T Nation

RIP - Kurt Vonnegut

One of the greatest American (U.S.) writers has just passed away.

His books – and their occasional poorly drawn pictures – made me think and laugh. A rare combination.

When I was in the Peace Corps there was often little to do at night except read. Would ration out pages of his book–savoring it so I’d have something to look forward to the next day.
He definitely added somthing to the collective pot.

And there was that Chris Rock song too…remember “Always wear sunscreen”
RIP-Kurt. We’ll try to sip some lemonade on a sunny day and recognize that this is nice

I believe a re-reading of “Hocus Pocus” tonight is in order. What I need to get is Slaughterhouse-Five, I have been meaning to read that for years but have not gotten around to it yet.

RIP indeed…

Vonnegut was one of my favorite High School Book authors. I remember reading Orwell’s and Vonnegut’s years ago, but frequently referencing them and reminded of them alot.

I’m going to go re-read an anthology book of his I have.

Vonnegut got me through one of my college literary classes. His was the only book out of the bunch I really enjoyed. It was Slaughterhouse-Five.

Since then I’ve read several others and have enjoyed them all. Loved his writing style. He will be missed.

[quote]lesotho72 wrote:
RIP-Kurt. We’ll try to sip some lemonade on a sunny day and recognize that this is nice[/quote]

Chris Rock had nothing to do with the song:

http://www.bondon.com/sunscreen_song.html

And Kurt had nothing to do with the speech:

http://www.wesselenyi.com/Mary.htm

I do, however, accompany you in the sadness of his death. Not that many thinkers are growing up to replace the current crop.

Really liked this guy.

Slaughterhouse Five. Loved the book, hated the movie.

Reading “Breakfast of Champions” at age 12 really changed my life, opened me up to how writing really could be. I like to think he is somewhere in another universe about to steal a mirror (Kilgore Trout)-Jules

All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I’ve said before, bugs in amber.
Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse V
US novelist (1922 -2007 )

He was a pretty solid dude too. He lived in my area, and I used to go skateboarding with his grandson. When we were trying to raise money for a skatepark to be built in our town, he donated some of his own original artwork to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going towards our park.

So it goes…

[quote]mundele wrote:
He was a pretty solid dude too. He lived in my area, and I used to go skateboarding with his grandson. When we were trying to raise money for a skatepark to be built in our town, he donated some of his own original artwork to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going towards our park.[/quote]

That’s a cool story; I love hearing stuff like that.

I always think of Rodney hiring Vonnegut to tutor his son in “Back to School” whenever I see his name mentioned. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_daXRkOH0

So it goes.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
So it goes…[/quote]

Nice!

It’s too bad. He was a brilliant writer, probably my favorite. Every time I use a public restroom I think about the corkscrew-shaped things that are waiting to crawl up my asshole, which looks like the above picture.

He was a man.

[quote]lesotho72 wrote:
One of the greatest American (U.S.) writers has just passed away.

His books – and their occasional poorly drawn pictures – made me think and laugh. A rare combination.

When I was in the Peace Corps there was often little to do at night except read. Would ration out pages of his book–savoring it so I’d have something to look forward to the next day.
He definitely added somthing to the collective pot.

RIP-Kurt. We’ll try to sip some lemonade on a sunny day and recognize that this is nice[/quote]

Hunter S.
Kurt V.

The greats of our generation have passed.

RIP Kurt - A true man.

In memoriam.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”

Sigh…I had a shitty night and came home to a pal of mine dropping this bombshell in my lap. Were I a Bokononist, I’d swear that Vonnegut was on my ‘team.’

R.I.P Kurt

Kurt was a great man, the best living writer. His death makes me sad, wets my eyes. And so it goes.

How could he have died- the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously.

RIP - great author.