The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

I know my body well enough to know it would cheat :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, might try them at some point.

1 Like

Then why do mine hurt for a week :wink:

1 Like

Pro tip for step up: the leg that you are not stepping up with, place a 5kg plate under the heel of that foot. That way you just think ā€œheel to plateā€ and it makes it easier to stop you cheating.

I normally have my step up box beside me and hold 1 dumbbell with the opposite side hand Iā€™m stepping up with.

Make sense?

3 Likes

Because you use your quads a bunch, they just arenā€™t the main driver. They play a key role at certain points, but how hard they work is going to depend a lot of your stance, your leverages, etc

1 Like

Totally, I just did some BW step ups.
Now Iā€™ll try them like you described :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find it hard to not try to drive really hard with the quads especially if the bar stops going up. Any tips to use the posterior chain more ?

Sit back. Think of driving your hips forward as you come up.

So much Rippetoe: ā€œHIP DRIIIIIIVVEEEEEā€

3 Likes

Woke at 81,3 kg ā€“ 179,2 lbs

Yesterday 2400 calories.

Yes Iā€™m backing of a bit. Iā€™m 53 and very vain. Iā€™ve got these skinny legs and arms with veins popping out all over, and fitting that with a belly hanging out over the belt is not looking good. Iā€™m not cutting at all, just going to sit on maintenance around 80 - 81 kg.

Todayā€™s training

Rise of the Viking 5/3/1
C3W4D3

Warmup: Jump rope, stretch, yoga stuff, kneeling bottom up KB press, band work

SGHP
5x40, 5x50, 4x55, 3x60, 2x65, 1x70 kg

Bench Press

3 x 60 kg, 67,5 kg, 75 kg, 82,5 kg all reps paused

4 x 90 kg 198 lbs first rep paused PR by 2 reps (tying an all time rep PR from 2 years ago).

Overload unrack for 10 sec
1 @ 105 kg

Back off
3 x 6 @ 60 kg 3 count pause at chest and 3 count pause 1-2 inch above chest. Good stuff.

OHP
6 x 2 @ 42,5 kg
SS
BB row between the first 3
3 x 10 @ 35 g
Step ups between the last 3
3 x 10 BW.

Push up
3 x 12
SS
DB curl
3 x 12 @ 8 kg

Done in just under an hour

Tying my old 90 kg rep PR was kind of cool, it was way stronger and at that time I did 2 ugly reps with 2 plates, so Iā€™m closing in I can feel it.

Step ups were a new experience very wobbly and unstable, but felt my quads a lot.
Went down and tried one set like Irish said, side to and 5 kg db in the hand and a plate under the heel. Definitely BW for a while, if Iā€™m keeping them.

Tomorrow and throughout the weekend itā€™s a motorcycle ride to Sweden with my buddies. This is going to be a great time. So deload it is.

WOHOOO Born to be wild

Last year on a Swedish gravel road in the rain. And my ride

IMG_0847

13 Likes

If you do step ups correctly then you wonā€™t need any weight for awhile. Everyone Iā€™ve ever seen use weight on them has cheated by pushing off with their trail leg. And then they donā€™t do much to control the eccentric.

@simo74 you and I are high bar squatters with longer legs. I feel quad dominant. I have to go as deep as possible and really hit fatigue to feel it in my glutes.

2 Likes

Enjoy that motorcycle ride man. Iā€™ve shared a few with friends in years past. Let the wind take your worries away and Ride!

1 Like

I will do that Hog, I will. Itā€™s so relaxing and we have a great time with bonfire, steaks and histories from the past.

4 Likes

Woke at 81,1 kg - 178,8 lbs
2500 calories yesterday.

This is me in about an hour WOHOOOO :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :smile:

10 Likes

I love it man, have a fantastic ride!! be safe!

1 Like

Woke at 81,4 kg - 179,5 lbs

Todayā€™s training

Rise of the Viking 5/3/1
C4W1D1

Warmup: Jump rope, stretches, kneeling bottom up KB press.

SGHP
8 x 42,5 ā€“ 47,5 ā€“ 52,5 ā€“ 57,5 kg

OHP
5 x 40 kg Heavy
5 x 45 kg uhh
5 x 50 kg RPE 9,5
5 x 40 kg No more.

Bench paused
6 x 2 @75 kg

30 minutes and that was probably a mistake.
Was a bit sick during the roadtrip. A bit of cold and a sore throat. Coughing thru the night.
Still feeling sick, damn, but thought wtf itā€™ll do me good.

Almost at Jack shit workout. One topset of 5 I planned doing 2 or 3 sets of 5 with a amrap on the last set.
Wasnā€™t going to happen, even the backoff was off.
Did my 6x2 dynamic bench 2 reps paused was kind of okay.

The good news my road trip was absolutely awesome, 3 guys 1000 km in 4 days. First two days a bit cold but sunny, then a heat wave struck and the last two days where hot.
The evenings spend at the campfire were the dinner was barbecued, a great glass of wine to go and endless stories from the past.
Great way to recharge the batteries.
This sickness better be gone by Saturday when DL comes around.

12 Likes

woke at 81,4 kg - 179,5 lbs
about 2500 calories yesterday.
Still not feeling very well. Taking the day off to get better and moving squat for tomorrow.

6 Likes

Feel better!

1 Like

Sounds awesome man.
hope you feel better soon

1 Like

Woke at 81,5 kg - 179,7 lbs
Didnā€™t track food yesterday but didnā€™t go all in.
Hoping to get my squat session in later today, feeling a better.

3 Likes

Sometimes a few days off is whatā€™s needed to kick a bug like that, or I have found the bugger can linger for longer leading to more shit lifting sessions

2 Likes