Rippetoe, Slap in the Newbie Face

Good going dude, still nice & lean despite a significant weight gain.

Keep a bulkin!!!

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
And fuck the supersets, drop sets and forced reps. As a super skinny 6 foot 1 guy you would grow to 205 riding a bike and doing light gardening, that doesn’t mean it’s the way to go. Pick 2-3 movements per muscle group, train in a moderate rep range, and use a basic bodybuilding split covering all muscle groups. Eat to grow, and report back in 2 years.
[/quote]

These intensity techniques should have a place in every lifter’s repertoire, used consistently or not.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
And fuck the supersets, drop sets and forced reps. As a super skinny 6 foot 1 guy you would grow to 205 riding a bike and doing light gardening, that doesn’t mean it’s the way to go. Pick 2-3 movements per muscle group, train in a moderate rep range, and use a basic bodybuilding split covering all muscle groups. Eat to grow, and report back in 2 years.
[/quote]

These intensity techniques should have a place in every lifter’s repertoire, used consistently or not.[/quote]

I disagree. There is no upside for a novice lifter to be utilizing such techniques when he is so far away from reaching his strength potential.

[quote]ToMass wrote:
I’m 23 and have been super strict to keeping to my diet and sleep schedual. Only gone out drinking prolly 4 times in 5 months…kinda no life but once i reach my goal there will be plenty of time for that. Looking to be a ripped 210, what do i need to bulk to?.[/quote]

You did a great job! Keep putting on the size. You’re nowhere near 20% bf. There’s no way to tell you what you need to bulk to inorder to diet down to a ripped 210. There’s too many factors. Just keep focusing on getting bigger and stronger.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
[/quote]

These intensity techniques should have a place in every lifter’s repertoire, used consistently or not.[/quote]

I disagree. There is no upside for a novice lifter to be utilizing such techniques when he is so far away from reaching his strength potential.[/quote]

so when i finally get to a 700lb raw squat, THEN i should do drop sets and shit?

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
A newbie should see no or at least no more than a SLIGHT increase in bodyfat going from 165 to 205. Unless your squats and dead poundages increased dramatically doing starting strength, I’d say you did nothing more than get fat.
[/quote]

Blanket statements like this just screw people over. Everyone doesn’t have the same genetics. Your goal should be to train according to the progress YOU alone are making…not some guideline as if all people will have the same limit for fat gain when they go up that much in body weight.

If person A gains 25lbs of fat in the process and person gains 15, it doesn’t mean Person A necessarily did it wrong. Not to mention, people being excessively worried about body fat mau just be why I may at the most only see two larger lifters in the gym at any given time today vs seeing most of the gym look that way just 10 years previous.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree. There is no upside for a novice lifter to be utilizing such techniques when he is so far away from reaching his strength potential.[/quote]

now you’re talking strength potential? First you start off saying someone who put on 40lbs of bodyweight in 4-5 months shouldnt have added any fat, now talking about strength potential? Whats next… genetic limitations? Give it a rest already

I didn’t say he shouldn’t have added ANY fat. Someone going from 165 to 205 (and at 6 foot 1 no less, lol) and making himself 20% BF in the prosess would have been a major screw up. As it stands, this wasn’t the case, so chill the fuck out. Going from skinny as hell to normal weight for your height is not the same as putting on 40 lbs after you’ve made those newbie gains.

I’m not trying to take anything away from anybody, kid has made good progress so far. But he logged on thinking he was too fat now and maybe had to diet, and now we’re doing drop sets and super sets with 225 on the bench press?

He needs to keep gaining weight and strength for a few years if he ever wants to look filled out. Screwing around with a bunch of intensity techniques at this point is detrimental to that.

There, I’m done with this.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
A NEWBIE SHOULD SEE NO or at least no more than a slight increase in bodyfat going from 165 to 205.[/quote]

Bolded and CAPS for emphasis

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
I didn’t say he shouldn’t have added ANY fat. [/quote]