Ripped Off Calluses

So the other day a friend and myself were throwing a keg and a rock on the beach, we did a 1/4 mile each with each object.

Well when it was over I realized that the keg had ripped off two calluses on my hand. It?s pretty deep too.

Anyway, I’ve been trying to keep it clean and it hasn’t hampered my lifts too much but is hampering a little as I have it bandaged and can?t grip as hard.

Has anyone else done this before? How long did it take you to heal? Should I just wear a glove till it does heal?

Thanks

Josh

More Nasty pic?s below, look carefully you can see my beloved keg.

M is for Moisture

yes i would wear a glove or bandage when it happened to me, but only when working with it. I made the mistake of bandaging a hugely grotesque one wayyy too tight, and the wound just “boiled” is what my doctor called it. You have to allow it to breathe and obviously be supplied with blood.

I just bound the hell out of it because theres nothing more annoying than loose bandages that have to be reattached every god damn minute.

Don’t be dumb like me though.

I heal pretty quick so it’d be 10 days or so, haven’t had anything like that for a while. I’d just clean it up and keep it covered for 2-3 days. I’m sure that the prof will have more accurate info. The best part was that didn’t notice it till later.

I have ripped many calluses doing high rep KB snatches. I usually cut the rest of the callus off, clean it good and fill it in with super glue. Works like a charm. You can usually go back to lifting the same day or next.

by the way, neosporin was recommended and i guess it helps, i never really conducted a test, haha.

if you continue to work with it despite the pain, a bigger and much more difficult to remove callous will grow back. Earn it, dude.

This is a regular thing when you start rock climbing. Just wrap it. Put some neosporin on a bandaid or tissue and wrap it with hockey-tape. Back to training.

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:
I have ripped many calluses doing high rep KB snatches. I usually cut the rest of the callus off, clean it good and fill it in with super glue. Works like a charm. You can usually go back to lifting the same day or next.[/quote]

Yeah, I recall reading that super glue was developed for soldiers in Vietnam due to the high humidty enviroment creating problem with nicks,cuts and the like. It sure sticks skin together as a lot of found out as kids.

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:
I have ripped many calluses doing high rep KB snatches. I usually cut the rest of the callus off, clean it good and fill it in with super glue. Works like a charm. You can usually go back to lifting the same day or next.[/quote]

exactly what I was gonna say. I’ve torn calluses and pads many many times rock climbing. Just make sure you let that superglue set well before grabbing anything or making a fist. I once filled a ripped callus up with glue and immediately went back to the rock. Hit a big dyno and “stuck” it perfectly. Unfortunately I was literally glued to the rock and pulled even more skin off when I went to make the next move and fell.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
So the other day a friend and myself were throwing a keg and a rock on the beach, we did a 1/4 mile each with each object.

Well when it was over I realized that the keg had ripped off two calluses on my hand. It?s pretty deep too.

Anyway, I’ve been trying to keep it clean and it hasn’t hampered my lifts too much but is hampering a little as I have it bandaged and can?t grip as hard.

Has anyone else done this before? How long did it take you to heal? Should I just wear a glove till it does heal?

Thanks

Josh

More Nasty pic?s below, look carefully you can see my beloved keg.
[/quote]

Dude, I tear callouses twice as big as those bitches in just about every strongman contest I do, and guess what, It always happens when I got more gripping events to do. They aren’t a big deal.

Some people super glue the skin back on if it’s still hanging. I cut all the excessive and swollen skin and poor some iodine or another disinfectant that keeps it moist so it doesn’t dry up and mess up my contest (if it dries I can’t close my hands properly). After the contest, I put polysporin on it 3-5 times a day. Often I compete the following week-end and train in between them.

Superglue will work wonders. Other alternatives include Johnson & Johnson’s Liquid skin and a product called Dermabond (not sure if it is available to the general public).

Just make sure you clean it thouroughly, and then clean it again before applying any of the above methods, otherwise you may trap an infection below the dressing.

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:

Hmmm I don’t know if I want to fill a wound with super glue, it is actually pretty deep and the exposed skin is “new” raw skin.

I think I’ll stick with cleaning it, neosporine and band aid. And just tape it up at the gym. It hasn’t stopped me yet.

i used to be on the Crew team in college, and me and the other guys used to get the worst calluses from the oar handles. we just taped them up when we had to row, and left them to air out at all other times. its gonna hurt and be extrememly uncomfortable to wash your hands, write, etc, but it’ll grow back tough.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
BJBliffert wrote:
I have ripped many calluses doing high rep KB snatches. I usually cut the rest of the callus off, clean it good and fill it in with super glue. Works like a charm. You can usually go back to lifting the same day or next.

Hmmm I don’t know if I want to fill a wound with super glue, it is actually pretty deep and the exposed skin is “new” raw skin.

I think I’ll stick with cleaning it, neosporine and band aid. And just tape it up at the gym. It hasn’t stopped me yet.[/quote]

It’s not that deep, and people use super glue for cuts and torn callouses all the time, some doc’s even use it.

[quote]Jesse Snadden wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
BJBliffert wrote:

I think I’ll stick with cleaning it, neosporine and band aid. And just tape it up at the gym. It hasn’t stopped me yet.

It’s not that deep, and people use super glue for cuts and torn callouses all the time, some doc’s even use it. [/quote]

Right on I’ll definatly get a tube of superglue in case I need it. Thanks for the advices.

We call em ‘rips’ in gymnastics.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Jesse Snadden wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
BJBliffert wrote:

It’s not that deep, and people use super glue for cuts and torn callouses all the time, some doc’s even use it.

Right on I’ll definatly get a tube of superglue in case I need it. Thanks for the advices.
[/quote]

I ripped a callus the first morning of the RKC during my snatch test. I still had 2-1/2 days of high volume KB stuff. With in 5 minutes of setting the glue only had to be “filled in” once or twice the rest of the weekend. And this sucker was deep, not to take away from you, but much deeper than yours. It was extremely raw. I know your head is telling you it’ll burn, but it doesn’t.

Go for it.

Yup happens all the time pull a heavy maximal DL and grind it out your likly to rip a callaus or two.

Try and keep them in check in the future. lotion daily get one of those pumice stones for feet etc and rub them down. You need the calluses but not in excess. They rip when they get very thick. Keep them thinner and more plyable with lotion and they are less likely to rip off.

They in my case heal quick you’ll be fine back to normal in no time.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Try and keep them in check in the future. lotion daily get one of those pumice stones for feet etc and rub them down. You need the calluses but not in excess. They rip when they get very thick. Keep them thinner and more plyable with lotion and they are less likely to rip off.
[/quote]
I second the maintence aspect, it really minimizes the number of rips. I use a pedicure instrument called a rasp. I looks and works like a cheese grater. Just file off the hard layers after showering when you skin is soft.