Rippetoe's for 5 Months, Thoughts on Progress?

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
The people in my life who do not fall into the above categories are the folks I know from my gym. And even in that group there are people who wrap themselves in a thick cloak of cognitive dissonance. People who know what works but do other things anyway and then wail away about lack of progress.
[/quote]

You know, I’ve been “exercising” for a long time, but only recently have I really been honest with myself about how my current “training” is really building towards my goal or not.

I had a long period after college where I drifted from one thing to the next - running, then P90X, then back to barbell lifting, then running more, then biking, and so forth - staying quite “fit” all the while, sure, but for much of that time I changed goals every couple of weeks, inevitably convincing myself that whatever new “thingy” I adopted was going to be THE secret that finally turned me from “guy that’s in good shape” to “Sixpack McStudderson.”

Even now, I’ve only recently resolved to really hammer two particular goals (the pullup challenge and kettlebell challenge described in my training log) and in just a couple of weeks since making that resolution, I’ve noticed some small physique improvements (after a year or so of slow-but-steady backsliding that left me with a little less muscle and a little more lard than I’m used to) that have me itching for more. I’m all for variety in training, but a little bit of honesty with yourself & focus can do wonders.