T Nation

RIP Big Tex

Big Tex of the State Fair of Texas burned down today

It’s basically the worst thing that’s ever happened anywhere. I was planning to go Sunday, don’t know if I will anymore. A few of my friends were there, they got some pretty good cell phone vids of it.

For those of you not familiar with Big Tex, he is an icon of the Texas state fair. He’s a giant mechanical cowboy that’s in the middle of the fair, and has been there for 60+ years. His arm waves. Basically a Dallas/Texas legend. I must have seen literally 100+ facebook posts on my newsfeed today about this.

I bet bullying caused Big Tex to resort to self-immolation.

Tribute

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
Tribute

LOL. Is this a joke?

Burning Man for rednecks.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
It’s basically the worst thing that’s ever happened anywhere. I was planning to go Sunday, don’t know if I will anymore. A few of my friends were there, they got some pretty good cell phone vids of it.

For those of you not familiar with Big Tex, he is an icon of the Texas state fair. He’s a giant mechanical cowboy that’s in the middle of the fair, and has been there for 60+ years. His arm waves. Basically a Dallas/Texas legend. I must have seen literally 100+ facebook posts on my newsfeed today about this.[/quote]

Yeah, mine too.(facebook). The news said it was the #1 trending ‘thing’ on twotter in the U.S. of A. ‘I call it twotting’. Anyways, they said it will be re-built by next year. Bigger, Stronger, and Faster of course

This actually kind of bums me out a bit. My kid never got to see him. I know they will rebuild, but it still bums me a little.

basically how I imagine things happening

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

For those of you not familiar with Big Tex, he is an icon of the Texas state fair. He’s a giant mechanical cowboy that’s in the middle of the fair, and has been there for 60+ years. His arm waves. Basically a Dallas/Texas legend. I must have seen literally 100+ facebook posts on my newsfeed today about this.[/quote]

I was just about to post saying that my Facebook News Feed was blowing up like I’ve never seen it, with the majority of the posts involving this. Lots of pretty iconic looking shots.

Every Texan loved Big Tex. They’ll build him back, bigger and better.

And then a bunch of haters will come out and complain that he’s not 100% exactly like the first Big Tex was, yadda yadda.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
I bet bullying caused Big Tex to resort to self-immolation.[/quote]

Ironically (or not?), he fanned the flames of his own demise.

The State Fair of Texas had a rough day today. The Stratosphere ride got stuck 200 ft in the air for hrs

Sounds like a fuckin’ world vision ad.

I’m not even from Texas and this is fucking depressing.

CS