Rippetoe Ripped Apart

Has anyone listened to the latest Strength Of Evidence podcast?

Bret Contreras and Jonathan Fass rip Rippetoe apart point by point, countering his dogma and attempted appeal to meatheads with cold, hard research - it’s entertaining stuff…

Why is Rippetoe so mad anyway? In his last few articles he seems to just be shaking his fist at anyone doing a lunge, or a leg press, or a biceps curls. Live and let live RIP.

What does this have to do with bodybuilding

[quote]csulli wrote:
What does this have to do with bodybuilding[/quote]

Everything.

Rippetoe says there’s only one way to build strength and muscle, the guys on the podcast contest that.

Are those 2 guys strong?

[quote]lunk wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
What does this have to do with bodybuilding[/quote]

Everything.

Rippetoe says there’s only one way to build strength and muscle, the guys on the podcast contest that.[/quote]

I’m saying the guy doing a podcast on joint centration is probably not that strong

Is Bret Contreras the one who started crying about Lyle McDonald tearing him a new one on the internet?

Do as I say not as I do.

[quote]PJS2010 wrote:
Are those 2 guys strong?

[/quote]

Hey, this is sort of Rippetoe logic - attack the man - who cares about his argument.

But, regardless, Bret Contreras is definitely strong. Don’t know about the other guy.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Is Bret Contreras the one who started crying about Lyle McDonald tearing him a new one on the internet?

Do as I say not as I do. [/quote]

I thought Lyle was pathetic, actually, and he cowardly declined the opportunity to have an intelligent conversation - no doubt he would have gotten destroyed.

I like Starting Strength, but Mark Rippetoe says some stupid shit at times lol…

Well his most recent article got a rather negative response and quie rightly. Calling it an article is generous, it was a poorly written meathead ‘opinion blog’

[quote]PJS2010 wrote:
Are those 2 guys strong?

[/quote]

Is this a powerlifting forum?

I don’t always agree with Rippetoe, but I appreciate where he is coming from and enjoy the way he says it, haha.

Reading “Mean Ol Mr Gravity” was illuminating for why he is so pissed off. Guy deals with a lot of stupid questions.

I gotta say that in this current internet-heavy information age there seems to be a serious abundance of ‘experts’ always jumping to trash other people’s approaches. Now I certainly don’t see anything wrong with presenting opinions in an objective and respectful manner, but that rarely seems to be the case.

Rippetoe is one of those guys who has been around for a while, and while some people do make great progress following his suggestions, others do not. More often, it has to do with the individual’s specific goals. In the case of Bodybuilding, I have heard a lot of people attribute early gains to such an approach, intermediates and advanced trainers often come to the conclusion of it not being the best approach.

S

I did Starting Strength for about 8 months, back when I was still newer to lifting. Was able to get my squat from 155 lbs for 5 reps to 335 for 1, and my deadlift went from 185 for 5 reps to 375 for 2 reps. My upper body did pretty much nothing though. Only reason I even did SS was because a few posters on here told me too.

I will say, my legs have been pretty strong (relatively speaking) ever since, even after 2 major surgeries and a long time off. Squatting 3x a week starting out will help there I guess.

From a bodybuilding prospective, it really needs to be tweaked a good amount to even be considered being followed. Pretty much no upper body work outside of bench and military press.

If I could do it over, I would not have done SS. I think there are better beginner programs if your goal is a balanced physique.

Rip must just fed up with commercial gyms and their trainers re-inventing the wheel with bosu balls and other circus acts. I think this trend is geared mostly toward female clients that don’t want to get “too big” and just want to tone…etc…

He sounds abrasive sometimes and his philosophy is most likely an overreaction to this, but he is honest and doesn’t seem like he would treat you differently based on your gender or take your money without letting you know the importance of basic hard work.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Rip must just fed up with commercial gyms and their trainers re-inventing the wheel with bosu balls and other circus acts. I think this trend is geared mostly toward female clients that don’t want to get “too big” and just want to tone…etc…

He sounds abrasive sometimes and his philosophy is most likely an overreaction to this, but he is honest and doesn’t seem like he would treat you differently based on your gender or take your money without letting you know the importance of basic hard work.[/quote]

Yeah accept for the fact that he throws anyone in that category including prominent coaches, athletes and physical therapists.

You cannot get big and strong on 3000 kcal/day. And you cannot eat 7000/day and eat perfectly clean

• Mark Rippetoe

Now John Meadows responding in his forum to a commenter suggesting that 3200 calories sounded low for him:

3200 cals does not seem low to me…unless you pay no attention to intraworkout nutrition…you get that whole peri time perfected, and you don’t need to eat like a pig to grow. -John Meadows from his forum on this site.

Now one question. Who looks more muscular? More athletic? Go find a pic of Rippetoe in his prime so it’s apples to apples.

Now with a method that creates a less muscular physique, why is Rippetoe so adamant that his way is the only way to get muscular?

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:

He sounds abrasive sometimes and his philosophy is most likely an overreaction to this, but he is honest and doesn’t seem like he would treat you differently based on your gender or take your money without letting you know the importance of basic hard work.[/quote]

I agree. The guy comes across as honest with no BS. I think that you are correct in that there is so much nonsense out there right now, he has probably had enough. I am personally tired of all the complexities that accompany today’s strength and conditioning field. He probably overstates the point a bit. I don’t see unilateral work as being as much of an issue as he states but I do agree that physical therapy has had way too much influence in the strength and conditioning community. In the last 35 years I have watched a simple process become ridiculously complex. I hate to be a skeptic but I think a lot of this is driven by the desire of those in the industry to maximize their earnings potential. I don’t blame them for doing this, as those of us capitalist still left still appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit. But with Rippetoe you get the feeling that he doesn’t seem to give a crap about what other people think. He would be on my short list of people I would want to train with.

Ripple has good points sometimes but I was never a fan of Starting Strength. It’s decent for someone starting out but it’s too “pussified”. One set of deadlift. What?

The shut up and squat guys are just as annoying as the isolation “it’s not safe to load your spine” bros. Both are dogmatic idiots.