Ripping Skin Fix?

So I was doing rack pulls today and managed to rip a large chunk out of my left hand. A callous just ripped off (and the surrounding skin around it), blood all over the bar, the platform, etc. This was the first time I had used chalk (I don’t use straps ever) and was wondering if anyone else has this problem of skin ripping.

I’ve never been a fan of gloves as I like to feel the bar in my hands. Any suggestions as to preventing it in the future? I found it slightly odd that this happen as I have years of callouses built up due to rowing (the olympic sport).

Do this: www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm .

If you’re calluses are getting too big the risk if them getting ripped off grows, you should trim them down every now and then.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
So I was doing rack pulls today and managed to rip a large chunk out of my left hand. A callous just ripped off (and the surrounding skin around it), blood all over the bar, the platform, etc. This was the first time I had used chalk (I don’t use straps ever) and was wondering if anyone else has this problem of skin ripping. I’ve never been a fan of gloves as I like to feel the bar in my hands. Any suggestions as to preventing it in the future? I found it slightly odd that this happen as I have years of callouses built up due to rowing (the olympic sport).[/quote]

im not a powerlifter but I’ve had callouses get ripped off quite a few times. I’ve never had it actually bleed before though. Usually they just gets ripped off then “grow” back relatively soon.

.greg.

Get a nail file or nail clippers and trim down those callouses. I rowed for my first year of college and the callouses would always rip off from either the oars or the barbell. When I started trimming them down, there was no more skin rippage. When you can actually move/scrunch up the callous using just your fingernails, its time to trim.

Super glue over the ripped off callous, it should be good in about 3-5 days.

I agree with superglue. I got some brush-on and it works great.

It’s healing up some, it’s odd though, the callous didn’t rip off, it looks like the tissue beneath the skin is what ripped.

get a pumice stone. its in the girly section of the drug store. kind of like sandpaper for your skin. rub it on your callouses every time you wash your hand, and you won’t rip them off anymore.

get vitamin E in your diet, and moisturize. seriously.

yea you gotta actually maintain your callouses, sounds crazy but it will prevent what happened to you from happening…every so often i actually use a pumice stone like Matsm already mentioned and it works real good…also just moisturizing your hands now and than helps out a ton as well, like after showering or something…

IronWarrior

I just eat my callouses. Or i bite them and then split them out. It seems to work for me…