Ring Training

Just wanted to show that you can put 2x4s any distance apart for dips, even slant them, and do some other neat setups-although that reverse hyper setup was a pain.

EliteFTS.com has something very similar to the rings. They are called Blast Straps. At $55 thay are considerably less expensive than the rings.

I think one could make something fairly easily, and use the handles at the gym and attach with a carabiner (look at the Blast Straps)

LA

mertdawg,

That setup looks awesome! (finally a good use for those Total Gym 1000’s eh? LOL…I shouldn’t have sold mine) (also, when you’re doing dips on the 2x4’s…do you put them on their ends? (or do you just have huge hands to grab the boards?)

As to Joe’s comment about them being too far apart, I have my bars rigged so that it ends up being shoulder width apart…

My bad, in any case, I like the instability offered by the rings, and now I’ve got them, it seems a shame not to use them.

Cheers for the info though.

The blast straps really look very interesting. A little bit more affordable, too!! I would think that you could do all the same exercises with the straps, right? Anyone got some favs??
Worker

My friend has a pair from ringtraining, i have used them and think they are cool.
I did not have the cash at that time, so i had my own made at a local metal shop.
They cost me ?10 each.
I use them to do dips and press ups just be for i do dips on a set of dipping bars.

I hope the pic shows up? :slight_smile:

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1110397277364.rings.JPG

sorry i think the file size was too big?
Here it is again :confused:

[quote]worker wrote:
The blast straps really look very interesting. I would think that you could do all the same exercises with the straps, right? Worker[/quote]

I don’t know about that. The handles look pretty narrow. Could you hold a support on those things (hold yourself above them), or does the size of the handles prevent you from doing this without bending your wrist? If you can’t hold a support, then you can’t do dips, L-sits, etcetera. The

You certainly couldn’t set a false grip on them, which rules out muscle-ups, crosses, etcetera. Also, the blast straps’ ropes are a little shorter.

If price is your concern, just buy some sturdy straps and some sturdy plastic playground rings, and make a pair of rings on your own.

what were the specs to make those rings. i know a few people who could make em for me. inner radius and D or R of material bent is all i really need to know. maybe i could make some oversized ones just for dangerously hardcore sakes!!!

<<I really enjoy challenging myself with bodyweight exercises…have you found any way to add a bit of extra weight if necessary???>>

I find a dipping belt to be most useful. For ring push-ups I will slip one arm and my head through a pre-loaded belt so that the weight hangs down below my upper chest. In order to add difficulty and to avoid having the plates hit the floor I make sure to set the rings high enough and prop my feet on a bench. An added benefit of this exercise is the fact that the abs are greatly stressed in order to keep the body straight and stable.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1110401444037.rackdips.jpg

same again, not trying to hijack thread, i think the pic will explain, i used to dips this way before i got my dip station/bars.
Place bars across the spotters and dip inbetween them, depending on your build
you might find this too narrow for you? :slight_smile:

[quote]worker wrote:
Not entirely positive about your description??
Worker

UserRamma wrote:
I don’t want to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted to quickly point out something that I’ve used for dips at home since purchasing my power rack.

I’m going to assume that your power rack has bars that act as “spotting” bars for when you’re squatting, or benching right? I put one Olympic bar across those “spotting” bars near the back of my power rack, and then another bar across the “spotting” bars neaer the front of my power rack. Then, I can still do dips…(let me know if this didn’t make sense…maybe I can type in a better description)

Joe Daley wrote:
Yes.

For me, being able to do dips in my workout is something I was missing since leaving the commercial gym, and the rings can be positioned in exactly the right spot for dips.

Also, assuming I ever get a taller garage I can try out the other stuff they say you can do with them. I think I paid about ?90 with import tax, which isn’t that much for them in my opinion.

[/quote]

[quote]vizunaldth wrote:
what were the specs to make those rings. i know a few people who could make em for me. inner radius and D or R of material bent is all i really need to know. maybe i could make some oversized ones just for dangerously hardcore sakes!!![/quote]

The specs were :

rolled steel tube 1.5 inch
internal diameter 7 inch
external diameter 9.5 inch
do not know the tube wall thickness.

the rings were made in two halves and then welded together, then the welds were polished. they were made in two halves because my local dude did not have the right dies to go to a such a tight radius, maybe your local can?

The straps are just adjustable roof ties from car suppliers halfords.
I have been using this fot over a year now and had no problems with it.

hope this info helps :slight_smile:

I actually have a pair of rings from a gymnastics team, my problem is that I don’t have any idea on how to hook them up. In other words, what material would I use and what kind of attaching device do I need? I would love to be able to construct these on my own.
If anyone can help out that would be appreciated!!!
P.S. I also wonder about the width of those handles.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
worker wrote:
The blast straps really look very interesting. I would think that you could do all the same exercises with the straps, right? Worker

I don’t know about that. The handles look pretty narrow. Could you hold a support on those things (hold yourself above them), or does the size of the handles prevent you from doing this without bending your wrist? If you can’t hold a support, then you can’t do dips, L-sits, etcetera. The

You certainly couldn’t set a false grip on them, which rules out muscle-ups, crosses, etcetera. Also, the blast straps’ ropes are a little shorter.

If price is your concern, just buy some sturdy straps and some sturdy plastic playground rings, and make a pair of rings on your own.[/quote]

Thanks for the pic. Can you tell me what you used as the attaching device…I have no ideas.

[quote]gonzalis wrote:
sorry i think the file size was too big?
Here it is again :/[/quote]

here are some more pics as promised to worker from chat room,

close up of ring…

close up of clip

top close up…

just tied the loose end like a neck tie knot, has been ther a year and my neck is one piece :wink:

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1110405280871.strap_l.jpg

the straps i bought from halfords.

heres a pic, the company that makes them are called thule heres a link

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/
accessories.htm

they can handle a load of 300 kg although they were not designed for dipping :wink:

Wow!! Thanks Gonzalis!!!
Do you think I could pick something like that (the clip) up at a home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot??
Worker

[quote]gonzalis wrote:
close up of clip[/quote]

Here’s a setup for using bands with handles for ring type work. You can also use chains in place of bands-but the chain rubs your forearm. Also, a weight belt made of chains and carabiners. I have had 3 45s on this, and it could hold a lot more.