RM For FBT? & What's Failure?

Anyone who has done this, wonder if you could answer my questions please?

I read that it says ‘8x3 using 18RM’ - is that right? ‘explosive strength’ ?

that seems a bit too light to me?

and can someone define ‘failure’ ?

I havent been using any training routines from T-Nation but intend to.

when I train (on my own) I usually do 4-5 sets on each exercise and I do each set up until I know I can’t perform the next rep with good form so leave it at that - is that training to failure or is it 1 rep short of failure? is training like that on every set overtraining? cheers.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Anyone who has done this, wonder if you could answer my questions please?

I read that it says ‘8x3 using 18RM’ - is that right? ‘explosive strength’ ?

that seems a bit too light to me?

and can someone define ‘failure’ ?

I havent been using any training routines from T-Nation but intend to.

when I train (on my own) I usually do 4-5 sets on each exercise and I do each set up until I know I can’t perform the next rep with good form so leave it at that - is that training to failure or is it 1 rep short of failure? is training like that on every set overtraining? cheers.

[/quote]

The 18RM isn’t too light considering that you’re supposed to be lifting explosively (ie: as fast as possible while maintaining good form); like dynamic effort lifting a powerlifter does.

Say if your 18RM for a given lift is 140 lbs and your 3RM for the same lift is 215 (or whatever). When you lift the 140 lbs you increase the velocity so that you’re putting the same amount of effort in as if you were lifting 215.

As for failure, that would be where you would reach failure on the last rep of the last set of each exercise; can’t do one rep more.

“As for failure, that would be where you would reach failure on the last rep of the last set of each exercise; can’t do one rep more”

so reading what I’ve posted above ^^ would you say I’ve been training to failure? and if so, too much?