The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Today’s training

Rise of the Viking 5/3/1
C3W1D4

Warmup: jump rope, agile 8, yogastuff, stretches, band work.

Powerclean to pushpress
3x 42,5, 47,5, 52,5 kg + 2 x 57,5 kg 1 x 62,5 kg Good and strong.

Deadlift Kroc program

5 x 5 @ 127,5 kg - 281 lbs
Double overhand, hook, straps x 2, mixed

Giant set of

Squat
6x2 @ 80 kg - 176 lbs

Chins
5 x BW, 2,5 kg, 5 kg, 7,5 kg, 5 kg, 2,5 kg, BW

DB incline bench press
5 x 10 @ 25 kg - 55 lbs
Done in 1 hour 10 minutes.

Deadlift was strong, all sets beltless.
BUT I couldn’t hold on to the bar 3 reps double overhand, had to switch to hook. Hook grip was slipping too. Straps is meh, mixed is by miles the strongest grip.

Squats moved well, Chins were a bit tough, DB incl bench easy.
Good and average workout.

8 Likes

What is it you dislike about straps?

Agreed. I start my deadlifts using a mixed grip until the back of my right hand (my underhand hand) starts to hurt, then I switch to straps. Mixed grip is the best for conventional, for sumo I can go with straps or mixed. Still working on my hookgrip during warmups so i can slowly get more comfortable with it lol. Looks like a solid workout though, awesome stuff mort!

I found using straps is actually a skill. At first, they feel crappy. Once you get used to them, they’re a huge help BUT it becomes quite a different exercise.

It’s hard to tell. I’m still new to deadlifts and squats, but I think I feel much tighter with the mixed grip.
It’s as if I loose some tension with straps and they hurt my wrists a bit.

woke at 81,7 kg - 180,1 lbs
had a lot of barbecue ribs, wine and beer yesterday.
So nothing serious :slight_smile:
Lower back is really fatigued to day.
After months of no badminton we might have a session today… meaning damn sore glutes tomorrow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the same issue but once I got used to using straps\setting up slightly differently in my case they are now a huge help.
Takes a bit of time, I use them mostly for BORs anyway

1 Like

I’m beginning to think you’re not getting set up correctly with straps. I love using them. I wrap tight around the bar and spin the bar and roll it back and forth until I get each hand nice and snug, and evenly snug (one tight and one loose sucks). It changes nothing on my set up or form. I have even used them for reverse grip bent over rows in the past.

3 Likes

@painter27 @Frank_C would you suggest to use straps in the warmup sets? alternating? with and without?

And got 1 hour and a bit of badminton today, definitely gonna feel that tomorrow.

I only use them when I need them. I do double overhand grip as long as I can. If the lift starts being more about grip than pulling then I add straps.

1 Like

Wouldn’t use straps with warmups
Pull double overhand as long as you can -warmups, maybe even a working set or two. When you feel like your grip won’t hold the entire next set add straps.

3 Likes

Basically what @danteism said, I only strap up when I know grip will be a issue

3 Likes

I personally treat deadlifts and grip training as two completely different things. I start using straps before grip will be an issue. I can set up way better with straps anyway.

2 Likes

That’s also a strongman thing, isn’t it? You guys usually can use straps for DL, so it makes sense to get good at that.

1 Like

Woke at 81,1 kg - 178,8 lbs
About 2700 calories yesterday.

About the strap thing, I think I’ll use it for one warm up set, just to get used to it. Otherwise just as I’m doing now.

I’m leaning against just using straps or mixed grip on the working sets.

Thanks for the adwise guys.

1 Like

Yep, a deadlift without straps is pretty rare.

Today’s training

Rise of the Viking 5/3/1
C3W2D1

Warmup: Airdyne, stretches, yoga stuff, kneeling bottom up KB press.

SGHP
8 x 42,5 – 47,5 – 52,5 kg
7 x 57,5 kg

OHP
40 kg x 5
45 kg x 3
50 kg x 3 Heavy but strong
50 kg x 8 REP PR – Still Heavy first 5 were fast and quick, last 3 a bit slower but no leg drive.

Overload
Push pres 3 x 1 @ 60 kg hold for 10 seconds in top position.

Back off
45 kg x 8
40 kg x 8

Bench paused
6 x 2 @ 72,5 kg
SS
DB one arm row
4 x 9 @ 35 kg
11 x 35 kg

dip BW
17, 9, 5 Rest pause PR by 4 total and 2 on first set.

EZ Curl
Ramp to 47,5 kg x 1

350 set
32,5 kg 22, 14, 11 = total 47 reps new weight.

AB wheel
3 x 14 @ BW

Airdyne for 5 minutes at the end.

1 hour 10 minutes.
OHP a bit fatigue from badminton yesterday, but a PR anyway. Happy
I planned to do a circuit at the end, but liked the 350 set to much. So kept them

6 Likes

Nice workout and REP PR!

Thanks LL I’m really happy to be back at PR work. Did 2 cycles of more volume based stuff and it has paid off.

3 Likes

OHP PRS all day!

2 Likes