RIP Smokin Joe

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Frazier’s left that broke Ali’s jaw was the single greatest punch I have ever seen.[/quote]

Norton,not Frazier, broke Ali’s jaw. But that was one of the best left hooks of all times. They don’t make them like Frazier anymore.

[quote]Josann wrote:

Frazier’s left that broke Ali’s jaw was the single greatest punch I have ever seen.[/quote]

Norton,not Frazier, broke Ali’s jaw. But that was one of the best left hooks of all times. They don’t make them like Frazier anymore. [/quote]

I am pretty sure this is correct. Norton broke the jaw, but never knocked him down.

Frazier’s left hook was consistently as close to perfection as possible.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Damn. How old was he? Think people kind of sleep on what Frazier did 'cause of the other more socially prominent fighters of era, which sucks 'cause he was no joke.[/quote]

he was 67 and i believe he died of cancer

great fighter

didnt get enough appreciation

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Rodimus Black wrote:
They damn sure don’t fight like that anymore. Now those were FIGHTS! THAT was boxing to me.[/quote]

Remember when heavyweights used to fight like that? Instead of the lumbering, boring giants that bore you to death for 12 rounds now…[/quote]

Whatever could you mean? The Klitschko brothers bring excitement to all one (heavythrower) of their fans.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

He’s still the only fan of theirs I know.

Its a shame Joe never got the financial rewards he deserved.
Great fighter- put on some amazing fights.

sunrise to sunset.

You’re right, for some reason I thought that punch broke his jaw, but it was Norton. Frazier just looked like his hook went right through him. I think Eddie Futch was in both corners, anyone know?

a few of the forums I use have been talking about this and I find it funny that almost all of them turn into Ali threads and off of how good Fraiser was.

I kinda think that speaks to how much their fights meant to the sporting world that you cant think of one without the other. At first I kinda thought it was disrespect to Fraiser but as I look back on it I see it as these two men did something very few fighters have done in a long time. They caught the entire worlds eye. Boxing fan or not they know who he is because he was part of something greater than the sport. Its something that most dream of and very few ever get to be a part of.

You’re right, for some reason I thought that punch broke his jaw, but it was Norton. Frazier just looked like his hook went right through him. I think Eddie Futch was in both corners, anyone know?[/quote]

I know Futch trained them both at one time.

Wiki says you were right. Futch was in Norton’s corner when he broke Ali’s jaw.

Quote from wiki

Regards,

Robert A

RIP Smokin’ Joe, you graced us with fights that a select few people are even worthy of watching.

‘What if’s’ are the worst things to live through, and you did it with class. Something tell’s me life would of been different for you if your corner hadn’t gone against your wishes and intervened. For a few seconds, you may have won that defining fight in Manila without coming off your stool for the 15th round just like Ali did. The fact that you didn’t want to quit when Ali did tells me who really won that fight. Circumstance was you foil, not your opponent, and no doubt your star might have shined brighter, and you’ve gotten what you really deserved in life. Boxer isn’t enough to describe who you really were, you will always be boxing’s true gladiator. So long…

I love how Holmes took a shot at Ali in that segment, which was voiced by a few other of Ali’s opponents as well, namely Spinks, Norton and Chuvalo.

Sadly, I’ve read where Floyd Mayweather and Foreman have offered to pay for the funeral arrangements, hats off to them for the sentiment, though on the other hand imagining that it would come to having them do that is somewhat saddening.

They damn sure don’t fight like that anymore. Now those were FIGHTS! THAT was boxing to me.[/quote]

Remember when heavyweights used to fight like that? Instead of the lumbering, boring giants that bore you to death for 12 rounds now…[/quote]

A bit late to the discussion. I agree with this ^^

I’ve been watching Thrilla in Manilla and Rumble in the jumgle, and other Joe and Ali’s fights. These guys were still charging, punching, giving all they had in the 14th or 15th round.

Heavyweights of today are just evasive, lazy and fucking boring.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

I’ve been watching Thrilla in Manilla and Rumble in the jumgle, and other Joe and Ali’s fights. These guys were still charging, punching, giving all they had in the 14th or 15th round.

[/quote]

I love this girl.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[/quote]
yeah x2

I wish I could put my finger on it as to why?? For one, they were less concerned about fighter safety, and willing to put up with more abuse, 90% of those fights would of been stopped a long time before with today’s refereeing and ring side standards. Hard to imagine all the great rounds and moments we could of potentially missed if so.

Seems like a loss to a fighter back then was something really personal and devasting, now it seems like ‘oh well I lost, lemme collect my 7 figures, and go from here’

[quote]xXxJoKeRxXx wrote:
Seems like a loss to a fighter back then was something really personal and devasting, now it seems like ‘oh well I lost, lemme collect my 7 figures, and go from here’[/quote]

Yeap.

Seems to me it’s all about the dough these days…

RIP Smokin’ Joe.

Seems like a loss to a fighter back then was something really personal and devasting, now it seems like ‘oh well I lost, lemme collect my 7 figures, and go from here’[/quote]

It is actually the opposite.

Now, one loss is so devastating to a career that the fighters almost won’t deal with it.

Website and idiot posters start screaming about the fighter has been “exposed” and they’re garbage and this and that and their fans abandon them and it’s totally ridiculous.

Back in the day, you could lose a fight and people would understand it was a bad night. Now, it’s the end of a fighter’s career.

Things have changed, but it’s because the fan base is both less educated about the sport and more boisterous and loud on the internet. It’s an awful combination.

Now, one loss is so devastating to a career that the fighters almost won’t deal with it.

Website and idiot posters start screaming about the fighter has been “exposed” and they’re garbage and this and that and their fans abandon them and it’s totally ridiculous.

Back in the day, you could lose a fight and people would understand it was a bad night. Now, it’s the end of a fighter’s career.

Things have changed, but it’s because the fan base is both less educated about the sport and more boisterous and loud on the internet. It’s an awful combination.[/quote]

I wasn’t really talking about their career or other people’s judgement. I was talking about their own personal demons sort to speak. With virtually no money, pride and recognition was what most were fighting for back then. I don’t see that pride in some of today’s fighters really. I think it’s safe to say that some top 10 fighters care less than yesteryear since that payday tends to put a smile on their face win or lose (or at least their wife’s lol)

Things have changed, but it’s because the fan base is both less educated about the sport and more boisterous and loud on the internet. It’s an awful combination.[/quote]

I wasn’t really talking about their career or other people’s judgement. I was talking about their own personal demons sort to speak. With virtually no money, pride and recognition was what most were fighting for back then. I don’t see that pride in some of today’s fighters really. I think it’s safe to say that some top 10 fighters care less than yesteryear since that payday tends to put a smile on their face win or lose (or at least their wife’s lol)
[/quote]

I honestly do not think this true at all.

x2. Joker seems to have a very flowery view of the fighters of old.

[/quote]

I think that’s some total nostalgic bullshit.

Nobody would fight for a living if they didn’t make a shitload of money doing it.

Pride and recognition, who the fuck’s this guy think he’s kidding…Gotta love looking back through rose colored glasses.

[/quote]

I think that’s some total nostalgic bullshit.

Nobody would fight for a living if they didn’t make a shitload of money doing it.

Pride and recognition, who the fuck’s this guy think he’s kidding…Gotta love looking back through rose colored glasses.
[/quote]

well there is a reason the top fighters fought some 200 or more fights in their career, Sugar Ray Robinson and Willie Pep, and some of the top guys today maybe fight 50?? And not 15rds like they used to, or with as much referee or doctor interference.

Most top ranked fighters from years past barely made more money than say a doctor, today, top fighter can practically retire after 2-3 paydays if he wanted to.

No need to get nasty, you still sound a little butthurt…