T Nation

RIP Sergio

Does anyone wonder if he tore his left triceps? His left always looked significantly shorter and not as full at the elbow.

Pretty bummed about this. That profile shot of him with the pool cue is my favourite bodybuilding shot ever, and I’d rate him in the top 3 of all time. I believe he was a greater bodybuilder than his record would indicate.

He was the only person to defeat Arnold on the Olympia stage, wasn’t he?

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Does anyone wonder if he tore his left triceps? His left always looked significantly shorter and not as full at the elbow.[/quote]
I never really noticed it before, but I guess, yeah. I haven’t read anything particularly about it though.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
He was the only person to defeat Arnold on the Olympia stage, wasn’t he?[/quote]
Yep. Chet Yorton and Zane both beat Arnold in Mr. Universe contests, but Sergio beat him at the Olympia.

From a few years prior, not a problem that I can see. Might’ve just been something along the way as he got older.

It wasn’t a tear but he did injure his elbow and had tendonitis there.

That previous pic you posted was during the time he had stopped competing but was returning for a brief period. I remember seeing it for the first time…and being amazed that that is what he looked like over 50.

Man…look at him

Personally, I always thought that he had a superior physique to Arnold. If he wouldn’t have been banned, I think Arnold would have had a much harder time dominating like he did…

This man did NOT have a single short or average length muscle belly in his entire body! A true genetic blessing!

[quote]Egg Head wrote:
This man did NOT have a single short or average length muscle belly in his entire body! A true genetic blessing! [/quote]

Very true…like an earlier version of Paul Dillett. I remember Arnold making a comment about Sergio’s lack of biceps peak because he didn’t supinate enough. It was a bullshit comment because Sergio’s biceps were just longer, not less developed.

The guy was a myth, RIP.

[quote]Egg Head wrote:
This man did NOT have a single short or average length muscle belly in his entire body! A true genetic blessing! [/quote]

Very true…like an earlier version of Paul Dillett. I remember Arnold making a comment about Sergio’s lack of biceps peak because he didn’t supinate enough. It was a bullshit comment because Sergio’s biceps were just longer, not less developed.[/quote]

True.

When a BBer’s upper arm is the size of his head, nobody gives a shit about peaks anyway.

couchkevinlevronecough

RIP Sergio, you will be missed.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Egg Head wrote:

Very true…like an earlier version of Paul Dillett. I remember Arnold making a comment about Sergio’s lack of biceps peak because he didn’t supinate enough. It was a bullshit comment because Sergio’s biceps were just longer, not less developed.[/quote]

True.

When a BBer’s upper arm is the size of his head, nobody gives a shit about peaks anyway.

couchkevinlevronecough

[/quote]

Definately! I’d take Sergio’s arms over Arnolds in a heart beat! Screw the biceps peak, Sergio had more mass in his triceps than Arnold’s biceps and triceps combined! I remember Arthur Jones mentioning that Sergio’s UNpumped arm measurement was a legit 20"+. He also stated that Arnold’s true arm measurement was somewhere in the upper teens pumped!

Arthur measured Sergio’s arms at 20 1/8 cold (5’10’’, 233 lbs). Arthur was very strict when measuring, no diagonal, no slack, just straight tight measurement. So you can be sure they were at least 20 1/8, maybe much more if it would have been measured by someone else.

After Sergio went through Arthur Jones HIT, Arthur also said you will not find any pictures of Sergio prior to this HIT blitz that show Sergio with arms that are literally larger then his head (height between biceps’s peak and bottom of the triceps that is greater then the height of his face from chin to crown).

He also measured his forearms at 15 9/16.

As for comparison with others he also measured :

Ray Mentzer’s forearms at 15 9/16 (even with Sergio)
Casey Viator 15 7/16
Arnold 13 15/16
Franco 13 1/4

He measured Arnold’s arms in 70 at 19 1/2.

Eric

[quote]TT Eric wrote:
Arthur measured Sergio’s arms at 20 1/8 cold (5’10’’, 233 lbs). Arthur was very strict when measuring, no diagonal, no slack, just straight tight measurement. So you can be sure they were at least 20 1/8, maybe much more if it would have been measured by someone else.

After Sergio went through Arthur Jones HIT, Arthur also said you will not find any pictures of Sergio prior to this HIT blitz that show Sergio with arms that are literally larger then his head (height between biceps’s peak and bottom of the triceps that is greater then the height of his face from chin to crown).

Casey Viator 15 7/16
Arnold 13 15/16
Franco 13 1/4

Eric[/quote]

These are the stats I remembered as being illustrated in Arthur Jones’ Nautilus Book. The Mentzer brothers, though not on par with Sergio, also had mostly long muscle bellies with particularly long triceps and forearm muscles. Casey Viator also had renowned forearms.

[quote]Egg Head wrote:

[quote]TT Eric wrote:

Casey Viator 15 7/16
Arnold 13 15/16
Franco 13 1/4

Eric[/quote]

These are the stats I remembered as being illustrated in Arthur Jones’ Nautilus Book. The Mentzer brothers, though not on par with Sergio, also had mostly long muscle bellies with particularly long triceps and forearm muscles. Casey Viator also had renowned forearms.[/quote]

Oliva, Mentzer and Viator were the forearm freaks of the 70’s.

[quote]TT Eric wrote:
… you will not find any pictures of Sergio prior to this HIT blitz that show Sergio with arms that are literally larger then his head (height between biceps’s peak and bottom of the triceps that is greater then the height of his face from chin to crown).[/quote]
I believe it.

The first man I saw on muscle magazines when I was only a kid who looked as a real Marvel comics superhero!

Rest in peace Sergio … I hope you can keep training in Paradise!

12 yrs ago when my middle son was born I named him Sergio, I wrote a letter to the Myth and sent him a pic of my newborn son, he in turn sent a pic back of the Victory Pose autographed and included a personal note. He was a nice man and a sight to behold he will be missed. RIP

In a past thread, there was some discussion going on about how Arnold may have turned out if he had today’s supps and science at his disposal. It made for an interesting discussion.

Now imagine Sergio if he were coming up today! He was already so far ahead of his time, I’ll bet he could have been better than Ronnie Coleman.