Roaccutane and Joints?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
How bad was your acne though, Westcoast7? (answer your PMs, by the way)

I had cystic acne. Really, really bad.

I took Accutane for I think 10 months and it cleared up my skin. It is a VERY dangerous drug that seems to work well for the right candidates.

Accutane can also damage your intestines.[/quote]

Yea mine was pretty mild, I should have stated that. I guess in the case of severe cystic acne, accutane is pretty much your only hope, but I would strongly encourage people to try everything else first.

Sorry Ponce, I never see my PM’s anymore because of this damn layout change[/quote]

This if you have cystic acne accutane is the only thing that will help you. If your acne is mild-moderate and you can actually pop them diet has a huge impact. Once I began eating paleo cutting out most carbs (especially simple carbs), dairy and adding good fats my face cleared up. It makes addidng weight a bit difficult but, in my opinion worth it.[/quote]

Exactly what I did. The only carb I eat besides fruits and veggies is quinoa. No dairy, no gluten, no vegetable oils.

Diet is far and away the most important part of a healthy lifestyle, not matter what facet of your well being you are trying to improve.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]Lover95 wrote:
Modok:

No homo, but you’re looking very buff in that pic. You’re nipple looks sort of weird though. I think it’s because your pec is so big it’s made your nipple un-circular. Is that why?

I wasn’t recommending accutane, I was recommending retin-a, a topical medication. A topical medication that isn’t designed to be absorbed into the blood stream will almost always be safer than a medication which is absorbed into the bloodstream (antibiotics). If you have acne on you shoulders and your face, and you only use retin-a on your face, you’ll still have acne on your shoulders.

Any use of antibiotics can contribute to antibiotic resistance. In fact, low doses of antibiotics can be worse than high doses, because high doses will kill all bacteria, whereas low doses will allow the bacteria with some antibiotic resistance to survive. Antibiotic resistance is a serious problem, there’s already doomsday mrsa. You’re right, most antibiotics aren’t dangerous to use for most people, but they do cause liver strain. If you drink on antibiotics, that can cause liver damamge.

If you use antibiotics to reduce inflamtion and not kill bacteria, why not just use cortisone? Cortisone will be much more effective at reducing inflamtion, and is safer if it’s used topically. Antibiotics are used to kill bacteria.

I think you thought I was recommending accutane because my post wasn’t clear. Retin-a is less dangerous than antibiotics which are much less dangerous than accutane. Accutane is a very effective treatment, though. It tends to get vilified needlessly.[/quote]

I’m a Pharm.D./PhD in Pharmacology. I know a little about this stuff. There are great reasons for using macrolides for acne vulgaris that are readily available on PubMed or even Google. Corticosteroids due not act upon to inhibit the lipase enzymes that are responsible for the inflammation in acne. Corticoseroids would also retard the healing process of the open dermal wounds that accompany acne. I know you mentioned tretinoin topical, and that is a viable (but more expensive) option. Benzoyl peroxide, macrolide antibiotics (topically or orally) are the standard of care. In addition, macrolide resistance just isn’t a big deal. They aren’t used in the frequency of other antibiotic classes which would develop meaningful antibiotic resistance (such as vancomycin or fluoroquinolones). And we aren’t using them in low doses or short duration with acne vulgaris. These are standard doses for considerable lengths of time. I see no reason why meaningful resistance would happen.

Why are you looking at my nipples?
[/quote]

I agree with your post although I’m not sure I understand this sentence

In addition, macrolide resistance just isn’t a big deal. They aren’t used in the frequency of other antibiotic classes which would develop meaningful antibiotic resistance (such as vancomycin or fluoroquinolones).

Are you saying that macrolide resistance isn’t a big deal because its not used as frequently as vancomycin? or that it’s not a big deal because it is used frequently, unlike vancomycin? Resistance to vancomycin would be a big deal since it’s the last line of defense against AB resistant drugs and is used very rarely no?

Also, is there a specific macrolide you are referring to? I thought the general mechanism of action for macrolides was to bind to the 50S subunit to block ribosomal translocation, inhibiting protein synthesis

I had what Ill call moderate cystic acne (triggered by fluctuating hormone levels) and 6 weeks of minocycline and topical Duac gel (brand name) worked very well.

Judging from what i’ve read. I’ll give the topical creams another run. When I first tried them I was on a pretty awful diet. I just finished reading Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle and i’m adjusting my diet now for that.

If that fails after a few months, i’ll go take my prescription in and get some accatane.

Cheers for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.