Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

Hoping it’s just minor brah

just stretched out my calves which seemed to have helped alot so we’ll see tomorrow. If its bad i wont be going for that atlas stone but either way im going to do some high rep hammy stuff to flush blood/repair and hopefully will be allgood for next week

Btw i suspect my hammies have gotten really tight from the leg curls, so i think some high rep rdl’s (putting the hammies under stretch) will help alot to. Normally i can standing touch the floor with my knuckles but im not even close to being able to do that right now

Good Mornings made my hammies real flexible real fast like 2 weeks. I like them because they keep my back straight as so hamstring flexibility is the limiting factor to range of motion. Can’t get as much hammy with stiff legs or Romanians

Touching the floor might be due to lower back mobility/movement or long arms lol

True. I heard goodmornings are a risky exercise so any tips for those? I’ll look into the form and stuff and try them out

Oh… :joy:

Do them from pins.
So good.
So consistent.
Perfect.

You got that 110 stone in the bag, rag doll it bro!

I’ll see what i can find. The gym has a bunch of rigs and in the normal area there’s like one power rack and i think that has pins

1 Like

Hell yes!

Update
Hamstring a whole lot better today. Almost 100%. Was just a random tweak or something i guess from tuesday and some muscles got tight. Will still proceed with highrep hanstring stuff today and will smash out the atlas stone!

todays training//Deload day 4
FAIL

repeatedly failed the 110kg stone. Its got a lot of old tacky on it so it’s firty and its a crappy moulded stone i think. Super hard to grip compared to the 80kg which is alot smoother and cleaner. I for sure thought i could get the 110kg stone but apparently not. I was warming up with 80kg stone and it feels super easy/light so the stone is definitely the issue here. No matter

Plan for future: I’m not using tacky until 2 months out from comp at least so for now i need to hammer posterior chain and atlas stone work/ technique to help with breaking the stone off the floor. Its hard as hell to grip but if i get strong enough it wont matter. If i can get it to my lap i can load it easily because of all the front squatting i do, so its time to focus on SSB squat for posterior chain and lots of hammy/lower back work. Front squat can go on the backburner for a while but will use as assistance to keep it in.

Atlas stone ideas
Load 80kg stone higher up to make it harder/ will build more strength

Stone to shoulder work

Atlas stone rows/other weird exercises @strongmanbrett

Atlas stone lapping. Practice lapping stones and build alot of strength there. My stone loading is good enough for now but getting to my lap technique/setup needs alot of work.

More frequency so atlas stones maybe ×2 a week with lighter work on tuesday and heavier on Friday. More familiarity with stone/frequency = greater technique gains. Need to keep in mind load on lower back and recovery.

Atlas stone extensions: if I’m doing less front squatting then i should do this as an assitance exercise to practice the load

3 Likes

I like your thought process. Don’t forget those power cleans to help stones. Also, check out this random guy from the internet using the “hanging weight” or “chaos” style to train the yoke. Footspeed of a light yoke with the instability and mid-section blasting of a heavy, swaying, flexing yoke. But without the beat-down from heavy weights.

1 Like

I gave up on those. The rate at which it takes me to learn movements (Look at my deadlifting for example, took months before i thought it looked ok) so i donno… Soon I’ll have to start practicing the continental axle clean which is obviously much different, but i still have a lot of movements to learn. One step at a time lol

Haha i almost didn’t notice it was Brian Shaw

1 Like

Duke, if you’re doing Good Mornings, do them light for high reps (15-20). Nobody cares about how much you can Good Morning.

1 Like

Definitely man. Not an exercise to max out on thats for sure

Get on these Dead Bugs!

Focus on proper hip tilt as you hinge.

Thankyou! When would you recommend i do deadbugs? As like a daily mobility thing perhaps? Also could you take a look at this 1rm front squat video from 2 months ago? I have a few postural issues and tight muscles, as well as one leg being alot bigger than the other ( obviously my dominant leg is going to be bigger but i feel as my hips are out of allignment, so my right side gets worked more or something) i figure you’d be able to spot bodily issues

https://www.instagram.com/p/BobEvnLl2EN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=83ion8jh7vj1

1 Like

I remember that video. And I remember your more recent front squat videos, which look much better. Anyway, in the video above, look at your lower back. Excessive arch, with the butt stuck out the back. At the bottom of the squat, you can see a little butt wink to get depth. Then one third of the way up, your hips kick out behind you and you have to lean forward a little.

If you see what I’m seeing, and agree with what I’ve said, watch this.

Can you see how Reed is describing what’s happening to you? Do you agree that you’ve got a similar situation going on?

This is interesting. Stone could be looked at like any powerlift with like where you fail and weaknesses and assistance exercises like higher height

Where do you miss with heavier stones man? Maybe just do the first half of the movement and load up a lot if it’s where you miss or use up a lot of energy or are inefficient.

*banded paused stone to knees with chains

1 Like

Technique needs work+ Im hell weak off the floor like in a deadlift. I looked at my videos of the 110 attempt and the stone is too far forward so i need to stand with it towards me more. I’m thinking a few good technique tweaks like that and i should be able to get it.

Basically yeah. I know dudes that program percentages for events as well like a powerlift e.g 60% of max yoke for speed runs 4×30 metres etc. For stones a popular method is speed loads to develop explosiveness on stones sorta like Dynamic effort??. If you lift a stone slow theres no way its going up

1 Like