Road to 100

Alright, this is my official log for pull-up strength. I just bought a shiny new dip-belt and my goal is to get to 2 full, clean, pronated wide-grip pull-ups will 100 lbs hanging off of my waist.
My best was 2 pullups with 75 lbs.

Ultimately, I want to get to my bodyweight hanging off of my waist, but I’ll be happy with 100 lbs. for now.
Anybody wanna join?

Alright, here is my baseline established, circa today.
70 lbs for 1 rep. Barley. So I got some work to do.

why wide grip?

I am just using the classic pull-up form. I am not going supperwide, just slightly wider that shoulder width, you know the normal way. I cannot do suppinated grip, closer stance pullups. I have some biceps tendonitis that will not allow me to do it that way.

Cool. How many reps can you do right now with just bodyweight? I’d be interested in knowing how much that number increases when you hit your 100 pound goal.

And if you don’t mind telling–what is your bodyweight?

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
Cool. How many reps can you do right now with just bodyweight? I’d be interested in knowing how much that number increases when you hit your 100 pound goal.

And if you don’t mind telling–what is your bodyweight?[/quote]

I can knock out 15 to 18 reps on average, which is my warm up for the rest of my session.
I too am curious if that number will increase, but I don’t think it will. The only way I was able to break the 20 plataeu was to do forced reps with spotter. Since I don’t typically have one, I couldn’t maintain it. One good cold and it was gone.

Now I do think I’ll be able to get 45 lbs. up 5-7 times clean, where I am a 3 reps clean right now.

2/3/07 pull up routine.

1x16 Bodyweight
1x3 35 lbs
1x3 45 lbs
2x1 70 lbs.
1x4 45 lbs
1x2 45 lbs
1x6 Bodyweight

Welp, this one sucked. Progress promises to be slow I guess. This is going to challenge my rest periods. I usually function on short rest. I my have extend the rest periods for my back to recover.

how much do you weight noob

[quote]slickid wrote:
how much do you weight noob[/quote]

195 lbs.
What for you call me noob? I have been following this site since '98. Now where’s my cookie?

Anyone who owns a dip belt is definitely not a noob in my book

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
Anyone who owns a dip belt is definitely not a noob in my book[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve been training for 15 years. I concider myself quite seasoned. Yet, I still have a lot to learn. I have a full power rack and adjustable bench in my basement. As well as a big ass stereo. It’s my liitle slice of heaven. Once I score a full compliment of dumbbells, I may never leave the basement.

I find the dip belt very handy for working calves at home too. Ironically, I do not have a dip station, but I bought the belt for pull-ups specifically.

[quote]slickid wrote:
how much do you weight noob[/quote]

where the hell did this come from? I guess he was in a “noob-calling” mood

75 pounds hanging from you and your able to pull that up?? jesus christ

Right now I am working on being able to do ONE freakin pull up at wide grip with just my body weight.

When you said “that workout sucked” on your last workout post, dont be so hard on yourself man, the majority of people in the world cant even do one suppinated chin , much less a wide grip pull up.

He called you a n00b because you’re not fat enough to know that deadlifts are the only way to build the only back anyone could ever want: wide and giggly.

good work m8, keep it up, maybe ill beat you to that 100x2 mark:) i doubt it tho… i only do 8x3 at 55lbs

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
good work m8, keep it up, maybe ill beat you to that 100x2 mark:) i doubt it tho… i only do 8x3 at 55lbs[/quote]

Sweet! I meet you at the finish line. Then we’ll have a beer, the high gravity kind, to celebrate.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
75 pounds hanging from you and your able to pull that up?? jesus christ

Right now I am working on being able to do ONE freakin pull up at wide grip with just my body weight.

When you said “that workout sucked” on your last workout post, dont be so hard on yourself man, the majority of people in the world cant even do one suppinated chin , much less a wide grip pull up.[/quote]

I meant it sucked in terms of progress. And keep trying, you’ll get it. It took a long time to build up pull up strenght, but I cannot think of a more important upper body movement. Good luck and thanks for the encouragement.

2/6/07 Training log

1x15 Bodyweight
1x5 35 lbs.
1x3 45 lbs.
1x1 70 lbs.
1x1 75 lbs. (barley)
1x1 70 lbs. (Almost 2!)
1x4 45 lbs.
1x9 bodyweight.

Some improvement this time. Woohoo! Very high volume, I don’t intend to keep that up necessarily. I just want to get “used” to moving that weight around. That was fun!

2/14/07 & 2/15/07 logs.
Welp, I’ll consider this week an unplanned deloading week. I did not have the opportunity to share quality time with my rack and my dip belt. I did have an interesting week that may actually help me with my training sessions next week. 2/14 was at my work gym, 2/15 was at my home gym but time was cut short by a conference call I didn’t plan on having.

2/14/2007
1 x 18 bodyweight
1 x 6 20 lbs (dumbbell between the knees)
1 x 5 20lbs (narrow grip)
1 x 8 (using exercise band attached to the dip bars and strapped accross my shoulders and behind the neck)
1 x 3 20 lbs (exercise band and 20 lbs. dumbbell)
1 x 5 20 lbs
1 x 9 bodyweight

2/15/2007
1 x 18 -bodyweight
1 x 3 35 lbs.
1 x 5 35 lbs.
1 x 3 45 lbs.
1 x 1.5 70 lbs.
Cutoff, right here damn it!

Doing back to back days obviuosly left me weaker the second day. The band work was interesting as the tension was greatest at the top of the movement. I am going to incorperate that when I can.

I am going to give it a rest for two or three days an see if I can get back on the program. That is of course if things stop breaking in the house and everyone manages to stay healthy for a few days.

Sounds good to me!

Hey, my gym (YMCA) finally got a dip belt, so I just started adding 10-lbs to my bodyweight for pull-ups. Gee, isn’t that impressive?