Ring Training

Anybody out there have a set of rings by ringtraining.com. I know they were reviewed a while back and was just wondering if anyone likes to train this way?
Worker

I bought a set and pretty much use them for dips only, as my garage roof is too low to use them for pullups.

I like them a lot, totally adjustable and you have to work pretty hard to keep yourself stable when using them.

I’ve only ever used them hanging from my power rack, but with a bit more room you could try all sorts of stuff on them.

Thanks!!!
Do you feel they were worth the price even with your limited use??
Worker

Yes.

For me, being able to do dips in my workout is something I was missing since leaving the commercial gym, and the rings can be positioned in exactly the right spot for dips.

Also, assuming I ever get a taller garage I can try out the other stuff they say you can do with them. I think I paid about ?90 with import tax, which isn’t that much for them in my opinion.

I have a set and my clients love them.I use them for dips, chins, inverted rows,push ups, feet elevated on a stability ball etc.Totally worth the money.

I really enjoy challenging myself with bodyweight exercises…have you found any way to add a bit of extra weight if necessary???
Are your clients pretty advanced…it just seems as if you could really get in a nice groove with the rings at least as far as chins and other back movements.
Thanks,
Worker

I bought them a year ago and used them extensively for chins, dips, L-chins, hanging leg raises, abdominal work, and a lot of gymnastic strength exercises. I don’t use them much now only because there isn’t much time in my training regimen for them (I am focusing on OL right now).

They are more than worth the money.

Regarding changing the intensity of the exercise: Rings have no competitor when it comes to this.

Pull-ups can vary in intensity from assisted (setting the rings low and pushing against the ground slightly for assistance), to normal pull-ups, to pull-ups to half-cross (pull up with one straight arm and one bent arm - easier than it sounds), to cross pulls (pull to support with both arms straight, passing through an iron cross on the way up - haven’t got this yet).

Dips are much harder than normal dips to begin with. You can vary their intensity by turning your palms away from your body and sitting bolt upright as you lower yourself down.

The best thing about the rings is the isometric exercises you can do with them - working your way towards levers, iron crosses, long L-sits, and so on.

I was unaware that there were so many variations that one can do with rings.
What exactly is the material that you hook to the bar or rack made out of?
Does it tighten something like a carabiner (sp?) would when rock climbing??
Worker

I bought a pair this past December, and they are easily one of my favorite pieces of equipment. As of now I have them hanging off my dipping station, close to the ground. With this set up I am able to do flies and pushups. Super-setting these 2 exercises for 10 reps is absolutely killer. As soon as the snow clears off the ground, I’m going to build some uprights to hang the rings from. I can’t wait! I highly recommend the rings, i’ve been weight training for years and these have presented quite a challenge thus far.

I own a pair of rings, and as many on this thread have stated, they are nice to have. However, if you don’t already have a good squat rack, barbells and dumbbells save your money for those, as they are the “essentials.”

With that stated, the rings are a great addition to any home gym.

I don’t want to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted to quickly point out something that I’ve used for dips at home since purchasing my power rack.

I’m going to assume that your power rack has bars that act as “spotting” bars for when you’re squatting, or benching right? I put one Olympic bar across those “spotting” bars near the back of my power rack, and then another bar across the “spotting” bars neaer the front of my power rack. Then, I can still do dips…(let me know if this didn’t make sense…maybe I can type in a better description)

[quote]Joe Daley wrote:
Yes.

For me, being able to do dips in my workout is something I was missing since leaving the commercial gym, and the rings can be positioned in exactly the right spot for dips.

Also, assuming I ever get a taller garage I can try out the other stuff they say you can do with them. I think I paid about ?90 with import tax, which isn’t that much for them in my opinion.[/quote]

…to answer your question above, the rings are fully adjustable. They are attached by about 10 feet of nylon webbing. They’re solid, no doubt about it. See the T-Jack reports on them for more info, or post again, i’d be glad you answer any future questions.

Not entirely positive about your description??
Worker

[quote]UserRamma wrote:
I don’t want to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted to quickly point out something that I’ve used for dips at home since purchasing my power rack.

I’m going to assume that your power rack has bars that act as “spotting” bars for when you’re squatting, or benching right? I put one Olympic bar across those “spotting” bars near the back of my power rack, and then another bar across the “spotting” bars neaer the front of my power rack. Then, I can still do dips…(let me know if this didn’t make sense…maybe I can type in a better description)

Joe Daley wrote:
Yes.

Also, assuming I ever get a taller garage I can try out the other stuff they say you can do with them. I think I paid about ?90 with import tax, which isn’t that much for them in my opinion.
[/quote]

Do you attach the rings to the chinup bar on the power rack? My power rack is about 7-8 feet tall as it almost touches the ceiling in my basement. Would the power rings be useful in this situation?

Waterman,
I am curious if I could make a pair out of some olders gymnastic rings that go unused at my place of employment.
I have the rings, just nothing to attach them with…what do you think?
Or should I just buy the set?
Worker

[quote]Waterman wrote:
…to answer your question above, the rings are fully adjustable. They are attached by about 10 feet of nylon webbing. They’re solid, no doubt about it. See the T-Jack reports on them for more info, or post again, i’d be glad you answer any future questions. [/quote]

Worker,
To be honest with you, i tried to throw something together where I could save some cash by using some rope and trying to find a set of rings through swingset distributors. Then I thought about the strength of something like that, or lack thereof. I plan on putting in some serious time on these, and I just couldnt trust something that I would have thrown together. I’m sure you could rig something if you’ll just be using the rings for dips, pushups, etc. But to progress into more serious movements, I opted for the safe decision, and spent the cash on the real deal.

These things will be used for a very long time…and they look like they’ll hold up.

[quote]worker wrote:
Worker
[/quote]

Just lay two long 2x4s across the catchers. Less wrist strain.

By the way, a couple doubled #3 bands, or #4 for sure work great hanging from the top of the squat rack, or a chin bar.

Ok…let me try again…pretend that you’re doing bench with your spotter racks, and you can’t get the bar off your chest(or the spotter racks)…that’s the position of one bar…then place the other bar (also on the spotter racks) closer to your feet.

(so it would look like you had a set of parallel bars in your power rack)

(I wish I was explaining it better, or had a camera)

:slight_smile:

[quote]worker wrote:
Worker

[/quote]

I get what you are saying, but then the bars would be too far apart for me to comfortably dip.