Rita

we live on west side of H town, people have been in line on the freeways for over 12 hrs. there is no gas, i can’t see any way that the trucks can make it in due to traffic. people are in line waiting for the gas trucks. it’s a mess. we’re stocked up and will hang tight for now. we can’t get anywhere at this point anyway. pray it downgrades as quickly as it grew!

I’m watching the live shots of Houston’s freeways. Why don’t they open bothe sides of the freeway for outbound traffic only?

I’m sure that it wouldn’t be that much of an inconvenience to the few that are not leaving.

Well - they just announced that Houston will make all North-South freeways North-bound only very shortly.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Well - they just announced that Houston will make all North-South freeways North-bound only very shortly.

[/quote]

Ask and you will receive! What powers you have.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Ask and you will receive! What powers you have.[/quote]

If everyone in the world would just heed the wisdom rainjack -

Current track is putting it hitting between Beaumont and Galveston. I live inland, 100 miles due N of Beaumont. Seems like a long ways, but with a storm this big, we’re being told to expect 70 mph+ winds here, tornadoes, etc. Being as I’m a firefighter, I’m staying, sending the family up above Dallas to the in-laws ranch. Got plenty of canned food, water, propane, gasoline and a new bottle of Spike.

It’s gonna be fun.

Stay safe. The thoughts and prayers of everyone here at T-Nation are with all of you.

Thanks. We really appreciate it.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’m watching the live shots of Houston’s freeways. Why don’t they open bothe sides of the freeway for outbound traffic only?

I’m sure that it wouldn’t be that much of an inconvenience to the few that are not leaving. [/quote]

Cause retards like myself are having to use the freeway to get in to downtown for emergency work. They are opening it up just before Conroe, so that should ease the burden.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
Thanks. We really appreciate it.[/quote]

Ditto on the thanks.

i seem to be quite screwed. my vehicle has been running on fumes for days and every cockgobbling SUV driving asshole in the city of houston decided to come to my neighborhood and top off thier tank that was already 7/8 full. greedy fucking assholes have now taken all of the gas in town, even though they aren’t going anywhere, AND THEY DIDN’T FUCKING NEED IT.

i was supposed to spend the weekend out of town, planned out long before hurricane rita, but now i will be stuck here as my car ran out of gas in the parking lot earlier when i tried to start it.

however, how many times in your life do yo get the oppotunity to see a storm this big and powerful up close? think i’ll sit out on the porch with a few beers and watch it blow in.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
i seem to be quite screwed. my vehicle has been running on fumes for days and every cockgobbling SUV driving asshole in the city of houston decided to come to my neighborhood and top off thier tank that was already 7/8 full. greedy fucking assholes have now taken all of the gas in town, even though they aren’t going anywhere, AND THEY DIDN’T FUCKING NEED IT.

i was supposed to spend the weekend out of town, planned out long before hurricane rita, but now i will be stuck here as my car ran out of gas in the parking lot earlier when i tried to start it.

however, how many times in your life do yo get the oppotunity to see a storm this big and powerful up close? think i’ll sit out on the porch with a few beers and watch it blow in.

[/quote]
I hear there is a lot of gas stations on the beltway that have a supply.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
Current track is putting it hitting between Beaumont and Galveston. I live inland, 100 miles due N of Beaumont. Seems like a long ways, but with a storm this big, we’re being told to expect 70 mph+ winds here, tornadoes, etc. Being as I’m a firefighter, I’m staying, sending the family up above Dallas to the in-laws ranch. Got plenty of canned food, water, propane, gasoline and a new bottle of Spike.

It’s gonna be fun.[/quote]

Stay Safe – you will have it much worse than I. I am concerned about going to work in the Dallas area and then not being able to get home to my family or even worse, being stuck at work – firefighter as well. Not really sure how hard we will be hit up here.

Stay SAFE – remember, you did not cause the emergency!

haney that is good news, but i live in the woodlands and my car ran out of gas. i think that’s probably a little too far to hike.

The petro/chemical industry is all over the place from the LA/TX border to the TX/Mexico boarder.

No matter where Rita lands it will cause serious problems.

Expect gas to reach $4 per gallon or more. This will also help drive our natural gas prices (per decatherm) off the charts. In 1999 natural gas was trading $2/decatherm. Today natural gas is trading at $12+/decatherm.

Giddy up…this is the way it will be from now on.

After the devestation caused by Katrina, we here in El Paso took in thousnads of evacuees from NO and other affected areas. I am confident in speaking for our wonderful city, way out here in bone-dry West Texas, come on down here and have yourselves a nice little vacation while this Rita thing passes; you and yours’ are welcomed with open arms and the Mex-Tex food down here is real; don’t take on Mother Nature…she’ll win for sure.

MB

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
haney that is good news, but i live in the woodlands and my car ran out of gas. i think that’s probably a little too far to hike.[/quote]

small world! I live just south of the woodlands by about 2 miles. If you survive we will have to start a T-Nation chapter for north h-town.

It sounds like the refineries will be hit. many are designed to stand a hurricane. A level 5 I don’t know. It will hurt them. Most of the ones in La. did not get destroyed but got flooded. The employees were also not available to get them back on line.

Texas most likely will not flood as bad or for nearly as long. However a supply disruption will occur. The industry has lined up people from all over the country to get them back on line. A lot of teams are ready to come in. Gasoline supplies should only be impacted for a few days. Again, according to plan…you all know how plans go, especially when nobody told Rita.

Kudo’s to Texas emergency folks and planners. They have their poop grouped.
High spirit and lessons learned and incorporated.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:

[/quote]

That’s what I did for Katrina, and it is an awesome experience, but it is dangerous. I watched my awning blow off the house and drop accordian style right in front of the table we were sitting on under the porch. NOT COOL. But I did consume a record amount of beer during the strom. Being buzzed and feeling the gusts is pretty nice. But the wind-blown rain sucks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170064,00.html

Oh shit.