Rippetoes vs Split

Hi, was just wondering what would benefit me the most. I’m a 15 year old kid, i weight about 163 pounds, i don’t know my body fat but I’m pretty sure I’m skinny fat.

But the main problem is, is that i have uneven arms in size and strength, my right arm is bigger and stronger than my left…would it be better to go on Starting Strength or do a 3 day split and try and even my arms out, my imbalance is pretty noticeable and i hate it, but it did want to start out with Starting Strength. I’m guessing doing SS would benefit me more because I’m a new lifter. Would using the barbells make my arms more uneven since I’m using barbells and there is a chance of the stronger side cheating?

Thanks

-cliff’s-
Should I even out my arms first or go on Starting Strength? which would benefit me more in the future?

At 6’2", 163 lbs, heavy compound movements and a whole lotta food will benefit you more than db curls.

Do starting strength. You arms will even out as you get bigger and stronger. They also should be the body part you are the least concerned with at this point.

Get used to lifting heavy with the starting strength movements at your age and height and you can be a big, strong guy by the time you are my age.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
At 6’2", 163 lbs, heavy compound movements and a whole lotta food will benefit you more than db curls.

Do starting strength. You arms will even out as you get bigger and stronger. They also should be the body part you are the least concerned with at this point.

Get used to lifting heavy with the starting strength movements at your age and height and you can be a big, strong guy by the time you are my age.[/quote]

Yea sounds good, I was always stuck on which one I should do, but doing starting strength seems like it will definitely benefit me more. So that means i should probably buy the Starting Strength book, I believe that its Volume II, correct me if I’m wrong

2nd Edition not Volume II.

Listen to Theu.

Don’t dick around and waste time with splits. Get under the barbell and start doing Starting Strength ASAP!

maximize your ability to squat three times a week and bench and deadlift 1-2 times a week while you still can! rippetoes!

i love splits, i just think you should do them when youre older and need your body to rest more

My advice would be to do Starting Strength for a few months until you are comfortable with technique and strength on the lifts, and then graduate to a split routine.

[quote]Gilligan7408 wrote:
Hi, was just wondering what would benefit me the most. I’m a 15 year old kid, i weight about 163 pounds, i don’t know my body fat but I’m pretty sure I’m skinny fat.[/quote]
At 15, I don’t give a flying squirrel’s ass what your bodyfat is, and neither should you. As long as you’re not Eric Cartman-obese, don’t sweat it.

The majority of people have a size/strength difference. It will start to sort itself out once you have some consistent training.

Even with a barbell, the stronger side won’t be able to cheat to help you lift it. That bar will end up crooked, you’ll notice, and you’ll work just as hard with the weaker side to complete the lift.

First step, two to three weeks of laying a general foundation:

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)

Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)

Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)

Pull-up 2x15 (Assisted, or front pulldown)

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes/arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

From there, moving onto Starting Strength would be a solid next step. But yeah, in the mean time, pick up a copy of the second edition and start learning about the program.

Two threads here that can also help:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes/arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

[/quote]

Can anyone verify this as a good starter routine? I might end up trying it out.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Can anyone verify this as a good starter routine? I might end up trying it out.[/quote]
Well, I can, but you might call me biased. :wink:

It’s my “standard” recommended plan for teens prior to getting into weight training. An uber-basic full-body plan, shooting for their age in reps on each exercise. Once it’s “easy”, they’d progress to a basic free weight program.

A few folks around here have mentioned using it with kiddos they know.

I got my sister started using it, it’s pretty solid.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Gilligan7408 wrote:
Hi, was just wondering what would benefit me the most. I’m a 15 year old kid, i weight about 163 pounds, i don’t know my body fat but I’m pretty sure I’m skinny fat.

At 15, I don’t give a flying squirrel’s ass what your bodyfat is, and neither should you. As long as you’re not Eric Cartman-obese, don’t sweat it.

But the main problem is, is that i have uneven arms in size and strength, my right arm is bigger and stronger than my left
The majority of people have a size/strength difference. It will start to sort itself out once you have some consistent training.

Would using the barbells make my arms more uneven since I’m using barbells and there is a chance of the stronger side cheating?
Even with a barbell, the stronger side won’t be able to cheat to help you lift it.

That bar will end up crooked, you’ll notice, and you’ll work just as hard with the weaker side to complete the lift.

Should I even out my arms first or go on Starting Strength? which would benefit me more in the future?
First step, two to three weeks of laying a general foundation:

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

From there, moving onto Starting Strength would be a solid next step. But yeah, in the mean time, pick up a copy of the second edition and start learning about the program.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide[/quote]

Now that was the answer I was looking for!,
Thanks a lot!, also thanks for the other people who posted too!

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Can anyone verify this as a good starter routine? I might end up trying it out.[/quote]

it’s great for young/old, beginner/advanced and everyone in between. if you follow it correctly and micro load (2.5-5 lbs added each workout) then you can progress without plateauing for a while