Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

They sound like a pretty good shoe

Okayyy… so does yoke normally leave you tired as hell and prone to mood swings? All day I’ve been a mix between angry and depressed and just then someone said something rude, and normally I’m calm but i started yelling and raging at them. What the heck. I’m not accustomed to yoke but this is weird :joy:

Round rage. Lighten up on the juice dude.

1 Like

I’d say yes.

Nah, that’s just the Tren talking.

Yes the rage of being so fat you’re round

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well i had a great sleep last night😂

1 Like

Yoke will drill you pretty good if you go heavy on it, but blame mood swings on age.

Im scared of yoke flu haha. I’m not going to go heavy enough or do too much volume to experience it. I’ll save that for competition

Ohh ok

That statement stops here for me… I’ve been a loner for over a decade. I don’t think anyone can keep up with my weird schedule so I don’t even bother looking for training partners. It’s been nice the handful of times I’ve had one though.

@FlatsFarmer did you ever get into arm wrestling? Besides always wanting to get strong, i can remember wanting to do armwrestling. I plan on competing in arm wrestling on the side eventually so wondering what Forearm/grip exercises have good carryover. Obviously you need to practice arm wrestlimg technique and just arm wrestling but yeah

*sad face

I was never official when it came to arm wrestling, like never in a real competition or anything. But I used to be a 245 pound dude with big-ass arms, strutting around bars with tight sleeves and my chest stuck out. Plenty of dudes challenged me to arm wrestle. Grip work is awesome GPP. In my opinion, stuff with a more “open” hand like thick bar and pinch grip are good. Wrist stuff like wrist roller and steel bending are good.

If you lift the Inch Dumbbell and bend 60 penny nails you’ll be ready for any non-arm wrestler. Dude’s who know what they’re doing are a totally different story. They put little a roll your fingers and twist on your wrist and all your strength and power are removed.

I really do need to start using my wrist roller.

Damn. Did you ever lift the inch?

Todays training:Grip/forearms

double overhand axle holds (thumbless grip)
70kg
4×20 seconds

preacher hammer arm wrestle curl thingies
4×8. Got this off of Devon Larratt. Dont know how to describe this exercise but i didnt like them.

single arm reverse cable curl
Again, a weird version of these thats hard to describe. These worked well. Keeping in my toolbox

4×12

wrist roller
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqmU-A4FwbF/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=fu1zhog28dr1

Outside the box thinking power level 9000. Rigged it up in the rings, so i could use a tonne more weight. A couple of sets to overload the forearms on the concentric and then normal wrist roller.

3 sets.

3×20 hand bands

Nothing taken to failure. Left a little in the tank. Sundays is now going to be a pure grip /forearm training day

3 Likes

I have this problem, though I’m fairly antisocial…

I’m somewhat social but no one meets my standards. I’m kind of weird too in terms of my training too. I think I’m the only person I’ve seen deadlift over 4 plates who isn’t a power lifter at my gym. I suppose I could settle and just find someone who needs/wants to get in better shape and have them do what I do but those folks aren’t nearly as committed as I am. I had a buddy train with me for a short bit and he’d skip workouts (usually leg day). I do fine on my own.

Sometimes not having a spotter is motivation to not fail a lift! I’ve also used the Smith in the past to do rest/pause type sets. These days I’m training submaximally so I don’t need any help.

Some of those arm wrestler exercises look cool and others look like a great way to make your elbow pissed off.

Good job with the wrist roller. Getting it supported so you can work wrists not shoulders is crucial. I’ve seen guys use the end of a barbell as a roller. Maybe something to look into if you want more stability.

I “deadlifted” a replica of the Inch Dumbbell. Shortly after that every huge strongman started cleaning and the pressing it so I didn’t feel so good about it.

Yep. It wasn’t for me at all (didn’t piss my elbows off, just felt like it wasnt achieving anything) i think from now on Ill be able to spot the more useful ones and try them out instead.

Yeah. I just dont see how using like 5kg (regular wrist roller) vs 30kg on the wrist roller will have any effect. Sure it pumps em up and burns but it’s so light i feel it’s a waste of time. Plus the shoulders are just going to tire out more anyway. I’ll look into the barbell setup but I’ll try rig up something else with my wrist roller as well, otherwise the money i $$$ on it ages ago will just go to waste.

It’s quite an impressive feat nonetheless

1 Like

todays training
Trash focus.

warmup
Machine rows
Foam roll
Shoulder warmup stuff

Forgot to do daily deads because i got a phone call when warming up.

log cleans
10 min emom. Empty log.

Fail. Set it up so log was on wooden plyo boxes and that was retarded. When i put it down it would fuck with my lower back and forearms bevause it would rattle. Was just shit. Midway through i changed it back to a tire and was much better. Also form was all over the place, i need to keep the log closer to my body.

70kg ×3 log clean pr
These were easy as.

I added a 5kg bumper to each side so i wouldnt need the tire, and of course since 5kg bumpers are weak and squishy they bent :triumph:. i just put them back and hopefully know one knows it was me :joy:

axle strict press
4 reps +1 rest pause ×3 sets
pr
Supersetted with rope climbs (these were fun, also did a set of rope pullups)

single arm pressdowns
4×12

pull aparts
2×50

Btw, used olympic lifters today for the presses and cleans. They were awesome

Postworkout pic:

7 Likes