2x8 Dips

Workout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 Bent over rows
2x8 Chinups

Done 3x a week, rotating A and B.
[/quote]

I’m 18 6’1 160 pounds very skinny and I want to get bigger, I know it won’t happen over night, but I just need a good program, I’m familiar with a lot of exercises. Even though I’ve been lifting for a while I was very lazy and wasn’t eating good/enough , so now I know why I wasn’t getting bigger, but now I’m more motivated and have access to the gym all the time, 3 days a week.

My question is : I heard a lot of good stuff about this program and everyone says don’t change it around just do it EXACTLY to get big and eat ALOT. But would it really hurt to add in some isolated exercises for triceps, shoulders, calves etc. ?

I know they are all compound exercises but can just 4 compound exercises train all the muscles, won’t I lack some places like shoulders triceps and other main groups?

It just seems like a short workout for me, but I’m not an expert

What are your guys thoughts?

I say DO NOT MESS WITH IT! I’m actually doing Starting Strength right now. You hit all the major groups with the you are referring too (minus calves) with benching, dips, military press. You could sneak in some calf work, but seriously I wouldn’t add much. The workout becomes very difficult.

-Matt

you already “messed” with it. The way ripp has it layed out is:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Workout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 powercleans
2x8 Chinups

And lastly, you’ll be fine.

If it seems short then you aren’t doing the warm-ups as prescribed. Doing them put my SS program to about 1-1.5 hours long. Mind you that longer routines aren’t necessarily better for you, much like feeling completely wasted doesn’t always accompany a good workout.

As for adding isolation - don’t. You don’t need isolation exercises. I can speculate that isolations will more than likely impede your recovery on the SS program, and that can interfere with your progress. The lifts take a LOT out of you and, even if you can’t feel the hypertrophy in every muscle, the muscles have been worked.

you want your workouts short, trust me. thats a plus. just stick to improving strength & mass in the major muscles and as you develop a neural adaptation to these demands you’ll then be able to add extra work for the smaller muscles. you wont need specific isolation work for quite a while.

eat, eat, eat and after you eat, eat some more!

Do powercleans instead of rows. It’s a compound lift that recruits a lot, therefore will help your gains in all places greatly. You mention triceps and shoulders as something that may be lacking. Well, between standing press and powercleans those will be definitely taken care of. The reason people say don’t change anything is because this program is most efficient as it is set, not with other excercises added. If you, for whatever reason, absolutely need to add extra work in otherwise you’ll die, then add a bit of ab work. Nothin’ wrong with workin’ the core. Also, if done right with proper warm-ups and busting your ass, it won’t be a short workout.

Wow ok sounds good I’m excited can’t wait to start it. All I will add is some abs at the end if it makes sense and if I’m not too tired.

Where can I find the original Rippetoe Workout Article, I thought I saved the link but now I can’t find it it’s driving me crazy.

Thanks for the responses.

[quote]flupavo wrote:
Wow ok sounds good I’m excited can’t wait to start it. All I will add is some abs at the end if it makes sense and if I’m not too tired.

Where can I find the original Rippetoe Workout Article, I thought I saved the link but now I can’t find it it’s driving me crazy.

Thanks for the responses.[/quote]

it’s actually a book. A thread on it can be found at:

[quote]flupavo wrote:

Thanks for the responses.[/quote]

Follow Zep’s link. Consider buying the book though, it will save your life and make America a better place.

Let’s look at this rationally. And I don’t mean to offend anyone here.

But why does every 160lb newb thinks he is smarter than a world famous coatch?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:

But why does every 160lb newb thinks he is smarter than a world famous coatch?[/quote]

I think it’s a coupling of ‘common sense’ and lack of knowledge. Common sense will tell the novice that working muscles will result in fatigue; and since this program makes the claim that the entire body is worked toward strength gaining yet they don’t “feel” the difference in indirectly worked muscles (instead of looking at the numbers), that lack of knowledge mentioned earlier betrays their common sense.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

[/quote]

Cool thanks that’s what I read earlier, does the book have more info or is it the same as this link?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:

But why does every 160lb newb thinks he is smarter than a world famous coatch?[/quote]

I don’t think I’m smarter, I asked the questions to educate myself. If I’m doing something, I like to know how and why it works. Just seems logical to me.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
you already “messed” with it. The way ripp has it layed out is:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Dips

Workout B:
3x5 Squats
3x5 Standing press
3x5 powercleans
2x8 Chinups

And lastly, you’ll be fine.[/quote]

Just so you know, there are no dips and chinups in his program. People just seem to like adding them in. I’ve heard people say that he has people do that at his gym but he has said it’s not true. I don’t know why I wouldn’t believe him.

[quote]flupavo wrote:
I know it won’t happen over night[/quote]

YES IT WILL! Just kidding, I know you’re not talking literally. Make sure and get plenty of sleep.

[quote]flupavo wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

Cool thanks that’s what I read earlier, does the book have more info or is it the same as this link?

Der Candy wrote:

But why does every 160lb newb thinks he is smarter than a world famous coatch?

I don’t think I’m smarter, I asked the questions to educate myself. If I’m doing something, I like to know how and why it works. Just seems logical to me.
[/quote]

In answering your question, the book discusses the major core lifts in detail, so you know what they’re actually doing for you, as well as form and explains why you go with a certain form. It also discusses good assistant exercises for when you need them. Then it lays out a brief chapter of programming. I have a copy and its well worth the buy. You mention educating yourself, the book will definitely help you do that, and give you much more.

I dont like the dips/chins part. I think bench + deadlift + dips all in one session is too much for the shoulders. On days you have to squat AND deadlift I’m not looking to do extra stuff at all… I’m blasted. I can see hanging from bars being nice for decompressing the back though.

The squats alone make rippletoe pretty damn taxing. I’m a geezer though. The program rocks but being a total slave to it isnt always a great idea. Some people will have problems others wont.

I notice younger people are eager to do more and older people eager to do less. Maybe there’s something to that.

Nice, I rarely ever buy books I do most of the reading on the internet, but I will definitely pick this one up if it’s as good as it sounds.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Just so you know, there are no dips and chinups in his program. People just seem to like adding them in. I’ve heard people say that he has people do that at his gym but he has said it’s not true. I don’t know why I wouldn’t believe him.[/quote]

I haven’t read the book but dips/chins seem to be the accepted additions as one moves into more advanced stages with this program. All in all, you are probably correct.

I actually really like the dips and chins. They are only added in later when the lifter gets better conditioned to the work and feels that he wants to add some higher rep work in.

1 more question, please don’t yell at me I know it sounds dumb :).

I’m skinny, but I’m still out of shape, so my chest is kinda pointy, it sucks … you guys said It will workout all the muscle groups, so that should fix my chest at the same time right, and maybe some extra flab around my stomach?

Because I know I’m too skinny, I don’t want to do cardio, I’m trying to gain weight, but those areas just bother me.

Thanks.