T Nation

Rippetoes to Bodybuilding

I’ve just finished Rippetoe’s program and have sucked all the gains I can out of it (I must say it is the single most awesome program out there for size and strength for a beginner).

Although I have gained ALOT of strength and size I want to start adding more size and working on the aesthetics of my body rather than the strength (although being strong is part of being big and vice versa :slight_smile: .

I was thinking that a basic push/pull/lower would be a good starting place and would very much appreciate it if you guys were to post some of your own p/p/l splits that have worked for you as a beginner.

Maybe something like this…

PUSH
bench
overhead press
CG bench

PULL
chins
rows
curls

LOWER
squats
dead lifts

Once again this is only basic stuff as you can see I have only one isolation exercise in the whole thing and no direct ab or calf work.

Can you please comment on my program and suggest possible changes or routines that have worked for you?

Thank you for reading my long post

If you liked the Starting Strength beginner program so much and responded so well to it you might want to check out “Practical Programming” by Rippetoe. It’s worth the read even if you end up not moving on to it.

Do you mind posting your before and after stats\lifts? (Just interested)

rippetoes was the first time i ever did any weights training so all my lifts were zero lol and i weighed 65 kgs but now i weigh 75kg and quite lean and my lifts are…(1RM)

SQ- 110 kg
BP- 70 kg
DL- 130 kgs
OHP- 40 kgs
PC- 60 kgs

although i want to retain and increase my strength that comes secondarily to gaining size :slight_smile:

[quote]dicko wrote:
rippetoes was the first time i ever did any weights training so all my lifts were zero lol and i weighed 65 kgs but now i weigh 75kg and quite lean and my lifts are…(1RM)

SQ- 110 kg
BP- 70 kg
DL- 130 kgs
OHP- 40 kgs
PC- 60 kgs

although i want to retain and increase my strength that comes secondarily to gaining size :)[/quote]

At your level, increasing strength in conjunction with feeding your body enough is they key to building size.

[quote]dicko wrote:

SQ- 110 kg
BP- 70 kg
DL- 130 kgs
OHP- 40 kgs
PC- 60 kgs

although i want to retain and increase my strength that comes secondarily to gaining size :)[/quote]

You should be able to go quite a bit further than those numbers with Starting Strength. If you’ve started stalling then you probably aren’t eating very much which is reinforced by being 165lbs (75kg) and “lean”. Try eating an extra meal a day and keep going with Starting Strength.

^^ These guys are right. A old school method in regards to eating.Whole MILK. Im talking a gallon a day .At 17 your going to find it hard to gain muscle mass without alot of calories.

I’m with everyone else here. You need to eat more to keep your gains going. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to stick with SS. I switched to a push/pull split and then to a p/p/l, and then to a 4- or 5-day split.

There is nothing wrong with switching to a full 5-day split right now. The only problem I would have with recommending that is if you don’t have your squat form down and need more practice at it.

But again, remember that you have to keep increasing your caloric intake as you gain weight in order to keep gaining.

thanks for the comments guys ill eat more and see if i can get further :slight_smile: