RIP GInger

Respects…

very sad, sorry about your pet. Mine is pushing 13.

I know how you feel. My two labs are lying under the apple tree. They did love to steal them…

(I hope that did not come across as some perverted from of punishment.)

Sorry to hear that mate. I klnow it’s a cliche but not a lot of things will ever come close to that bond between man and dog

I’ve just taken mine for major knee surgery and it’s difficult to watch him sit there all day, depressed and catching a dose of cabin fever. I can’t begin to imagine how you feel right now.

Hey ID,

I’m really sorry man. I’m glad that you didn’t postpone the inevitable and make Ginger suffer unnecessarily, but I know that the loss of a pet is never an easy thing. I think most of us here can relate to that particular pain.

All the Best,
Boogie

Sorry ID

So sorry for your loss. Pets are a big part of the family. I too had a “min-pin” named Killer that had to be put down several years ago. He was the best dog that I ever had. I still think about him from time to time and it always puts a big smile on my face.

Aw, very sorry, ID.

I’m really sorry man. Try to focus on the positive memories you shared with her.

Dogs have a special place in the hearts of men. The strongest of us weep when they are gone. Loyalty of a dog cannot compare to anything else we have on earth. This is a bench mark we can use to measure true friendship.
If you can trust a friend as much as you trust your dog, he is a good friend.
Take solace in the fact you were his friend for all those years. Dogs ask for very little. A little food. A little attention. A place to sleep. For this they give us unlimited quantities of love.
They have only one fault. They live too short a life. My condolences.

Thanks everyone for your condolences, insights, reassuring words, and other relevant tidbits!
I knew many here on T-Nation would understand this - even when I didn’t - until it happened.

Thanks again, friends!

I’m really thanking my lucky stars right now… my girl almost choked to death this morning on chicken jerky.

I was moments away from being like you, man, and it was the worst feeling in the world. I just couldn’t get it out of her throat… she started blacking out and finally it came out enough where I was able to pull it out of her throat. She was making the most awful noises I have ever heard. I don’t know how she made it… it was 10 minutes of me trying to do the Heimlich on her and having it fail.

When it was over… the first thing she did was lick my face. She is amazing.

I’m taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning… I’m afraid I may have hurt her ribs trying to save her. It’s been 3 hours now and I still feel like throwing up!

I don’t really want to think about what it’ll be like for me when this happens; I have seven dogs.

I’ve always liked this quote:

[i]Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.

• Agnes Sligh[/i]

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Totally came in to this thread thinking this kid

or something other half-famous, soulless ginger passed away.[/quote]

easy fucker - you’re getting a leetel beet personal here…

Sorry ID…when you move to Balmore you can meet Rex.

My condolences, ID.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
I’m really thanking my lucky stars right now… my girl almost choked to death this morning on chicken jerky.

I was moments away from being like you, man, and it was the worst feeling in the world. I just couldn’t get it out of her throat… she started blacking out and finally it came out enough where I was able to pull it out of her throat. She was making the most awful noises I have ever heard. I don’t know how she made it… it was 10 minutes of me trying to do the Heimlich on her and having it fail.

I’m taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning… I’m afraid I may have hurt her ribs trying to save her. It’s been 3 hours now and I still feel like throwing up![/quote]

Ah shit, that was quite hard to read.

Hope she’s okay now.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

I’m taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning… I’m afraid I may have hurt her ribs trying to save her. It’s been 3 hours now and I still feel like throwing up![/quote]

Ah shit, that was quite hard to read.

Hope she’s okay now.
[/quote]

X2!!

It’s a good thing you were present to help her!

[quote]sen say wrote:
Sorry ID…when you move to Balmore you can meet Rex.[/quote]

Aw! He looks like such a nice boy! :slight_smile:

ID I’m very sorry for your loss bud. 15 years is a good long haul and you can count your blessings on all fingers and toes that you had a good girl for that amount of time.

In regards to you potentially getting another pup to love and become part of the family, I’d like you to meet Betty.

Betty came into our house last March, about 5 months after I lost my Husky of ten years to cancer. She’s turning a year this month, some sort of Pitbull-lab-boxer-etc.

She’s fast as fuck, loyal to the bone, herds my two year old when he’s finding trouble, and stoicly accepts his pushes, pulls, divebombs from the couch and ear tugging with licks and tail wags.

She’s “on the job” all day keeping tabs on whatever she keeps tabs on, then in the evening she stands guard over her people, checking in on everyone and obeying commands as if she’s much older than a year. At 70 lbs (she’s about 60 in this pic) she pulls my big ass on a bicycle and pounces on logs of tossed firewood like a crazed wolf on a carribou.

My Husky had a name, but I always called her “sis.” When she left us, I wasn’t sure I’d ever love another dog like I loved her. She, like cyrusseven-75’s boy cyrus, was with me through tons of shit, a marriage and the arrival of my son.

As good and as necessary as Betty is for my family, she’ll never be “Sis.” There’s days where I’d offer 10 Betty’s to grab two fistfulls of that fucking moody, entitled, high maintenance drama queen of a snow dogs’ neck fur and touch her forehead to mine for 10 seconds. And then I feel guilty, and I hug Betty and let her know she’s ours and she’s safe and has a home till she too has to go.

Dogs don’t get the backstory, and we don’t deserve to impress our backstory upon them. I hope when you’re ready you’ll find a pup that doesn’t fill the void (no dog can do that), but instead opens up a whole new piece of life that you’ll all enjoy.