Rising Fuel Prices! WTF!?

Could someone please logicaly explain why in the fuck gas is jumping up in price in 25-30 cent intervals? I mean, seriously? I just got back from the hardware store and gas is @ $3.25/gallon. Yesterday it was $2.98/gallon

What

The

Fuck.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Could someone please logicaly explain why in the fuck gas is jumping up in price in 25-30 cent intervals? I mean, seriously? I just got back from the hardware store and gas is @ $3.25/gallon. Yesterday it was $2.98/gallon

What

The

Fuck.[/quote]

Don’t know but I hope the fuckers making record profits each quarter choke. There is no reason except greed.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

What

The

Fuck.[/quote]

Anticipation to the invasion of Iran.

Supply - Demand.

Those shouting “greed” each time the prices rice just doesen’t understand how the market works.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
bigflamer wrote:

What

The

Fuck.

Don’t know but I hope the fuckers making record profits each quarter choke. There is no reason except greed.[/quote]

Current reasons are refining problems (it was the crude supply last time). Or as I like to call it, insurmountable greed.

Does anyone know the last time a major oil company posted a LOSS?

[quote]Ren wrote:
Current reasons are refining problems (it was the crude supply last time). Or as I like to call it, insurmountable greed. [/quote]

Excellent!

The Occidental Petroleum Corporation officers disclosed a couple of weeks ago that Chief Executive Ray R. Irani took home more than $460 million in compensation in 2006. Market forces my ass!

Around the 1870s, the discovery of Margarine negatively affected all olive oil companies.

Oh! You mean THAT oil? Nevermind…

Huge taxes on private companies is all well and good; capitalism is probably over-rated anyway. Meanwhile, we should make sure nobody interferes with the governments’ profits. After all, the poor government always needs more money(for welfare and social security), not like those greedy cocks that just produce something we all fucking use every damn day.

[quote]Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues - more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period.
[/quote]

Source:

How about everyone just takes two weeks off from work this summer (all at the same time), not go anywhere, don’t buy, consume, or contribute in any way to the economy to send a message.

On the other hand, that’s probably what we should already be doing to conserve resources. Let them try to talk about supply when demand drops for two straight weeks over the summer.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Supply - Demand.

Those shouting “greed” each time the prices rice just doesen’t understand how the market works. [/quote]

It is greed. Greed is how the market works. Greed gets me up in the morning.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It is greed. Greed is how the market works. Greed gets me up in the morning.[/quote]

[i]greed: n.

1: excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves

2: reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: {avarice}, {covetousness},
{rapacity}, {avaritia}][/i]

[quote]lixy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
It is greed. Greed is how the market works. Greed gets me up in the morning.

[i]greed: n.

1: excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves

2: reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: {avarice}, {covetousness},
{rapacity}, {avaritia}][/i][/quote]

We all have more than we need.

Mother Theresa was not greedy. Almost every member of modern society is.

Greed and other vile instincts help make the world go around.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Greed and other vile instincts help make the world go around.[/quote]

I agree with you that self interest is what drives humanity; however, to claim that “greed” is virtue is a bit overblown. This makes the assumption that if everyone acted altruistically in the interests of the whole that we would be worse off than we are now.

Do you think the majority of humanity is motivated to accumulate as much wealth as would be needed to put them in the Trump category, for example? Do you think the ultimate end goal should always be to become “wealthy” beyond a certain standard deviation of the norm? Do you think there are enough natural resources to provide this kind of wealth to everyone? Do you think only certain individuals should benefit from these resources?

What is the difference in accomplishing a goal to benefit humanity via altruistic means v. self interest if the overall outcome to its historical significance is the same? The only difference is that wealth is not the ultimate end goal but only a result of accomplishing a specific goal.

The work that 99.999% of humanity does not benefit them the same way it does .001% of the people whom own the means of production.

Greed does not motivate the vast majority of humanity. This is not even the right word to use–this is a word that describes those who lust for possessions and would deny the same to others to benefit themselves only.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Greed and other vile instincts help make the world go around.

I agree with you that self interest is what drives humanity; however, to claim that “greed” is virtue is a bit overblown. …[/quote]

Greed is a virtue as much as it is a curse. Like many things in life we should try to balance our instincts for greed and our instincts for charity.

Accumulating wealth at the expense of everything else is bad.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

What

The

Fuck.[/quote]

Sure. Companies like Exxon have to be very profitable in order to pay their CEO’s $800,000,000.00 retirement package, and inflated upper level salaries.

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Supply - Demand.

Those shouting “greed” each time the prices rice just doesen’t understand how the market works. [/quote]

When Bill Gates released the newest Xbox, it was sold out in stores. People were paying 5X+ the store price for an Xbox on ebay just to get one.

I suppose you believe Bill Gates does not understand supply-demand? The price of the Xbox was not inflated even though the demand was high and the supply was low.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
Supply - Demand.

Those shouting “greed” each time the prices rice just doesen’t understand how the market works.

When Bill Gates released the newest Xbox, it was sold out in stores. People were paying 5X+ the store price for an Xbox on ebay just to get one.

I suppose you believe Bill Gates does not understand supply-demand? The price of the Xbox was not inflated even though the demand was high and the supply was low.

[/quote]

Bill Gates COULD have earned far more, but than again, looking at one product from a company that has quite a few products and deducting theory from that is poor science.

I would recommend the book: "Basic Economics - A citizen’s guide to the economy (Thomas Sowell) to all that want a quick intro to how prices work and how prices regulate markets.

To quote the first chapter of the book:

“Many people see prices as simply obstacles to their getting the things they want. Those who would like to live in a beach-front home, for example, ma abandon such plans when they discover how expensive beach-front property is. But high prices are not the reason we cannot all live on the beach front. On the contrary, the inherent reality is that there are not nearly enough beach-front houses to go around and prices simply convey that underlying reality”

The reality at hand here, is compromised of several factors. Enviromental factors, tax-factors, demand-factors and several more. Just stating that it is “greed” is… well, simply put: flawed.

At least 3.29 for gas is still pretty cheap.

The oil industry obviously makes incredible profits for a select few but the positive effects of its success on all people in America is not to be discounted. Whether or not this fair to the rest of the world is another topic.

I don’t mind paying for something as valuable to me as gas even if it makes someone else grotesquely over paid. Many people in America are grotesquely overpaid. I rather enjoy the fruits of living among wealth and have to endure decadence than struggle with destitution.

Lets get real here, what good thing in life doesn’t have risk and side effects?
The greed of oil companies may well one day cost us a hell of a lot more than we bargained for but until that day I will be thankful for this fuel saturated life.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:

The oil industry obviously makes incredible profits for a select few but the positive effects of its success on all people in America is not to be discounted. Whether or not this fair to the rest of the world is another topic.

I don’t mind paying for something as valuable to me as gas even if it makes someone else grotesquely over paid. Many people in America are grotesquely overpaid. I rather enjoy the fruits of living among wealth and have to endure decadence than struggle with destitution.

The greed of oil companies may well one day cost us a hell of a lot more than we bargained for but until that day I will be thankful for this fuel saturated life.

[/quote]

Good post.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:

[/quote]

Well said. Gas is expensive. Big deal. It’s not the end of the world. Yes, I miss the .99c per gallon days (especially when I fill my Suburban), but at least I live in a place where I can own a nice car, drive on nice roads, live in a big, safe house and not a mud hut with a donkey out back. Supply and demand. If we are willing to pay, the prices will go up. THe situation in the Middle East has nothing to do with the high cost of gas, not when all the major oil companies are making record profits. Also, check how much your state charges in tax on each gallon. In Georgia it’s 60 cents per gallon. By stock in Exxon.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:
I rather enjoy the fruits of living among wealth and have to endure decadence than struggle with destitution. [/quote]

That was beautifully stated. But I must point out that it carries the TINA (there is no alternative) fallacy. Anyway, we’re getting into a whole different topic here.

Let me add that 3.29 is nothing compared to what people are paying in the rest of the world.