Rippetoe's 'Conditioning is a Sham' Article

I dont think the old man said anything really disagreeable in this article.

If your stronger at the same bodyweight, you automatically do alot of things better/easier.

I have experienced it myself.

First hand experience…I was a tubby 14 year old ninth grader who could make it through all of my practices and sprints without falling behind…except the 15 yds behind I was at the finish . I was slow and non-athletic.

One summer of weight training coupled with warehouse work turned my athletic career around…it was super NOOB training but with all of the effort we had. I came back faster, stronger, and lost virtually no conditioning. Three years later I was about as ‘athletic’ as someone can get, this athleticism stays with me 25 years later. It didn’t work out this way for the joggers!

Rip doesn’t mention it but it is difficult for newbies to give 100% to a conditioning effort of any type, some trainers never get it. This is not the case with weights! If you load a trap bar, stand a kid in the middle of it and have him pick it up until failure 9 out of 10 kids will have nothing in the tank at the end of the set. Tell a kid to run a mile or two or for 20 minutes and although they may kick enough at the end to feel terrible but that’s about it. The ability to go all out might be one of the most valuable ‘skills’ a young athlete can have.

I don’t agree with everything Rip says, and frankly no one should care whether I do or not. But he practices what he preaches, is stronger than I am, and has trained thousands of athletes, and is spot on with this.

I guess 56x11 gtfo. Oh well.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]superdad4 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:
a 250 pound guy doing 10 reps with 315 isnt much at all. 100’s of older guys doing that at gyms… he was average when he ate all hid roids in his hey day. now that hes older hes doing average lifts… so what. nothing special.

chris. i’m 6’ 150# because i bicycle race… whats that got to do with me saying all guys in the front page photos are huge?? i guess i could gain a ton of weight, but then i wouldnt be as good in cycling and i wouldnt get paid for my high placings in races…

personally, i train specificially for my sport.

he may know a bit about form and some movements, but who cares. hundreds of guys like him around. he has a web page and my buddy asked him some questions and he ALWAYS replied. when he asked him about his all time best lifts, if he did those roid free, he didnt get a reply!!! there you go. those roids could have given him an extra 50-150#'s on his lifts… we dont know, cause he didnt do it the natural way…if he did, i bet he would have replied to my buddy asking him… no respect for a drug user.they preach form, form form, 5/3/1. 5/5/5/5/5/5. but they dont tell you they got the way they did taking roids…[/quote]

Holy cow, what a chump.[/quote]
Push, I assume you are refering to spk, not Rippetoe as to being the chump, are you not? If not, we need to talk. [/quote]

I quoted the chump.

Ripp is one smart, dedicated, effective coach in my humble or even not so humble opinion.

I have no idea why a 6’, 150 lbs bicycle racer who doesn’t want to build muscle is even on a site dedicated to building muscle EVEN if his absurd comments are on the Conditioning forum.

The article was a superb piece of wisdom and a reasonably intelligent reader should’ve easily been able to “decipher” the wisdom in it.

Good grief.[/quote]
Push, that is what I figured. Thanks for restoring my faith in the T-Nation community. I was starting to think maybe I was the one on the wrong website after reading so many anti-Rippetoe responses. Personally I think ole Rip symbolizes what T-Nation is all about.

[quote]mmasone wrote:The ability to go all out might be one of the most valuable ‘skills’ a young athlete can have.

[/quote]

Little off topic, but I like this statement. Too many people refuse to push hard and still expect to perform better.

[quote]MatthewMovement wrote:

[quote]mmasone wrote:The ability to go all out might be one of the most valuable ‘skills’ a young athlete can have.

[/quote]

Little off topic, but I like this statement. Too many people refuse to push hard and still expect to perform better.[/quote]

Bingo. A lot of people ask me how to get better, or how my 50 year old can squat more than them, with a higher vert, but then refuse to do the work. It’s not pills, it’s not meds, it’s hard ass work. A lot of people fool themselves into thinking they are working “really hard” when oi n fsct they do not have a handle on what hard really is

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
This may not be in keeping with the tone of this thread so far, but I really appreciated what Mr. Rippetoe said about training in the military.

We absolutely don’t do anything conducive to strength gains, we run way too much, and our ranks are, for the most part, filled with skinny-fat soft-bodies who resemble suckling pigs. [/quote]

In you opinion would army guys be better at their jobs by lifting more and running less? [/quote]

Man, I really think there’s two threads here, but absolutely YES; less running (far less) and more strength training (hell, ANY strength training). But that goes directly against the dinosaur thinking that runs rampant with senior ranking officers and NCOs who equate running 2 miles in under 12:00 = warrior. With many of my peers it’s like talking to a wall (I’m old). “Strength training? getting all bulked up like a bodybuilder makes you inflexible and stiff, and besides…you can’t run fast when you’re big.” ??? How exactly, does distance running prepare you for the rigors of ground combat? Asinine.

I really hope the younger Soldiers on here steer the Army away from its running fetish as they move onward and upward. But I doubt it will happen.

Rippetoe’s article was GREAT. There’s not much to debate here. Getting stronger will always help you at your sport, and strength needs to be the base of any program. And obviously, PLAYING the damn sport is essential. You don’t get good at a sport by lifting. But it complements the skills you develop. Oftentimes, playing the sport is all the conditioning you need for a sport. But if you need more conditioning, especially during the off-season, then do some. But whatever the case, make your conditioning fairly specific to the activity you do. Meaning, there’s not much transfer from jogging for 20 minutes to playing football. But there certainly is from doing 10 second Prowler Sprints to playing football. Bottom line: Lift weights. Get stronger. Take that new, stronger body and play your sport.

^^^^^

“take that new stronger body and play your sport”.

this statements been around a hundred years!!!

no shit!!

I actually downloaded the article so I can print it out and show it to my analogue folks.
It’s a jewel.

This was probably one of the most mis-read articles on T-Nation.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
This may not be in keeping with the tone of this thread so far, but I really appreciated what Mr. Rippetoe said about training in the military.

We absolutely don’t do anything conducive to strength gains, we run way too much, and our ranks are, for the most part, filled with skinny-fat soft-bodies who resemble suckling pigs. [/quote]

In you opinion would army guys be better at their jobs by lifting more and running less? [/quote]

I think many of them would, yes. At the end of the day, every soldier I’m working with better be able to carry me if I get my leg blown off, and 5 mile runs aren’t helping anyone towards that end.

A good cardiovascular base is important, but most of the guys in my company can’t do a pullup. 1 PULLUP. How is that combat effective? I’m giving a seminar in a few weeks to my squad where I intend to go over some primary lifts and introduce them to a few sources of information (Dan John, Wendler, Rippetoe, etc.).

[quote]DirtyM wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

Man, I really think there’s two threads here, but absolutely YES; less running (far less) and more strength training (hell, ANY strength training). But that goes directly against the dinosaur thinking that runs rampant with senior ranking officers and NCOs who equate running 2 miles in under 12:00 = warrior. With many of my peers it’s like talking to a wall (I’m old). “Strength training? getting all bulked up like a bodybuilder makes you inflexible and stiff, and besides…you can’t run fast when you’re big.” ??? How exactly, does distance running prepare you for the rigors of ground combat? Asinine.

I really hope the younger Soldiers on here steer the Army away from its running fetish as they move onward and upward. But I doubt it will happen. [/quote]

YES. Hey, if you can tell me how to go about changing things, I’m all ears.

^^^^

wonder how many pullups rip can do?

seems like most people think this rip guy is some kinda god. he may be a genius at knowing how to train properly, correct form, peaking, and things like this, but personally, i’ll go back to what reply my buddy didnt get from him. he got replies on all his other questions to rip, but the one question, did rip hit all his pr’s drug free??, rip didnt reply.so that tells me, he lifted “good” numbers in his competitions, but not great numbers. he had to take the drugs to get to a higher level. hell if you’re a genius and know a ton, use all that knowledge to get to the next level… drug free. in my opinion, good coach, a good lifter. not a god…

No one is saying he’s a god. I expect most people agree with 90% of his ideas but would still debate certain ideas of his. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t deserve respect. Asking Rip whether he did his PRs whilst on roids is a fucking rude, disrespectful and naive thing to ask especially when he has been taking the time to answer your friend’s (no doubt stupid and nooblike) questions.

I wouldn’t answer it either, why the hell should he have to validate himself to some wimpy prick who he’s just been giving advice to?

Personally I think you come under the same category as your mate. Not very strong, not very big and constantly looking to put people who are better than you down by concluding that ‘they must be on roids’ because they’re better than you.

^^^^ Exactly. Who ever said anything remotely close to Rip being a god? Also, you are right on about the roids question. Who would answer such a rude question. If anyone has at least read Rip’s stuff they should at least respect him. He knows his stuff.

[quote]spk wrote:
seems like most people think this rip guy is some kinda god. he may be a genius at knowing how to train properly, correct form, peaking, and things like this, but personally, i’ll go back to what reply my buddy didnt get from him. he got replies on all his other questions to rip, but the one question, did rip hit all his pr’s drug free??, rip didnt reply.so that tells me, he lifted “good” numbers in his competitions, but not great numbers. he had to take the drugs to get to a higher level. hell if you’re a genius and know a ton, use all that knowledge to get to the next level… drug free. in my opinion, good coach, a good lifter. not a god…[/quote]

What’s so special about being drug free?

Are all your favorite musicians drug free? How much of what they did was effected by drug use? Does it matter?

I’m not even talking about Rippetoe at this point, I just think you need to start questioning the considerable amount of assumptions you’re making.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
This was probably one of the most mis-read articles on T-Nation.[/quote]

I agree, and I think this is unfortunate because it is one of the most practical and unassuming articles I have read on T-Nation. My only criticism is that Mr. Rippetoe could have done a better job of citing his sources; it would have stemmed much of the debate.

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
No one is saying he’s a god. I expect most people agree with 90% of his ideas but would still debate certain ideas of his. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t deserve respect. Asking Rip whether he did his PRs whilst on roids is a fucking rude, disrespectful and naive thing to ask especially when he has been taking the time to answer your friend’s (no doubt stupid and nooblike) questions.

I wouldn’t answer it either, why the hell should he have to validate himself to some wimpy prick who he’s just been giving advice to?

Personally I think you come under the same category as your mate. Not very strong, not very big and constantly looking to put people who are better than you down by concluding that ‘they must be on roids’ because they’re better than you.[/quote]

Fucking exactly. Total prick move. What he did was ask a totally rude and disrespectful question and is trying to use the non-answer as an excuse to why he sucks ass. It’s a catch 22–answer the question and “he’s lying, that’s not possible” or “he told me he did drugs so he’s not legit”. Don’t answer the question and it’s “OMG he must be on roizzzzez because he didn’t answer my dumb ass rude and disrespectful question!! He’s a fraud!” It’s a blatant excuse move of the mentally weak to justify why they suck. Who cares if the coach is drug free if HIS COACHING KNOWLEDGE has gotten hundreds of other people to the next level drug-free?

Rippetoe isn’t even one of my favorite authors and coaches. Just about everybody on the beginner’s forum knows that I am NOT a huge Starting Strength fan. I just fucking hate some weak willed, weak minded people disrespecting a coach who has more decades spent making people better athletes than they have spent years sucking air as a outside the womb.