Ritalin Vent

[quote]Sifu wrote:

What they never bother to tell parents is the drug they are feeding to their child is a methamphetamine whose chemical structure is almost identical to cocaine and that it is highly addictive. This is how millions of people have been turned into drug addicts.

[/quote]

Ritalin is not a “Methamphetamine.” The fact that you think it is tells me you know very little about chemistry, Ritalin, and other forms of ADD medication. “Methamphetamine” refers to the street drug meth and meth alone. “Amphetamine” refers to a group of drugs, which includes methamphetamine.

Ritalin is not even an amphetamine let alone a “methamphetamine” as you like to call it. Though Ritalin shares a similar chemical makeup to amphetamines, they are not the same. And if you have taken any kind of chemistry class, you will know even small changes in chemical structure can result in very different effects.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Ritalin is a ridiculous fiasco. I think ADD is an invented “disease”.

How can you take kids from the age of five through their teenage years, put them in a chair for 7.5 hours a day with maybe a 15 minute recess in elementary and expect them to focus on shit they are being forced to learn?

When I was little, a doctor told my parents I had ADHD and prescribed ritalin. I hated that shit and refused to take it. I did ok through elementary and jr. high but always hated being stuck in a class room when my tree house was a short bike ride away, my bb gun was just sitting in my room, my dog was chilling in the backyard…

The last thing I wanted to do was listen to some old bitch drone on about continental plates and multiplication tables, so I mostly drew pictures of dinosaurs in my notebook and day dreamed about the fun I could have been having if I could have some how escaped from school.

In high school I realized the fact that I wanted to go to college and would need good grades to get in to a good school and I buckled down, did well and went to a large university where I completed an MBA. I didn’t use ritalin, adderall or any of that shit, I just wanted to study, I had a reason. But according to some doctor, this shouldn’t have been my reality. I needed drugs right?

Fucking stupid. Give kids a purpose they understand and watch their concentration zone right in.

[/quote]
LOL! Holy shit. You sound EXACTLY like me in school. Dinosaurs and all.[/quote]

Dinosaurs were fucking awesome. My parents let me paint a dinosaur mural on a wall in my bedroom. I covered the whole wall with a jungle scene, complete with an erupting volcano in the background.

The star of the show was a T-Rex of course, eating a Brontasaurus. I had Pteradactyls flying around and some herds of Stegasaurases and Triceratops in the background too. I drew the preliminary sketch during math one day in 3rd grade.

It ruled.
[/quote]

Haha, you clearly STILL need Ritalin - this thread’s about drugs not dinos!

I jest ^^

I missed the Ritalin craze it seems however my cousin was put on it. I too echo the sentiments of most here and will leave this in good faith!

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Sifu wrote:

What they never bother to tell parents is the drug they are feeding to their child is a methamphetamine whose chemical structure is almost identical to cocaine and that it is highly addictive. This is how millions of people have been turned into drug addicts.

[/quote]

Ritalin is not a “Methamphetamine.” The fact that you think it is tells me you know very little about chemistry, Ritalin, and other forms of ADD medication. “Methamphetamine” refers to the street drug meth and meth alone. “Amphetamine” refers to a group of drugs, which includes methamphetamine.

Ritalin is not even an amphetamine let alone a “methamphetamine” as you like to call it. Though Ritalin shares a similar chemical makeup to amphetamines, they are not the same. And if you have taken any kind of chemistry class, you will know even small changes in chemical structure can result in very different effects.
[/quote]

I was going on what Doctors have written about it. It is made out of a modified amphetamine molecule. The DEA classes it as a schedule 2 stimulant. I know changes in the chemical structure can change effects. However the important ones an addict is looking for in amphetamine are still present. ie The dopamine response to Ritalin is four times greater than cocaine. The dopamine center of the brain is the part that is considered to be where addiction occurs.

But since you know so much more than me why don’t you tell us, what are the differences from amphetamine that you believe make Ritalin benign and safe?

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Ritalin is a ridiculous fiasco. I think ADD is an invented “disease”.

How can you take kids from the age of five through their teenage years, put them in a chair for 7.5 hours a day with maybe a 15 minute recess in elementary and expect them to focus on shit they are being forced to learn?

When I was little, a doctor told my parents I had ADHD and prescribed ritalin. I hated that shit and refused to take it. I did ok through elementary and jr. high but always hated being stuck in a class room when my tree house was a short bike ride away, my bb gun was just sitting in my room, my dog was chilling in the backyard…

The last thing I wanted to do was listen to some old bitch drone on about continental plates and multiplication tables, so I mostly drew pictures of dinosaurs in my notebook and day dreamed about the fun I could have been having if I could have some how escaped from school.

In high school I realized the fact that I wanted to go to college and would need good grades to get in to a good school and I buckled down, did well and went to a large university where I completed an MBA. I didn’t use ritalin, adderall or any of that shit, I just wanted to study, I had a reason. But according to some doctor, this shouldn’t have been my reality. I needed drugs right?

Fucking stupid. Give kids a purpose they understand and watch their concentration zone right in.

[/quote]
LOL! Holy shit. You sound EXACTLY like me in school. Dinosaurs and all.[/quote]

Dinosaurs were fucking awesome. My parents let me paint a dinosaur mural on a wall in my bedroom. I covered the whole wall with a jungle scene, complete with an erupting volcano in the background.

The star of the show was a T-Rex of course, eating a Brontasaurus. I had Pteradactyls flying around and some herds of Stegasaurases and Triceratops in the background too. I drew the preliminary sketch during math one day in 3rd grade.

It ruled.
[/quote]

Haha, you clearly STILL need Ritalin - this thread’s about drugs not dinos!

I jest ^^

I missed the Ritalin craze it seems however my cousin was put on it. I too echo the sentiments of most here and will leave this in good faith!

[/quote]
Touche!

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was going on what Doctors have written about it. It is made out of a modified amphetamine molecule. The DEA classes it as a schedule 2 stimulant. I know changes in the chemical structure can change effects. However the important ones an addict is looking for in amphetamine are still present. ie The dopamine response to Ritalin is four times greater than cocaine. The dopamine center of the brain is the part that is considered to be where addiction occurs.

But since you know so much more than me why don’t you tell us, what are the differences from amphetamine that you believe make Ritalin benign and safe?[/quote]

I never said Ritalin was benign and safe. My only concern over everything you wrote is the fact that you are comparing it to cocaine and meth. Its effects are NOTHING like meth. That’s obvious and i think you can see that.

Ritalin can be very similar to cocaine when you break multiple pills up and snort it or shoot it intravenously, but that is not what’s happening. I know a ton of kids who have used or are using Ritalin and it is purely for study purposes only. They leave it in pill form and don’t overdose on it. If drug addicts want to alter the pill and snort large amounts of it, so be it. But i can’t see Ritalin being a better alternative to cocaine, which I imagine is much cheaper. This isn’t the concern though. The concern is kids abusing it, which as you can probably tell by all the posts in here, these kids aren’t becoming addicted to this drug, because they are taking it in pill form at therapeutic levels. As for the therapeutic levels permanently damaging the kids brains, which is an equally important topic, please find me a few reputable sources that say that. That’s a HUGE claim, though i am not saying it isn’t true, just that you need to prove it because it’s so far fetched…

Discussions of ADD drugs and psychiatric drugs in general tend to be incredibly unproductive I’ve noticed because the “authoritative” information sources tend to be on one hand the pharma companies themselves, and on the other side you have a campaign of disinformation from the wonderful folks at the church of scientology (google something like “dangers of ritalin” and like 90% of the results are either pages by their front or loaded with copy and pasted info from their fronts). Throw into that mix a bunch of people speculating about psychiatric conditions they’ve never actually experienced along with the merits of drugs they’ve never used and you have a huge waste of time.

Next topic-
PMS. Did women make it up as an excuse to be bitchy?

Answer: As a man I feel quite confident that it is made up in all cases and is never a valid reason for women to be in an unpleasant mood. Clearly no women actually experience any symptoms and any who claim otherwise are fools or not to be trusted.

Internet Drs and conspiracy theorist thread. Hahahahahaha

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Internet Drs and conspiracy theorist thread. Hahahahahaha[/quote]

Gawd I hope you’re not referring to me

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Gawd I hope you’re not referring to me[/quote]

Actually no I was not. :slight_smile:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Such comments always leave me with a bit of a cultural vertigo.

Soooo, you are saying that in a country without completely socialized healthcare a doctors opinion is valued quite highly?

Dont worry, as the times are changing, so will you.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Soooo, you are saying that in a country without completely socialized healthcare a doctors opinion is valued quite highly?

Dont worry, as the times are changing, so will you. [/quote]

Your opinion has to be valued why?

I had a longer response but then deleted cause I see where you are from. Carry on Hans.

^LOL

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I had a longer response but then deleted cause I see where you are from. Carry on Hans. [/quote]

Yeah well, the joke really is on you, you just dont know it yet.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
^LOL[/quote]

easily amused, are we?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I had a longer response but then deleted cause I see where you are from. Carry on Hans. [/quote]

Yeah well, the joke really is on you, you just dont know it yet.

[/quote]

Why you have another short one balled wonder ready to take over the world?

A couple weeks back I was having a conversation with a young lady , in which she informed me that her 8 year old daughter just started using Ritalin . The young mother of 4 said she tried all sorts of behavioural-oriented methods to correct the issue …all to no avail before going the Ritalin route .

were talking about the differences in older versus newer parenting strategies when I tell her how my girlfriend didnt work at all as a young mother ; my girlfriend stayed at home with her young kids ; she worked part time when the kids went off to grade school , always home when the kids got home ; worked a more regular job when the kids got to middle/high school ; her and her husband (now deceased) did without multiple cars , cable TV , Mexican cruises ,motorcycles and snowmobiles , and every other modern day toy we all see packed in our neighbor’s garages ; did without soccer lessons , dance lessons , guitar lessons , karate lessons , cooking lessons , homework lessons , tennis lessons …but they didnt pay anybody else to raise their kids .

when the young mom , who happens to be MY daughter , realised I was trying to make a point , she abruptly stated …"but I dont want to sit around the house all day "

I guess thats where the Ritalin comes in

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Gawd I hope you’re not referring to me[/quote]

Actually no I was not. :slight_smile: [/quote]

<3 <3 <3 <3 Go Cowboys!

Did someone say Dinosaurs?

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote: