Rise Of The Slaya 2019- Next Strongman Comp prep and fixing my hip

The starting position of a clean and a deadlift is very different. With the deadlift you are grinding the bar up and want it to be very close to your body. With the clean you are using your lower body in the first pull to build power that you let “loose” on the second pull.

Seriously, go look at the videos from Pendlay that I recommended months ago.

No, it’s because you’re a child. It’s ok, I feel that most people remain as children their entire life.

I avoided advice like it’s the plague until I was 24 and thoroughly came close to fucking my life up by trying to do things my own way.

Then I started listening.

Now I’ve stopped listening and so my life is stagnating again. I need to let myself open up to advice and do uncomfortable things again to see serious progression in aspects of my life.

What I mean to say is- I became an adult for a couple years and then regressed to being a child again. I’ve learned that becoming an adult and behaving like one is not some switch that turns on and stays on permanently.

But you need to understand what it means to you before you can start noticing when it’s off.

…unless you suck at front squatting like me! At one point, I could power clean 300+ (315 PR) but I could only front squat about 260.

1 Like

Nope. It’s a maturity thing. If you don’t work for your money then you don’t value it. Time at work = money. Once you earn your own money and pay your own bills you learn the value. Spending $100 on fast food means you probably have to work about 2-3 days to pay for it. You quickly learn it’s not worth it.

Money isn’t hard. You have necessary expenses and unnecessary spending. Income must equal or exceed expenses/spending.

Needs: a place to live, water, gas/electric, food.

Wants: internet, video games, eating out, anything that you wouldn’t die without.

Each month I have to pay the mortgage, electric, gas, and water if I want a place to live. I don’t need a car. I could ride a bike, walk, or take the bus by planning my day ahead. I have a car because I’ve managed my money well enough to buy one.

I have other needs - food for me and the family. We budget a certain amount for groceries each month and if we screw up and spend it then we have to go without for a week or so.

This stuff really teaches itself. You don’t need help; you just need to learn.

“I had money and I spent it all on unnecessary things. Now I don’t have money but I need it. How can I prevent this in the future?” That question answers itself.

I can tell you where every single penny is spent in our household.

2 Likes

Off topic but if you are looking for the far more beautiful city: Munich, if money is a major issue: anything but Munich.

1 Like

Actually Having ASD amplifies being a teenager ×10. I should know…

What i don’t understand is i get alot of advice but how can I not listen to it? I Don’t intentionally not listen to it. I just dont. Sometimes I feel like a Robot

Yeah I’m definitely learning my lesson… I think the best choice of action is opening a savings account and budgeting

1 Like

[quote=“duketheslaya, post:3838, topic:238440, full:true”]
Actually Having ASD amplifies being a teenager ×10. I should know…[/quote]

How would you know if you don’t know what it feels to be a teenager without ASD?

Do you

-Hear advice but forget about them shortly thereafter.
-Hear advice and find ways to rationalize them away.

This

Not really, I just don’t think about it

Write them down on post-stickers and stick them around.

Write them down in a notebook and read the notebook everyday to remind yourself.

1 Like

This is the most important thing. Ideally, you’ll have money leftover to put in savings each week/month, but at your age that isn’t always possible.

I received some simple advice when I was in high school. Give 10% to church, 10% to savings, and spend the rest. But that all hinges on having regular income. If your income is random or zero, then save every penny so you can stretch it out.

I worked for a guy under the table once. He finally paid me for like three month’s worth of work. He was nice enough to reduce the amount as if I’d paid taxes which really just screwed me (he tried to spin it like it wasn’t a negative thing but I’m not dumb). Right after I got paid we went to Washington DC for a training conference. We shared a room and he paid for it.

During the trip, I was tight AF with my money. He’d want to do stuff and I’d object or say I didn’t want to spend $20 for something like a cab ride to go do something. He got pissed. He was like “Dude, I just paid you $2000.” I didn’t argue with him, but I was thinking “Yeah, and who knows when I’ll get paid again? Just because I have money now doesn’t mean I have to spend it all.”

Money will not bring you happiness, but oddly enough, lack of it sure brings misery.

1 Like

Roger, thanks for the tip.
I’m a bit of an arts/culture afficionado, would you say Berlin is better for that?

Definitely Munich, if you include architecture. It is a culture rich city with a lot of old and beautiful buildings and churches.
I don’t know much about art scene. I am not interested in that so I couldn’t say anything about it.
In summary: Berlin is the hipper or more modern city. Munich is more popular among the people I know. Berlin is supposedly better if you are into partying.
They are like contrasts kind of :smiley:

1 Like

[

Some of your responses to advice here belie this statement.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks so much. This really helps.

In terms of actually doing an exchange, I know some unis offer courses in English (I believe TUM was one such uni). Is arriving in Germany with minimal language skills a huge issue? Obviously, I’ll be trying to learn it a bit better in the mean time, and will do my best to improve my German whilst there, but either way I’ve heard a lot of Germans speak very good English.

1 Like

Absolutely not! Quite the contrary. Most Germans either speak very good English or atleast enough to communicate. My Australian friends also reported that they were quite impressed that Germans will go out of their way to try and speak English as soon as they realize that you struggle with German/ are a native English speaker (I always took that for basic politeness). Which lead to them never learning German because they never needed to :smiley:

Edit: German is rather hard to learn I hear btw

1 Like

I believe it’s the second-easiest class of languages for English-speakers to learn, after the Romance languages. Makes sense, since modern English is a cobbled-together amalgam of Anglo-Saxon, Germanic and Romance roots, with other random crap thrown in for flavoring.

Fair enough then, haha. I guess compared to English everything appears hard though.

As someone who majored in German. Yes it can be.

1 Like

Beautiful car

1 Like