T Nation

Rise Of The Slaya-Mortal Kombat Edition

strength
conditioning

yesss

well the thing is pullups use your grip, i want my grip to be fresh for captains of crush sessions so i don’t know where to put them in

BJJ thursday
2 hours. just really going over techniques from the last few weeks and stuff we’ll use for the tournament tomorrow. Bit of rolling at the end.

3-5 pull ups x multiple times a day (5-10 times) shouldn’t effect your grip too much. At your age you will adapt quickly anyway.

true. if i start off low like 1-2 a set i can add reps week to week.

You will be surprised how quick you can progress, they key is spreading the volume accross the day

BJJ tournament

Well where do i start, It was awesome!

My instructor took me and we got there before it started and everyone who was there early helped set up. Started at 10 and finished around 2:20.

All around awesome effort from everyone and great sportsmanship even from the younger kids.

First off before the Round was the movements. This is to see what we’ve learnt so far.

Forward and back rolls

Shrimping & Reverse shrimping

Egg rolls

A couple of other fundamental jiu jitsu movements.

Now the Grappling. One 5 minute round with a point scoring system basically whoever gets the most submissions and if you stay in mount for over 10 seconds you get points too.

My first opponent for my first round was a guy thats been training a couple of years. I made alot of mistakes and this was my shittiest round especially since something happened 20 minutes prior ( got a phonecall) with some shitty news and i got really angry and almost withdrew from the tournament ( didn’t want to verse someone whilst I’m really mad), i went to the toilet and calmed down a bit. Anyways during my round i wasnt focused or relaxed and i didnt use any techniques whatsoever instead i relied on strength and made stupid choices and over exerted myself. Got submitted 4 times. Anddd moving on.

Round 2
I got put against a lady that goes to the same jiu jitsu and it was a bit weird.

It would be a useless experience if i just totally dominated or if i let her win so i chose inbetween. First up i got her into a rear naked choke and submitted her and i decided that was it for the submissions because that’s all i needed to win and i didnt want to totally dominate. After that i gave her opportunity to try take me down and then i went to establish side control and she was really quick and that failed so i just gained mount for a while and then round was pretty much over.

Round 3: I was supposed to verse someone else ( i was meant to verse this person at the start but the order got fucked up) and I’m annoyed because it would have been a good matchup. They have been going a few months more than me but what i lack in the technique they have i have bodyweight and strength.

They had to leave so i versed the same dude from round 1 and it was muchhh better. I wasn’t angry by then and i was calm and used techniques alot more and didnt over exert myself or rely on strength so they really had to fight to submit me. Still got submitted twice but i shrimped and bridged alot and escaped alot of their pressure and nearly got a kamura in. Very pleased with this.

It was a good learning experience. Really Great day.

Why do all BJJ moves sound like something you’d have for lunch? lol
Sounds like you did pretty well and had a mad as time, sounds awesome

I don’t know but it makes me hungry lol

Yeah it was pretty cool! Glad i went. Learned alot and it will help with training.

I’m glad i have an awesome BJJ instructor too.

Forearm/Abs
6 pullups @simo74 next week i will be adding some more daily.

60 hanging leg raises total
1 minute plank
2×10 fat gripz curls 10kg Pr
15kg ×1
1×8
Lots of hand bands

NOT squatting is ALSO not going to get your squat to 300kilos.

But bodyweight squats will do a better job of getting you there than not squatting.

There’s all kinds of ways to make it more challenging. Tempo, single leg/pistol, hold something heavy off center, etc.

Get creative. It’s amazing what can be done with nothing.

And, with the whole wanting to be an adult thing. There’s pros and cons to both sides. HOWEVER, with what I know about you, you will be much happier in adulthood. Keep your chin up, it’s right around the corner. Before you know it it’s here and shit is real. Try to enjoy this phase, it’ll be gone and you WILL NOT be able to go back. Life is great. Enjoy all of it.

Peace!

Hey young Duke
Really glad you had a great BJJ day, despite the shitty call.
You’re growing in your mental game, you were able to but it aside that’s really good.
6 pull ups: cool Mate.
Keep up the good work and good spirit.

Life is a gift my friend. Sometimes it’s hard to recognise for me.

Thanks mort. I tried not to let it affect me because stuff happens i guess.

Hey Young Duke
Are you OK ?

Im alright now

Glad to hear Mate.

Thankyou

Went home for the week so no MMA but i plan on doing some conditioning, also i’m working on the farm doing some labour stuff which is good. Kinda needed a break from stuff and yeah.

School semester is over and theirs two weeks left this term. I did really well, i Got a B in maths and every other subject besides english which i think i just passed or failed by 1%. Their was a bit of mess up because my teacher left and a substitute came and work got lost between the teacher swap over so i dont know what’s going on there but that’s okay. Anyway step up from last year where i got C’s and D’s on everything.