T Nation

Ringing In the Ear?

I think this might be a serious problem cinsidering this has been a problem for about 4-5 months now. I was wondering if this is permenant and waht can I do to make it stop? Am I going deaf?

When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked? It might be time for a visit to your doctor.

Sounds like you might have tinnitus. I had it for about 6 months after going shooting one day with no ear protection. Considering all the concerts I go to, and the length of time I'm exposed to loudness(I work in a machine shop, been a drummer for 13 years)I'm amazed it finally went away.

I talked to a lot of people when I had it and most say it eventually goes away. When seems to vary from 6 months to years. I was lucky I guess. I know it's really annoying to deal with but there isn't much you can do about it.

I went to the doctor and they did a bunch of tests, timbre and such, and all they told me is I had tinnitus, there's nothing they can do about it, and there was no permanent damage to my ear drum.

Tinnitus is scary stuff. Try taking a break from stimulants, reduce stress, do cardio, take your fish oil, etc. Some types of nootropic supplements might be helpful, but I'm not an expert there. Anything that gets blood from your heart to your ears should help, so yes, blood pressure is an important factor.

And, of course, stay away from loud music, or actually any loud sound for extended time. Even things that are only sound a little bit loud can end up doing damage if you're exposed to it for hours. But if you've had it for 5 months, it's certainly bad news.

Some of it just comes with age. Those little hairs in your ears simply aren't going to last forever, not without miracle stem cell cures that we probably won't ever see due to politics...

You should still see a doctor. My tinnitus sounded like a CRT monitor, so high that most adults can't even hear at that frequency. It eventually either went away or the brain figured out how to tune it out. My hearing certainly isn't as good as it used to be, but with all the noise exposure I've had, I'm surprised it's as good as it is.

I was thinking tinnitus, too. I had this issue last year for several months. I also had all the tests done and everything came back normal and they said I had tinnitus. There's no permanent cure for it.

Try reducing the amount of salt in your diet and reduce stress. Those seemed to work best for me. I know it's hard to do but try to not focus on the ringing if it's not too loud.

Still, I would see a doctor and get some general tests done just to rule anything else out.

Thanks guys Ill defintley seek medical attention and reduce my stress but im a bit skeptical as to how my diet has anything to do with my hearing problem.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I have it in one ear. I have had it for as long as I can remember. I still pass all my hearing tests with flying colors.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.