lb
B2 Lying Leg Curl @ 45lb

Well, the squat was harder than i thought it’d be. I was initially going to warm up with the bar but i realized i was already having difficulty getting to 20 reps, so i decided to use that weight.

Weight: 169lb

Currently drinking postworkout shake. About to make a triple decker pbnj sandwich