T Nation

RIP Levon Helm of The Band

Taken too early.

The Band was, for me, the tightest and most creative “backup” band I have ever had the pleasure of hearing and seeing. They grew so far beyond being Ronnie Hawkin’s and Bob Dylan’s backup. Their songs were heartfelt and masterful.

I also immensely enjoyed Levon’s performance in “Coal-Miner’s Daughter.”

He will be missed.

RIP

Damn.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

Taken too early.

The Band was, for me, the tightest and most creative “backup” band I have ever had the pleasure of hearing and seeing. They grew so far beyond being Ronnie Hawkin’s and Bob Dylan’s backup. Their songs were heartfelt and masterful.

I also immensely enjoyed Levon’s performance in “Coal-Miner’s Daughter.”

He will be missed.
[/quote]

that sucks

The band was awesome.

Bummer. I like them.

This was my dads favorite band. He asked me once randomly to play The Last Waltz at his funeral when we were driving across Texas. I was in the 7th grade, and it was kind of said in passing. He never mentioned it again throughout the years, and I don’t remember bringing it back up. He died 12 years later. Don’t remember a lot about my dad, but I never forgot that. The Last Waltz was on repeat at his wake, and he wouldn’t have had another band play him out.

Those 5 funky Canadian white boys played Southern Rock’n’roll better than just about anyone else who’s ever done it. Hope people realize how truly good they are, and how influential Helm was and will continue to be. He’ll be missed.

I saw The Band for a second time, in June 1970, when they performed as part of the Festival Express. Here is a description from Wikipedia:

"Festival Express was staged in three Canadian cities: Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary, during the summer of 1970. Rather than flying in to each city, the musicians traveled by chartered train… The train journey between cities ultimately became a combination of non-stop jam sessions and partying, fueled by alcohol.

On the way to Winnipeg, the second stop on the tour, the train stopped in Chapleau, Ontario, to replenish its dwindling alcohol supply, buying out the entire stock of a small liquor store."

Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead and The Band were amongst the headliners.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

I saw The Band for a second time, in June 1970, when they performed as part of the Festival Express. Here is a description from Wikipedia:

"Festival Express was staged in three Canadian cities: Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary, during the summer of 1970. Rather than flying in to each city, the musicians traveled by chartered train… The train journey between cities ultimately became a combination of non-stop jam sessions and partying, fueled by alcohol.

On the way to Winnipeg, the second stop on the tour, the train stopped in Chapleau, Ontario, to replenish its dwindling alcohol supply, buying out the entire stock of a small liquor store."

Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead and The Band were amongst the headliners.[/quote]

Damn, I thought I was old.