Rippetoe's Set Up for Deadlift (High Hips for Everyone) Good for Powerlifting?

Is this kind of set up when he gets his hips as high as possible and shins as vertical as possible efficient for powerlifting? Will I lift the most ammount of weight I can with it?

I think it’s the devil’s deed to instruct every single person to perform a lift with the same cues. I dont care if stick figures with lines drawn say it’s mathematically correct.

So no, i do not agree, and neither do all of the world record holders…because many dip before they pull.

3 Likes

Thats the thing that brought me to ask this, none of the world record holders deadlift with high hips, but would this be benefitial for me if I have long legs?

Worse if you have long legs, in my opinion. Use those big long legs. Haha. Of course, there is a happy medium.

Could you be any more specific? My back rounds (i think) when I deadlift and I thought that higher hips could help, video: - YouTube

You look like just about every beginner that pulls a deadlift. You need to learn what it feels like to brace and set your back (one thing i do agree with Rip on). It takes time. Reset your weight, and slowly work your way up.

Consider mat pulls, ROM progression. Start high, and work your way down. RDLs can be a good way to learn the movement also.

1 Like

Dont feel bad about the way you pull, it’s a work in progress. Hell I pulled 550 like that before i started revamping. Just continue working on it, you’ll get it.

1 Like

I’ve already reseted, I think I might benefit from rip’s setup, I pulled 300 after like 5 months of training, but let alone a flat back… I’ll try to get a perfect form before I start going up again.

Starting strength isn’t for power lifters. I am pretty sure he has stated this in one of his videos but I can’t remember which one.

The purpose of starting strength is to build basic strength as a novice. His lifts focus on using as many muscles as possible in a lift to encourage the highest increase in strength possible for a novice.

And what kind of set up would you recommend FOR powerlifting?

I don’t know because I am not a powerlifter. I can only speak to Starting Strength.

Whatever works best for you, everyone is different.

Rippetoe is a “my way or the highway” kind of guy, he talks as if there is only one way to perform each lift and anything else is wrong when in reality not everyone does it that way. You definitely want to deadlift with a flat back, rounding your lower back is an injury waiting to happen for the vast majority of people and intentionally rounding the upper back is an advanced technique that won’t work for you at this point.

Based on what Chris Duffin and the other coaches at Kabuki Strength (who actually understand biomechanics) are saying, you want your hips as close to the bar (horizontally) while having them as high as possible, and obviously your shoulder should be right over the bar. Notice that a stiff leg deadlift position puts your hips further back than if your knees were bent. As for shin angle, it depends. Some people say to pull with vertical shins because it works for them, but look at this: (skip to 26sec. and look at the shin angle when the bar breaks the floor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7b3T8Yvop8

1 Like

By the way, the lower back rounding in your video is horrendous and hurts to watch. Fix that as soon as possible or you will be sorry. Learn how to hip hinge, you are in full spinal flexion. You can do RDLs (with a perfect flat back) and maybe pull like 135 off the floor and slowly add weight as long as you can maintain proper technique. That does not look good.

2 Likes

I didn’t understand the concept of the hips being high and close to the bar, can you explain it to me?

Close in the horizontal plane. You have to have your hips high or there will be no tension on your hamstrings and you will be squatting the weight up, and it won’t work.

But having the hips closer in the horizontal plane doesn’t mean to put your shoulders in front of the bar, which is incorrect?

When discussing starting strength technique, you need to remember that Rip’s intent is to develop a middle of the road, easily reproducible technique for beginning strength trainees. Per his own words, he does not train powerlifters.

That being said, if someone is new to powerlifting there is nothing wrong with using his technique as a jumping off point and once further experience is gained, the trainee can explore techinques more suited to their structure. Trying to teach a newbie the nuances of technique when they can’t lift enough weight to cause technique breakdown is useless.

Rip’s deadlift technique is not much different from Andy Bolton’s youtube instructional videos.

2 Likes

True enough, it’s better to start of with something that might be less than 100% optimal but learn to do it properly and safely than to get confused by listening to too many conflicting opinions. However, if the cue is simply “high hips” then it will easily turn into a SLDL and that is not what we want, which I why I mentioned that the hips also need to be close to the bar. I’m not a fan of Rippetoe because he has a particular way of doing things that is at odds with the majority of other lifters in most cases, but you could certainly do worse than listen to him.

I was trying to evaluate his info based on his intent.

Disregarding his context, some of his cues are downright goofy. In addition to the SLDL you mentioned there are the false gripping the bar in the squat, looking at the floor in the squat (try that with a meet max), the shoulder width grip in the press, the fetish for the power clean as a DL assistance move, the refusal to believe there is such a thing as a DE deadlift, and many others.

My and probably others problem with him and his programming stems from his dogmatic "one way to do it " approach. Most of us here (except for the newbies) have individualized our techniques and Rip has no real relevance except as a curiosity.

2 Likes