RIP Gary Moore

I started listening to GM (Run For Cover) in '85 after Phil L. had passed away…

He made some of the best “guitar faces” i’ve ever seen.

RIP

I do love the original(Roy Buchanan wrote it) but Gary’s version is sweet too

The Messiah will come again

Doh!

[quote]majik wrote:
^ I always knew of this song because of this cover. [/quote]

Nightwish covered G.M. as well:

as a teenager i pretty much only listened to metal…and a cassette of “blues alive” my dad leant to me and i never gave back. That album, and Gary i general kick all kinds of ass

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
“Still got the blues”, Gary’s most famous song was kinda stolen.
So let me take a shameless leak on the tombstone, while listening to the original:

[/quote]

Pull your zipper up. Jud’s Gallery’s biggest claim to fame is suing G.M for ripping off a single blues riff that they probably stole from Albert King or Muddy Waters, anyway.

Blues developed through the sharing of ideas, if they’d tryed to legally rubber dick each other from the start there’d be nothing.

I’ve done my research and G.M. is supposed to have plagiarized a guitar solo as well as the riff, but to be honest I didn’t have the aural stamina to listen to the song long enough to get to the solo.

Either way, Gary Moore’s epitaph will not be “that guy who ripped off Jud’s Gallery”. Shit, even Iron Butterfly far surpasses them in the ‘ridiculously long psychedelic blues-rock one hit wonder’ department. A song so long that they produced a sequel…And I love me some Iron Butterfly.

They even motivated a serial killer (Dennis Wayne Wallace). But then Jud’s Gallery makes me want to kill someone as well.

More Moore to clear the palette.

[quote]roybot wrote:

So let me take a shameless leak on the tombstone, while listening to the original:

[/quote]

Pull your zipper up. Jud’s Gallery’s biggest claim to fame is suing G.M for ripping off a single blues riff that they probably stole from Albert King or Muddy Waters, anyway.

Blues developed through the sharing of ideas, if they’d tryed to legally rubber dick each other from the start there’d be nothing.

I’ve done my research and G.M. is supposed to have plagiarized a guitar solo as well as the riff, but to be honest I didn’t have the aural stamina to listen to the song long enough to get to the solo.

Either way, Gary Moore’s epitaph will not be “that guy who ripped off Jud’s Gallery”. Shit, even Iron Butterfly far surpasses them in the ‘ridiculously long psychedelic blues-rock one hit wonder’ department. A song so long that they produced a sequel…And I love me some Iron Butterfly.

[…]
[/quote]
Fine, zip, my qualmy bladder was reluctant anyway.
Thing is:I wouldn’t have posted if Gary Moore’s sound seemed more then that one riff.
Truly, I’ve probably heard 20+ times someone mention him just like that: "ah yes, Gary Moore, and I still got the bluuues ".
It seems just wrong to me if his Opus Magnum is borrowed, stolen, however you spell it.
He could have at least admitted it instead of straight-faced lying, for the evidence is ridiculously good.

Gonna check out that Iron Butterfly.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[/quote]

[…]
[/quote]
Thing is:I wouldn’t have posted if Gary Moore’s sound seemed more then that one riff.
Truly, I’ve probably heard 20+ times someone mention him just like that: "ah yes, Gary Moore, and I still got the bluuues ".
It seems just wrong to me if his Opus Magnum is borrowed, stolen, however you spell it.
He could have at least admitted it instead of straight-faced lying, for the evidence is ridiculously good.

Gonna check out that Iron Butterfly.
[/quote]

What song are YOU known for?

[/quote]

Are these the same the same 20+ people with the mental fortitude to listen to Jud’s Gallery over and over again? G.M. said that he didn’t steal from that song. He settled the lawsuit and maintained he’d never heard it (I believe that because I couldn’t make it to the end). The evidence is not “ridiculously good” because he settled the suit and moved on. Jud’s gallery disappeared however, and they can thank him for the biggest earnings of their career. They can also thank whoever they ripped that (now) standard blues riff of for not suing them and putting music ahead of money like they did.

They didn’t bankrupt Gary Moore either, so it’s safe to say that Jud’s Gallery did not make or break his career.

Lol @ Gary Moore’s sound being no more than “that one riff” - Majik posted a cover by Sonata Arctica and I posted one by Nightwish. Neither of which are blues bands. Proof that GM’s sound and song writing transcends genres.

Anybody covered Jud’s Gallery?

Edit: I’ve just listened to the solo - it’s just a slower, louder version of the main riff.