T Nation

RIP Charles Poliquin

No no, was genuinely interested if anyone could think of a more influential S&C coach than King Charles.

Fred Hatfield was a good shout. Another tragic loss.

2 Likes

RIP , condoléances a la famille .

1 Like

All you said is true and meaningful. However, he leaves a daughter behind. One can sure live a full life and pass away relatively early, but his young daughter will live fatherless for the rest of her life.

Wait what? shit.

I apologise if I came off as disrespectful, that was not my intention. I was answering the question posed by another user which was if AAS has anything to do with his death.

I actually have a thread on that exact topic that I created a while back

Wow, that’s sad. RIP Charlies Poliquin, my condolences to the family and friends

Wait, what the hell just happened, this wasn’t where I posted this, what happened to my original post? I must’ve re-written it accidentally, dammit, here’s the original post

how old is the daughter? Still its a shame for the daughterand potentially his wife (or husband) (did he have asignificant other)? I don’t tend to look up peoples personallives (celebrities and such, I feel these people getbombarded with constant paparazzi and people prying intotheir personal lives, and I dont want to contribute to thisfashion as these people should be able to have privacy andbasic human rights, that being said that is a totally differentdebate for a different conversation)

1 Like

Guys, talking steroids in this thread isn’t necessary or appropriate. It’s best not continue that down that line here. A new thread is where any heart-AAS discussions should take place, not in a memorial thread.

It is being reported that he died of a heart attack. Heart attacks run in his family, I believe one or more of his brothers had them and Poliquin had a series of heart attacks in his 30s, which is why he became an advocate of magnesium.

1 Like

Unfortunately, yeah. In May of last year.

She’s still in high school.

Crap. I never had better gains or hated life more than running his 80 day powerlifting cycle.
/end hijack

1 Like

I have to add to my earlier comments: I have probably spent a fortune on supplements from following Poliquin. I have mega-dosed fish oil, consumed 40g BCAA and 20g glutamine intra-WO, etc, I even gave the meat and nuts breakfast an extended run - which was a major event for me considering I have done IF for years. I followed his training split for a while and, of course, took on GVT and GBC more than once. I also sought out ART for an injury, based on his (and others on TNation) advice. I also read various books, articles and was listening to some of his podcasts up until very recently.

I don’t think his contribution to the iron game can be understated. I do think Charles Poliquin’s biggest fan was Charles Poliquin and, at times, especially more recently, I felt he was coming across as a bit insecure. The selling off of his company, etc, was a bit weird and he was popping up instead in very odd and obscure places.

He reminds me a bit of José Mourinho now: a very driven individual but incredibly egocentric - often to their own detriment. When Poliquin decided upon something that was it and everyone else was wrong. Worse, you were likely to come in for personal attack. I listened to him recently being interviewed on some obscure Eastern European podcast. He was asked his opinion on IF - “it’s bullshit” was the reply. No studies back it up, blah, blah. Of course, how could you ever concede the efficacy of IF when one of the Poliquin pillars is the meat and nut breakfast? As his prodigal son Nick Mitchell is fond of shouting: “breakfast is non-negotiable”!! And when his own methods were not backed up by science, the argument was now: “science is years behind what happens in the trenches”.

I hope this post isn’t misconstrued as a pop at someone now deceased. As I stated, he was a huge influence on me personally and, just like my José Mourinho comparison, I regard him in the genius category. When I think of Poliquin that is the type of stuff that gushes out. And that seems to sum up the affect he had on people.

4 Likes

Wow… Nobody had a bigger influence on me as a lifter than Mr. Poliquin. When anybody has ever asked me for advice, I steer them towards anything Poliquin and Waterbury wrote. Beyond, what those guys have said, I have nothing to add, especially for advanced lifters. I still use his techniques and won’t stop because they work. He’s part of why I stopped posting in the lifting forums. What am I going to tell somebody that Poliquin hasn’t already said a million times? What is somebody going to tell me that I haven’t already read about?

Brilliant man!
God Bless him and may he rest in peace.

Very sad to hear. Condolences to his family.

I agree it’s not appropriate to, even if tempting, to speculate on the cause of death, when all know is what was stated which was a heart attack.
There are many heart conditions that are not detectable from standard check up’s or tests.
It’s very possible he was healthy as horse, one day and have a fatal heart attack. He was a young guy. And the world lost a genius.

Those of you who are not familiar with his work, read everything you can of what he wrote. You cannot go wrong and you will make gains if you follow his advice.
I am sad he’s gone. He’s forgotten more about training than most of us will ever know.
Don’t get me wrong, there are many good coaches, but Charles Poloquin changed the game. He invented many of the techniques a lot of coaches recommend now. He was years ahead of his time and he took some crap for it. But he stood his ground and his principles have gone on and become standards in the industry, he got results.
I wish I could unlock everything he knew. I am certain he still had some gems left.

1 Like

Not to start a whole thing but, why should the cause not be discussed? It has been done with every wrestler, bodybuilder, etc. that has died. Steroids has never been the initial reported cause but, it was talked about and allowed. Dallas Mccarver was first thought to have died from choking but, people still went on about all the shit he was on.

Because it’s disrespectful rumor-mongering that’s in poor taste and has no place in a thread memorializing a literal legend in the field. Take it to another thread, like Unreal said is already around.

GVT, his intense calf routines, the one-day arm cure, his 49 different Question of Strength articles on the site, Biosig… there are plenty of things to discuss about Poliquin that don’t involve anything like “maybe he did something and it contributed to something” gossip. So, yeah, it’s not the place.

EDIT, because it’s stuck in my craw: Don’t overlook the fact that the man actually worked here for years, starting from Day One. He was the first coach to write for T Nation and played a none-too-small role in setting the ground for what it was and what it’s become. So, sure, I’m going go to say that in this house he’s given more respect than any wrestler, bodybuilder, or whoever.

9 Likes

Which is just as it should be. This is very much his house, as he played a big part in building it.

2 Likes

What did Charles Poliquin do for GVT? I actually totally forgot about german volume training, it’s like… super difficult, the DOMS from doing legs GVT style… my god… it really is just the worst (GVT), but it works, maybe not as bad as 20 rep squats, but I’ve never done those. I’ll be honest and say I’m not well versed on Charles Poliquin’s writings, I’ll do some reading.

Which he deserves. I was there in the begining, I was seldom left gobsmacked over training articles. This guy came up with stuff, backed it up with why it usually works, then I try it and it’s every thing he said it was.

He’s a legend in my book. I got way stronger then I thought I could using his principles. What’s more is all this information was free.

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear. Condolences to his family and friends. I’m familiar with some of his writings but in any case sad to hear regardless and much worse knowing he has a young child.

1 Like

He totally re-popularized it and pulled people’s attention towards it for muscle-building. It started with weightlifting coaches in the 1970s (unrelated to Vince Gironda’s work with similar volume) but Poliquin brought GVT back into the spotlight in the mid-to-late '90s.