Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

Try and Reverse it. Strong hand first,then rest pause with the weaker one

Ill try that out. I’ve always started off with my weaker arm in whatever exercise because that’s what i’ve read but apparently it hasn’t really helped.

I think maybe because i’ve already done a set my body is primed and ready to go so i get more reps with my stronger arm anyway. I’ll see if it helps.

BJJ
2 hours 20 mins

Wasn’t as productive as yesterday but was still good anyway. Had a roll at the end with a more experienced dude and got destroyed haha.

Floorball
2 hrs of floorball at school, no more volleyball. Floorball is WAYYYYY funner and i’m better at it so that’s a plus. I also really like lacrosse but it’s not really popular here in Australia sadly :cry:

Had a nice stack at the end where i was running for the ball, couldnt stop myself in the last second and smashed in to the barrier. I broke the barrier and went flying over it and sort of flipped and i can’t really remember landing but i instictively rolled. Wish it was on camera!! That would get like 100 million views :joy:

1 Like

Floorball?

Similar to hockey but way better

It looks like the perfect medium between hockey and ice hockey!

Have you played Rollerblade hockey? Man thats good fun.

It’s awesome!

Never played it. It looks fun as though.

Captains of Crush + grip stuff
Trainer couple of sets of 10, stretches, band curls with my band thats snapped but still usable

1×15 right hand
1×12 left

1×10 both

40 second iso hold with arms in arm wrestle position

1×10 arm wrestle position trainer
Iso hold

Wrist roller
Some at 2.5kg
5kg
Cheaty wrist rolling with 10kg

Then some tree climbing for fun
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjyu8tGAmM4/

4 Likes

2 Likes

MMA
1:30 Hrs

Clinching and blocking technique work followed by light sparring and then i dont know what its called but umm conditioning the abs and legs to take hits by getting hit with large pads and punching.

3 Likes

forearm/Elbow recovery work
Elbows feeling a little jacked up this week. Getting arm barred in jiu jitsu and not tapping out till it hurts alot has been pretty silly to do and resulted in some accumulation of elbow tendonitis kinda thing.

Slowly feeling better with doing frequent light hanmer curls and forearm baths.

Today i did

5 sets of 8 Fat gripz hammer curls ( i got some adjustable spinlock dumbells from K mart instead of online)

3×15 hand band expansions.

My new grippers should be here soon too.

2 Likes

Elbows feeling 90% better. Fat gripz are magic.

1 Like

Hyperextension of your elbow due to arm barring is bad for your arm, but it’s not giving you elbow tendonitis. Your training regimen that’s based around hand grippers is.

I don’t see any pushups, pullups, squats, crunches, or burpees in your log. If you can’t go to the gym and you’re not doing those exercises, you’re missing out on so much.

2 Likes

Fat gripz curls and hand bands seem to help alot. If you don’t work the hand extensors it causes imbalances in the forearm and i have skipped working them a few times and done wrist roller instead thinking they will be fine. I’ll make sure to do them every session. Thanks man

I don’t see the point in bodyweight squats or crunches or burpees (plenty of core work at MMA and jiu jitsu anyway, like ab circuits and all the exercises we have to do) my core is absolutely toast after.

Bodyweight squats isn’t going to get me squatting 300 kilos, Or atlas stone 140kg for ten reps.

I do martial arts twice a week (4 hrs total) along with 4-6 hours Sports classes at school like footy (aussy rules) and floorball and the like so i get plenty of conditioning throughout the week.

2 Likes

Tuesday
2hrs of footy. It started to rain and it was awesome but then it stopped :cry:

Can you do a pistol squat? The progression of that starts with bodyweight.

And as for burpees, they’re probably the single best full body calisthenic exercise you can do. Do 100 burpees for time.

I know you want to be a strongman and that’s great, but you can’t pick out key exercises you’re not doing and say “that won’t get me squatting 300kg”. You’re not in a gym yet, you don’t even know if you’ll ever be able to squat that much. Working on your legs prior to that can only help. Also, the pushups, dude. Why no pushups?

2 Likes

I have to second the comments around push ups, pull ups and bodyweight squats, lunges, pistol squats etc. All this GPP work will increase your ability to work at a higher intentsity and recover when you do hit the gym. The secret to becoming strong is really just genetics combined with hard work over time. The more sensible GPP work you do now the better you will improve later.

1 Like

I gotta agree with @flappinit on this one. What you are doing for your grip strength is great, but you are missing out on alot of key exercises. Next time you climb a tree, hang from a limb and so a bunch of pullups.

I Probably can’t.

I don’t do calisthenics because they don’t interest me and they don’t go with my goals. I do pullups when im at home ( no pullup bar and I’m training my grip and getting stronger. ( im on the journey to try closing the no.3) I want to bulk up to 100kg+ and be muscled like a bull which will take a long time. Bodyweight exercises don’t do what weights do. If they did no one would lift weights and eddie hall would have just done bodyweight squats to deadlift 500kg.

I’m happy with my conditioning that i get throughout the week ( i get what i give and i participate 100% as much as i can in my sports and martial arts otherwise i dont get the most out of it) so i feel no need to do calisthnetics.

i was lifting weights since i was 14 till the end of last year and i have not gotten strong yet but i will. I’m going to be freakishly strong and big and i don’t care if it takes me 30 years to do it. It’s all I’ve wanted since i was a little kid. I will squat 300kg.

1 Like