Rippetoe's Set Up for Deadlift (High Hips for Everyone) Good for Powerlifting?

The deadlift setup is probably the best aspect of SS. Simple and puts you in a pretty good position IMO.

Give it a whirl OP.

1 Like

I actually do that, I started because I was having all kinds of arm pains at one time. It helped a bit but it felt really awkward at first, now Iā€™m totally used to it. However, it is certainly not something I would advise other people to do ā€œjust becauseā€, only if they have pain in the arms from squatting.

This part made me laugh.

1 Like

I will, thanks!

Loled, yes, its something that a lot of ā€œoldā€ guys do, Rip thinks he discovered the entire world of barbell training and that he holds the absolute true about it and that anything discovered later is a nonsense redundant thing.

1 Like

i think it all depends on the individual for where you want the hip to be at. but no matter where you decide to put the hips, the deadlift should still always be a hip hinge movement and not a squat movementā€¦ i myself find that a more vertical shin and higher hips is ideal for my body type. if i start with low hips then they will always tend to shoot up first in the movement and that throws the entire pattern offā€¦ Iā€™d say whatever position you feel the strongest at and allows you to move the most weights with good form should be the way you setupā€¦ some experimentation, a lot of filming yourself, and going through the video frame by frame if you need to goes a long way in finding what is correct for youā€¦

but the best i can describe how i setup is that you step up to the bar about an inch away, you then set your back and core, bring your shoulders forward and let your arms dangle in front of you, then you push the butt backwards and allow the knees to bend trying to keep the shins as upright as you can and stop pushing the butt back just when you are able to reach the bar and grip it. you will feel a lot of tension in your posterior chain if you do it correctlyā€¦ but you want to keep your back and core locked during the entire hing movement. and to start the lift you basically unhinge by reversing the decent.

That is my favorite part about Rippetoe. :laughing: