Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

Thanks man! I’ve really come to enjoy sprinting in the last month or so. I’m definitely unfit for sprinting haha. I’ve been working on stride length and arm swing alot. That’s going ok. I need to improve my sprint “takeoff” though.

I think I’ll do the 5× higher % than take a rest and sprint slightly lower %. Thanks for all the advice!

I already said it in your log but anyways Best of luck for your race man!

I had a buddy on my powerlifting team who deadlifts once every month, sometimes every two. Just pulled 700lbs about a month ago @ 180lbs. But it was sumo hookgrip so it doeasnt count. Anyways, he was a genetic freak who could get away with shit like that.

grip work/ abs

So first time training with the gripper, i warmed up wirh a few sets of light hand bands and then started on the gripper. Managed #1 proper rep on my weaker arm and matched it with my right.

I just did ×2 sets of closing the gripper to about halfway-3/4 and then using the other hand to assist in closing it. ×10 reps

3×10-12 hand band expansions. One set with the lightest band, then one level up and then the third level.

50 ab wheel rollouts

I kinda overdid it a bit i think with my first gripper session but meh was good anyway.
@oldbeancam warned me of this already haha. I’ll see tomorrow how toast my forearms feel. Definitely worked some muscles that werent used to getting worked. (Makes sense because I’ve never trained crush grip, I’ve always done Hangs,farmers walks, lifting barbells and dumbells etc which are all mainly supportive grip)

1 Like

Thats crazy!

Food
Bowl of cereal, one banana
1 piece of toast
Some yoghurt
6 inch ham,salami,chicken,bacon, cheese and salad sub from subway
Nachos
Piece of cake
Another sub same as before
Some milk

1 Like

There are a lot of factors playing a part when it comes to recovery. I’m not sure if it’s age related or if it’s the load used in your sessions but it seems that your recovery takes longer as you get older, but it could be the result of progressive strength and using greater loads.

You mentioned guys who deadlift twice a week vs once a week. Well the guy deadlifting 500 lbs every session might only do it once a week while the guy with a 4 plate PR and 250-300 lb working weights might be able to do it twice a week. Both are training to the same degree of fatigue in their sessions, but the invisible toll that the lift takes on the CNS is different.

As you get stronger (and older) you might notice that it takes more time to recover between sessions. It’s tough to tell which factor is the biggest or if it’s even one factor alone. It could be your age, your training age, the load used, or a combination of everything.

It’s like that old commercial with Mr. Owl. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop??? The world may never know…

1 Like

Possibility a mix of both or just one depending on the situation. If you’re a guy in your 50’s and just started training vs an 18 year old just started training I’d say the 18 year old wins the recovery race. If you’re deadlifting 600 at 18 vs a 40 year old deadlifting 300 then who knows? The 40 year old might recover faster or they may not.

Like idk. Going from Squatting 300 to 500 pounds. 500 pounds is going to feel like 500 f $#*ing pounds.

This is interesting stuff. A shame we’ll never know. Its all a conspirancy theory lol jk

1 Like

It’s like my Fitbit. It’s a neat toy but it will never be accurate in terms of caloric expenditure. I’m not sure if they’ll ever come up with a device or method to determine exactly what your body is doing during a given exercise/movement. The biological processes are just too complex!

1 Like

@duketheslaya

This is all good info.

Obviously being young gives you some extra bandwidth, but that doesnt mean you should always use it! Doing so, you will certainly feel it later in life. I know i do. I used to hit it hard 7 days a week in my early 20’s. No issues other than a tweak here or a tweak there. But, it certainly added unnessary training mileage.

As far as deadlifts and the compounds, some people are far more suited to deadlift due to their structure, also. This enables a better/safer force distribution, therefore allowing them to train it more often. But that’s just 1 of a million factors for why some can handle more frequency or volume.

This whole thing we do is give and take. You take something? Well then you better give something! Otherwise your body will be barking before long.

3 Likes

Hey duke you’re doing some good shit along the way with your training and your life.
Keep up the running and listen to @adarqui and @Frank_C.
If I should point out 2 good moves from their list.
1: keep in the 10 x 100 m, don’t go by % go by time, as adarqui says run relaxed for a set time say 17 sec and keep it at 17 sec every 10 of the 100’s. Make your running floating and effortless, if people see you they should think, it’s easy and looks good.
2: as Jmaier workout the short starts and flying 20 - 40 m again don’t go by % but more by feel and make it look great.
Don’t be thunderfoot on the track, think gazelle.

And throw some diskos and stuff around.

4 Likes

Hey Duke do they not have an athletics team at school or a local running club. Most clubs have coaches or experienced runners and are usually happy to give advice or even have group sessions you can take part in. Its usually not expensive, my club is like $40 a year and meets 2 times a week at the track. Some really good advice on here, just try not to get lost in all the different workouts and make it too complicated. Stick to two of the workouts and build over a few weeks.
And most importantly enjoy

1 Like

cheers @mortdk! i will be a majestic Gazelle.

no athletics team at my school but theirs probably a running club somewhere. I’ll ask around!

1 Like

Btw Have you tried some distance 5 - 10K running?
At a point you get so efficient and fast that you almost get high and get a feeling you’re flying. It doesn’t happen every time far from, but those rare moments is almost addictive .

1 Like

Yes i have. I’m not a fan of long distance lol.

Im pretty sure I’ve never gotten that feeling because im not efficient :joy:. Make me run a few k’s and im dying haha.

2 Likes

yesterdays food

3 toast, scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns.
Bowl of bacon Carbonara pasta
One piece of cake
Walnuts throughout the day
Apple
Plate of Lasagne
1l milk

Keep forgetting to weigh myself when i wake up .

1 Like

I’ve never experienced this either. Sounds like crazy talk to me!

I ran a 5k once. The best part of the race was crossing the finish line and making a bee line for the bagels and orange juice. I think I can pass on the running next time

Long distance running is like a girlfriend, it takes your gainz and sucks the life out of you. :scream::joy:

2 Likes

Don’t forget the unnecessary money being spent.

“There’s a $60 fee to compete in this race.” Uh, no. I’ll go flush $50 down the toilet and then take a nap. I save $10 and I’m not nursing shin splints for the next month. Thanks though!!

4 Likes

We have a couple around here where you get beer. One is around Octoberfest and you get a beer and brat at the finish. For New Year’s I think there’s a 5K that has drinks all through the race. I still don’t run.

5 Likes