RIP Dave Brubeck

Some fun facts:

• Brubeck’s mother was a musician, and his father was a cowboy who was disappointed his son didn’t follow in his footsteps.

• At the conservatory where he studied, one of his teachers found out that he couldn’t read music and wanted to boot him from the school. Other teachers protested, saying that Brubeck wrote better counterpoint than anyone else.

• He originally intended on pursuing a career in classical music, but a teacher convinced him his strength was jazz.

• Thanks to the commanding officer who heard Brubeck accompany the traveling Red Cross band and told an aide that he didn’t want Brubeck to go to the front. If not for him, a great musician might have died at the Battle of the Bulge.

the first real song I learned to drum! Dave Brubeck was a great artist

That’s one of my top 10 favorite jazz pieces of all time, Brownie!

RiP Dave.

I saw him live in Sacramento a couple of years ago. He was older than dirt, but still played amazingly.

Bestest Brubeck piece EVA:

ANd in his case that means something

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
the first real song I learned to drum! Dave Brubeck was a great artist

Oh crap, I love that song. I never knew who played it though. Always sad to see a great musician leave this world.

Damn didn’t know people on here listened to Jazz. Cool.

I was listening to Brubeck last week. Sad but he was old.

yeah man, he was old. I assumed he was already dead.

Some of he only jazz I’ll listen to (not a huge fan), RIP DAve

do you guys have any good jazz recommendations? I admittedly don’t listen to much of it and felt very cool when I was able to comment in this thread.

-Instrumentals-

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

John Coltrane - Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things

Charlie Parker - pick up any best of collection

Dexter Gordon - Go

Red Garland Quartet - The Best of…

Wes Montgomery - pick up any best of collection

-Vocals-

Sarah Vaughan - Ultimate Sarah Vaughan (Sarah is THE best female vocalist ever, IMHO)

Ella Fitzgerald - pick up any best of collection

Steve Lawrence - pick up any best of collection (Steve is in many ways better than Sinatra. Such finesse!)

much appreciated ID! I haven’t listened to any of that besides Miles Davis. I’ll give them all a try tomorrow while studying : )

sorry about all the short jokes I made and will make

much appreciated ID! I haven’t listened to any of that besides Miles Davis. I’ll give them all a try tomorrow while studying : )

sorry about all the short jokes I made and will make[/quote]

I enjoy the jokes. Keep at 'em!
I would have called myself Iron Giant if I was insecure about my height!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I would have called myself Iron Giant if I was insecure about my height![/quote]
very true

I think that by poking fun at your height, you’re compensating for your large dick

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
That’s one of my top 10 favorite jazz pieces of all time, Brownie![/quote]

Same here…One of the first pieces named after a time signature…

My full name here was supposed to be:
Strange Meadow Lark
But I wasn’t allowed enough characters…
And now this awfulness. Saw him a few years ago at an amphitheater outside of Chicago, Ravinia. It was great.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I would have called myself Iron Giant if I was insecure about my height![/quote]
very true

I think that by poking fun at your height, you’re compensating for your large dick[/quote]

It’s average but only looks large next to these short legs.

Been foolin’ the wife for over 26 years!

lol

do you guys have any good jazz recommendations? I admittedly don’t listen to much of it and felt very cool when I was able to comment in this thread.[/quote]

I am no jazz expert at all and havent heard all that much, but I feel obligated to mention the great jazz fusion band Weather report.

Ps. Thanks for uploading that brubeck tune. I have heard it many times and like it alot, but did not know he made it or that he even existed.