T Nation

Riviera Maya, Mexico

Hey there! I’m looking for any advice, suggestions etc. from those who have traveled to this area of Mexico. Specifically I’m staying in Playa del Carmen. Looks like it should be a great time. Tips on any great, stand out activities, restaurants would be appreciated!!

Thank You!

i went to cozumel, which is an island across the channel from playa del carmen, about 45 minutes. I was there specifically for kitesurfing, and i found it was awesome.

I would check out the ruins, some of them are pretty lame and small, like the ones i saw on cozumel, were about the size of an office cubicle, but there are supposedly some huge old pyramids to check out at Tulum, south of you somewhat.

On cozumel i rented a small beater car and went on a dirt road to find a beach with a correct wind direction. I found an awesome deserted beach, but what i found over there is that the deserted beaches don’t have clean up crews(duh?). But there is so much Human junk that it almost brings tears to your eyes to see how we’ve fucked up such beautiful places.

I also loved coconuts so at night I would go around peoples houses and steal them from high up in the trees. One time i got a coconut that was literally the size of a basketball. I finished it all in one sitting, and that was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

enjoy the area.

I stayed in Cozumel for a good summer, which is right across from Playa del Carmen via a cheap ferry. The night life in Cozumel along the waterfront is very alive if you get bored. Also, if you’re into scuba diving Cozumel is world reknowned.

Carlos and Charlies, and Senor Frogs (both bar/restaurant types from the same company) are good places if you want to pick up tourist girls.

Playa del Carmen has amazing beaches, so be sure to experience it multiple times.

Enjoy your vacation!

Go to Chi Chen Itza (spelling). The size of the pyramid will blow your mind. As well as the history of the site. The acoustical properties of the “Ball Stadium” , forgot the name of the accient game played there, will also amaze you. Somewhat of a long bus ride, well worth the trip, take a camera.

We’ve been to the Riviera Maya 3 times in the last 2 years, you can’t beat it.

I went to Xel-Ha and Tulum in a one day package all-inclusive deal. It was fantastic! Some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. I will, however recommend going to Chitzen Itza and/or Xcaret.

Definitely spend an evening in downtown Playa del Carmen. Give Senor Frogs and Carlos n Charlie’s a try or just spend an evening walking down Fifth Avenue. Remember 5 dollars (US) will get you anywhere.

Have a good time. Kick back on the beach and enjoy it.

Damn nostalgia, I think I might plan another trip.

AG-

We have been to Playa twice. It was a great vacation! There are a couple of places to go to get lobster. The Big Lobster & The Blue Lobster. Senor Frogs is a lot of fun. It was destroyed by the hurricane. I know they are rebuilding but I don’t know if it is finished yet. It is right on the beach by the ferry that takes you to Cozumel. The food was amazing everywhere we went.

There are several nice places to shop, also. Most everything is located on the one street that goes through the middle of town. There are quite a few shops that sell jewelry at great prices. You can usually get them to come down on the price. That goes for any place you shop.

Where are you staying? We are planning to take another trip down there at Christmas. The people were very friendly & went out of their way to please you. I can’t say enough about how much we enjoyed our trip. Playa del Carmen is quite & far enough away from Cancun that you can relax. It is about a 45 min ride from the airport in Cancun.

Have fun!

Jana

I’ve stayed in Cancun and right outside of Playa De Carmen (PDC).

As far as ruins: Chichen Itza is far the best and Tulem is beautiful but small. I haven’t made it out to Coba yet, but plan too next summer.

Check out the Palace Resorts www.palaceresorts.com
Xpu-Ha is once nice little joint.

As far as clubs, Coco Bongo is the best, then The City, and Daddy O’s. But these are in Cancun which is about 45-60 minute taxi drive, and the last time I paid, it was $40 USD each way.

However, we did party a little in PDC, where there are a bunch of bars/restaurants on the beach.

Also, if you go to Cancun. Stop by the Taco Factory. Man, I love me some Tacos Arrancherra.

I will link to some pics I took in minute, if you wish to see some sites.

Thanks for all the responses! I think I need to change my screen name/and or avatar so its apparent i’m a female…lol!! (third response!)

Jana we are staying at the Paraiso del Mar. The kids are coming with and the travel agent recommended the place. I believe they can hang out at the ‘kids club’ to give us a break!

pics would be great!

Chichen Itza
http://digitalsynthesis.net/images/mexico/Chichen_itza/

Tulum
http://digitalsynthesis.net/images/mexico/Tulum/

The snorkeling is amazing. We paid for a trip to the edge of a reef to snorkel. However, the water was rough & the kids kept getting slammed against the reef. The guys who took us out were not very helpful, either. The next time we will snorkel off the beach at the resort. There is still a lot for the kids to see & I feel it is much safer with small children. We bought our own snorkel gear to take with us. Otherwise you have to rent their stuff. Not very sanitary in my opinion.

We are looking into staying at the Moon Palace the next time we go. It is closer to Cancun. There is a ton of stuff for kids to do there. I don’t know much about Paraiso del Mar, but I am sure it will be a great place to stay.

All-inclusive is the only way to go. Especially when taking your children. Our kids ate & drank whenever they wanted to. Ours are older but It will be fun for yours, too.

[quote]jana wrote:
We are looking into staying at the Moon Palace the next time we go. It is closer to Cancun. There is a ton of stuff for kids to do there. I don’t know much about Paraiso del Mar, but I am sure it will be a great place to stay.

All-inclusive is the only way to go. Especially when taking your children. Our kids ate & drank whenever they wanted to. Ours are older but It will be fun for yours, too.[/quote]

After many excursions to ‘The Snake’s Nest’ aka Cancun, I have stayed at:
Casa Maya
Cancun Palace
Club International de Cancun
Gran Melia Cancun
Aventura Palace
Moon Palace

My fianc? and I stayed at the Moon Palace this past June. The place is pretty big and has two lobbies. The All-Inclusive is nice, and they have different restaurants you can eat at so, the same meals don’t get boring. Plus, who can beat the drinks by the pool? Also, there are All-Inclusive plans with unlimited tours, so I would look into that, but just make sure you have the details sorted out before you get there, because once you do if something is wrong, they do not like to help, or at least Chaza Travel didn’t, and that is who we had to deal with because we used my parents’ Time-Share, which wasn’t that good of a deal. I will be looking for other options next time, like Costco. If you know of any other places to book a deal with the Palace Resorts let me know.

BTW
For a Taxi ride to the ‘hotel zone’ it is $18 bucks to and fro, and they do have a shuttle that runs two times a day that will take you to a shopping center. We did this, and then took the bus, 6 pesos, and then just ended up taking a cab back.

Anywho, here are a few pics of Moon Palace:

http://digitalsynthesis.net/images/mexico/MoonPalace/

Thanks all for the pics ( awesome ) and great posted and PM’ed advice and suggestions. I CAN’T wait to go!

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
Also, there are All-Inclusive plans with unlimited tours, so I would look into that, but just make sure you have the details sorted out before you get there, because once you do if something is wrong, they do not like to help, or at least Chaza Travel didn’t, and that is who we had to deal with because we used my parents’ Time-Share, which wasn’t that good of a deal. I will be looking for other options next time, like Costco. If you know of any other places to book a deal with the Palace Resorts let me know.

BTW
For a Taxi ride to the ‘hotel zone’ it is $18 bucks to and fro, and they do have a shuttle that runs two times a day that will take you to a shopping center. We did this, and then took the bus, 6 pesos, and then just ended up taking a cab back.

Anywho, here are a few pics of Moon Palace:

http://digitalsynthesis.net/images/mexico/MoonPalace/

[/quote]

The last time jana and I went - we booked everything through expedia.com. No muss no fuss, and no travel agents.

We will be booking through expedia again this year.

We always stay in Playa Del Carmen, be sure to check out www.locogringo.com Stayed at the RIU Yucatan in April and the beach was wonderful. www.riubambu.com Have fun!