Ring Work, Levers, and Holds

THANKS COACH!!

If performing 2 strength movements and the 100 dips and rows in each rows. How would you add in lever training. I plan on beginning with the chest roll lever for holds. Can this be performed along with the work stated above in the same workout or is that too much?

Hi CT,

Had my first week of playing around with these. Getting some great lat stimulation from the lever chest roll. Do you have any other assistance exercises for the front lever you used before that stimulated the back well i.e. pull up- icecream maker. My idea behind this is to use these assistance exercises to gain muscle and learn to develop whole body tension during the process of learning the front lever, the front lever will in effect be a bonus result of the training.

Thanks again ct

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

Had my first week of playing around with these. Getting some great lat stimulation from the lever chest roll. Do you have any other assistance exercises for the front lever you used before that stimulated the back well i.e. pull up- icecream maker. My idea behind this is to use these assistance exercises to gain muscle and learn to develop whole body tension during the process of learning the front lever, the front lever will in effect be a bonus result of the training.

Thanks again ct[/quote]

The ice-cream maker should only be done once you are fairly close to being able to do a full lever. Ring rows and ring pull-ups trying to keep the body angled back are good exercises to use. But really, from experience the key is just to practice the lever if you want to improve on it.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:
brutal![/quote]

Not really, unless you are very weak. If you cannot get at least 10-12 ring dips and rows in a set, you’ll have to adjust the target downwards.[/quote]
and that not affect to the main exercise of the next day that involves the triceps for example?[/quote]

It hasn’t hurt me. It might the first week, but the body adapts. [/quote]

@CT:

When you are doing ring dips, I’m assuming there is no kipping.

So, where are you placing your feet? Forward or behind?

Is it a hollow body position at top of dip?

Or are the feet behind as in a bar dip?

Thanks!
Muts

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:
brutal![/quote]

Not really, unless you are very weak. If you cannot get at least 10-12 ring dips and rows in a set, you’ll have to adjust the target downwards.[/quote]
and that not affect to the main exercise of the next day that involves the triceps for example?[/quote]

It hasn’t hurt me. It might the first week, but the body adapts. [/quote]

@CT:

When you are doing ring dips, I’m assuming there is no kipping.

So, where are you placing your feet? Forward or behind?

Is it a hollow body position at top of dip?

Or are the feet behind as in a bar dip?

Thanks!
Muts[/quote]

I actually tried kipping dips and I’m worse than if I stay strict. If I’m at Biotest’s HQ where the rings are fairly high and I can keep a straight body, I keep the legs slightly in front.

At home my rings are lower and I have to the bend the knees. The knees are a bit forward of the shoulders and the feet a bit behind the shoulders.

yo ring dips are the shit!

CT have you tried double unders? I thought they were stupid as f*ck at first but then I got a special-type jump rope from Rogue Fitness and doing double unders are really awesome IMO.

Just bought the rings in the link below…

Something to add to the list.

@CT: Your time over the past many years spent answering questions is to be commended. Cheers,

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
yo ring dips are the shit!

CT have you tried double unders? I thought they were stupid as f*ck at first but then I got a special-type jump rope from Rogue Fitness and doing double unders are really awesome IMO.[/quote]

Yes, you do have to have a speed rope for them. I’m still not good (better than my wife :wink: ) butI actually like them as a warm-up.

How about doing ring flies with straight arms? Is it save if you’re strong enough to prevent elbows hyperextension? I’m trying to master this exerciese and I really like its shoulder stabilization requirement. Do You like this exercise?

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
How about doing ring flies with straight arms? Is it save if you’re strong enough to prevent elbows hyperextension? I’m trying to master this exerciese and I really like its shoulder stabilization requirement. Do You like this exercise?[/quote]

It killed my right elbow and was problematic for 2 years. And it’s not like I had strength of stabilization problems in the past. I personally would not recommend this exercise; one thing I learned is that movement like the iron cross, straight-arms ring flies and maltese training are very hard on the elbow joint and require years of gradual structural build-up and tendon strengthening if they are to be done safely.

I do not want to talk too much about rings as it is not my speciality and not something that is a big part of my training.