1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Wkout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B.

Anyone ever tried this with good results? I’m not sure why the deadlift volume is so low… I want to focus more on deadlifts, do you think I could switch the squats and deadlifts around? Or could I do one day of deads and one day of squats, rather than 2 days of squats?

Thanks

I have used this and can tell you it’s awesome. You don’t need to deadlift much because squatting works the same muscles and you’re squatting three times a week. Btw…3x5 or 1x5 doesn’t include ramping to the working set.

It’s a great program for beginners (like me). Just don’t mess with it and you’ll be fine.

Just make sure you eat enough.

I know everyone says “don’t mess with it,” or just “suck it up and squat”. Don’t get me wrong; I love squatting-- it’s my favorite exercise. However, I’ve had problems with muscular balance between my quads and posterior chain due to squatting too much. For this reason, I’d like to focus on deadlifts as well as squats. Could I do this? Or could I switch deadlifts and squats around?

Thanks

Absoultely do not switch anything. This guy has gotten unbelievable results with his athletes.

Good luck.

[quote]solidgk wrote:
I know everyone says “don’t mess with it,” or just “suck it up and squat”. Don’t get me wrong; I love squatting-- it’s my favorite exercise. However, I’ve had problems with muscular balance between my quads and posterior chain due to squatting too much. For this reason, I’d like to focus on deadlifts as well as squats. Could I do this? Or could I switch deadlifts and squats around?

Thanks[/quote]

Then you must do a high bar Olympic squat…

I thought high bar olympic squats worked primarily the quads… Perhaps box squats would be better? I’m still leaning towards deadlifts however. Or I could perform some glute hams before my squat workouts. Would this be effective?

Do wide-stance, low-bar box squats for posterior chain.

who is rippetoe?
how often is it done?
what are the goals?

which squat is better for hamstring, glute strengthening?
front, back and wide or narrow?

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
who is rippetoe?
how often is it done?
what are the goals?

which squat is better for hamstring, glute strengthening?
front, back and wide or narrow?

[/quote]
Search button, search button, search button, search button and…search button.

Box squatting 3x weekly seems a little strange. Deadlifts are arguably closer to the prescriptions of the original program than wide stance box squatting 3x a week. Why can’t I just do deadlifts instead of squats for one workout? Would this really detract from the goals of the program that much?

Thanks

Rippetoe is a strength coach who wrote Starting Strength. The program is to be done 3x a week, alternating workouts (A/B/A one week, B/A/B the next).

Classic, solid beginner program. Do that and eat well and you will grow.

Remember, just because it’s a beginner prog., doesn’t mean that it won’t be great for experienced guys too.

I have a friend who hasn’t been training for almost two years now, and he ask me for a program and I’m thinking I’ll put him on this one. Was wondering that what to do with the chins cos I really dont belive he can do 8 reps? should i sub them with pull-downs or star working with the chins in rep range he can manage?

well i did a search. nothing on the program. i know he is an author however. that helps a lot

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
I have used this and can tell you it’s awesome. You don’t need to deadlift much because squatting works the same muscles and you’re squatting three times a week. Btw…3x5 or 1x5 doesn’t include ramping to the working set.

[/quote]

you ramp up the weight for each exercise? i thought it was only necessary for the first lift.

I don’t know where you got that program, but it wasn’t from Starting Strength. The program he outlines in the book is:

A

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

B

3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
3x5 Power Clean

That’s all. I’ve seen probably 6 or 7 different programs on different boards that people are calling “Starting Strength” or “Rippetoe’s Program” or whatever. None of them are the program as laid out in his book.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
I don’t know where you got that program, but it wasn’t from Starting Strength. The program he outlines in the book is:

A

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

B

3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
3x5 Power Clean

That’s all. I’ve seen probably 6 or 7 different programs on different boards that people are calling “Starting Strength” or “Rippetoe’s Program” or whatever. None of them are the program as laid out in his book.[/quote]

I agree, I have the Starting Strength book as well.

You could by the book…

Wide stance, low bar squats real deep will hit your posterior chain. If you’re worried about the PC:Quad ratio, this would be the way to go…

[quote]solidgk wrote:
Box squatting 3x weekly seems a little strange. Deadlifts are arguably closer to the prescriptions of the original program than wide stance box squatting 3x a week. Why can’t I just do deadlifts instead of squats for one workout? Would this really detract from the goals of the program that much?

Thanks

Rippetoe is a strength coach who wrote Starting Strength. The program is to be done 3x a week, alternating workouts (A/B/A one week, B/A/B the next).[/quote]

Thats a great program so why don’t you just put everything you have into the program as it’s laid out and forget about your perceived imbalances.

You love squatting? Do you regularly come close to throwing up during squats? Have to lie on the floor between sets for fear of falling over? See stars during sets? If you answer no the above then you need more weight on the bar… see how you love it then.

Oxblood, pull downs and pull ups are not the same exercise. If your man cannot get the rep scheme required have him perform timed negative chins.

I’m thinking about switching to this program(Rippetoe) after I’m done with my Bill Starr/Madcow Cycle (second in a row). I’ve ordered ‘Starting Strength’, so I probably will give the program a try. But what about a rowing? Alot of coaches talk about imbalances, if you don’t row, will the power cleans make up for that in the Rippetoe program?

Just as a note. The Bill Starr/Madcow program is the best I have ever tried, in 3 years of training. Gains in strength and mass are really good.