The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

I’m pretty new to deadlifting. I only did my beloved power cleans for my pulling work until late 2016. I’m pretty sure the 600 lb deadlift thread motivated me to go max out and add it to my program. Last year I had my normal deadlift day on Monday (5/3/1) and then I started doing snatch grip deads on Thursdays. I followed the Training Maximally protocol for both. I felt that the snatch grip forced me to use less weight (obviously) and almost acted like a challenging, but lighter session. I’ve had good luck with doing a heavy session early in the week and following it with a near identical lighter session later in the week. I pulled 450 lbs when I maxed out with my 600 lb deadlift thread inspiration. In May or June of last year I pulled 455 lbs while doing the program I just mentioned. I came back the next week and hit 465 lbs and felt great. I threw on 5 plates (my goal) and pulled it with a mixed grip and lost it right before lockout due to grip. I rested a couple minutes, grabbed the straps and pulled it again with no problems. I attribute the gains to two things: being a newish exercise for me and my deadlift program using snatch grip deads.

And in cased you missed it, here’s my proud moment (all while trying to figure out my damn hip injury too):

1 Like