Rise of the Planet of the Apes

[quote]Nards wrote:
What I think will be weird is Charlton Heston’s character’s spaceship must be out there somewhere by the time this story happens, or maybe it hasn’t launched yet. It would be neat if they show some TV behind James Franco with some news item about the launch of that spaceship or something.[/quote]

Lol…and now I’ll be spending the whole film waiting for such a scene and be disappointed when it doesn’t happen. =P

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Larzker wrote:
“Rise of the Apes” is based on 1972’s “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes” which was the 4th of the 5 original Planet of the Apes movies. Out of the 5 original POTA movies the 2nd one was a sequel and 3,4, and 5 were prequels.[/quote]

Could you please repeat that? I didn’t catch it all the first time.

[/quote]

He said, “RISE OF THE APES” IS BASED ON 1972’S “CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES” WHICH WAS THE 4TH OF THE 5 ORIGINAL PLANET OF THE APES MOVIES. OUT OF THE 5 ORIGINAL POTA MOVIES THE 2ND ONE WAS A SEQUEL AND 3,4, AND 5 WERE PREQUELS.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Larzker wrote:
“Rise of the Apes” is based on 1972’s “Conquest of the Planet of the Apes” which was the 4th of the 5 original Planet of the Apes movies. Out of the 5 original POTA movies the 2nd one was a sequel and 3,4, and 5 were prequels.[/quote]

Could you please repeat that? I didn’t catch it all the first time.

[/quote]

He said, “RISE OF THE APES” IS BASED ON 1972’S “CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES” WHICH WAS THE 4TH OF THE 5 ORIGINAL PLANET OF THE APES MOVIES. OUT OF THE 5 ORIGINAL POTA MOVIES THE 2ND ONE WAS A SEQUEL AND 3,4, AND 5 WERE PREQUELS.[/quote]

OKAY, OKAY! Geez, SS… you didn’t have to yell.

this movie looks awesome. I am definitely going to see this.

It looks good. The monkeys look creepy as hell though. Their eyes look almost too human.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
It looks good. The monkeys look creepy as hell though. Their eyes look almost too human.[/quote]

Chimps aren’t monkeys.

Can’t wait! TM Bart Scott

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

It looks good. The monkeys look creepy as hell though. Their eyes look almost too human.[/quote]

Chimps aren’t monkeys.[/quote]

What if the chimp’s name was Davy Jones?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

ohhh sick burn

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

What if the chimp’s name was Davy Jones?[/quote]

Then he’ll be taking the last train to Clarksville.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
As a kid I loved ALL the POTA movies, and the tv series.

This film looks great because now we have a visible reason why the apes have taken over.

Can’t wait for the release date![/quote]

Sorry ID, I haven’t seen a single one! :frowning:

But, I caught this trailer the other day on IMDB and I was hooked. I have to see this, so darn awesome.

Grainy as Yates:

TBH I don’t see any plausible way that smart(even super smart) Monkeys could overrun humans with guns but I guess well see.

Also the title of the movie sounds so weird they should just did “Rise of the Apes” or something instead “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” seriously having 2 “of the” is just bad writing lol.

I’ll just take this opportunity to throw in some pics I took at Monkeyworld, the ape rescue centre down in Dorset, England.

Spent 6 hours in the place and it flew by. Would go back in a heartbeat!

This fella had a white cloth he’d tied in a knot tight around his knees and spent 5 minutes rolling around. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]optheta wrote:
TBH I don’t see any plausible way that smart(even super smart) Monkeys could overrun humans with guns but I guess well see.

Also the title of the movie sounds so weird they should just did “Rise of the Apes” or something instead “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” seriously having 2 “of the” is just bad writing lol.[/quote]

They evolve as a result of an experimental cure for Alzheimer’s.

[spoilers]
The cure is virus based, and supposedly ties into a disaster that allows them to take over. Presumably the virus has adverse effects on humans which would explain why they are devolved in the original POTA [/spoilers]

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
What I think will be weird is Charlton Heston’s character’s spaceship must be out there somewhere by the time this story happens, or maybe it hasn’t launched yet. It would be neat if they show some TV behind James Franco with some news item about the launch of that spaceship or something.[/quote]

Lol…and now I’ll be spending the whole film waiting for such a scene and be disappointed when it doesn’t happen. =P

[/quote]

Without going into too much detail, you won’t be disappointed.

(extremely well predicted, Nards).

Andy Serkis FTW.

Roybot have you read the script or something? If so, please spoil me, in PM if you wish, about the Icarus spaceship thing!

[quote]Nards wrote:
Roybot have you read the script or something? If so, please spoil me, in PM if you wish, about the Icarus spaceship thing![/quote]

Not much more to say really, Nards… No, I haven’t read the script; I stumbled across an old movie blog which spoke of the Icarus launch (and Taylor) being referenced in exactly the same way you imagined.

It described other references to the original (mostly names), and from the look of the cast list these are still in the movie, so the news report should be intact as well.

[spoilers]

The virus angle was also mentioned, and the trailer suggests that the therapy is still virus-based, with Caesar administering the cure to the other chimps in a gas form. The part about the virus being harmful to humans is my own theory, but it explains how the apes can overrun the human population so easily and why the humans had impaired brain function in the original movie.

[/spoilers]

I don’t think I need to treat the Alzheimer’s therapy as a spoiler: it’s shown in the trailer on the screen behind James Franco around 23 seconds in. That’s about all I know.

The whole story is creepy, not the actual monkeys going crazy and causing havoc but the concept of biological engineering and the significant prominence it will have in our future. This story like Jurassic Park is a symbolic reality check on the potential consequences of biological advancement and the lines of ethics it is starting to breach and will undoubtedly one day obliterate.