Ring Dips...

I found some gym rings in a park the other day and tried an iron cross and some pull ups and stuff, then I tried to do a dip from the starting position of the iron cross. IT WAS SO DAMN HARD!

First of all, just to clarify I did not achieve full extension on the iron cross, I got about half way. I mention this because someone that could do the full iron cross might scoff at the dips.

But the dips I must say are pretty sweet to try, I was only able to do one and normally I use no less than a 45 lb plate around my waist when doing normal dip sets at the gym.

you are a lucky man, I have been trying to find a place around me that has rings to try some different stuff on. I can’t seem to find anything. I really got interested in using rings for pullups/dips from some gymjones.com vid’s dan john posted. So bad ass.

Ring dips are much more difficult than normal dips. The trick is to get really “tight” and hold that tension throughout the dip.

[quote]gotaknife wrote:
Ring dips are much more difficult than normal dips. The trick is to get really “tight” and hold that tension throughout the dip. [/quote]

The trick, for me, will be to do a set of 10! No wonder gymnasts often have upper body’s that look like bodybuilders.

Rings are awesome fun. I’ll get some in my own gaff :).

I didn’t find ring dips hard personally but I’ve always kept tight in dips.

But from what I understand your doing them with a wide grip? That would make it much harder!

Work muscle ups. Very bad ass exercise :slight_smile:

Koing

Fun stuff, I’ve worked up to around 17 ring dips, now I’m doing weighted versions. At first I was able to do 4 and my body was shaking all over the place. You quickly get over the shakes as long as you keep using the rings.

I bought my rings at www.ringtraining.com I just bring them with me to the gym or hang them outside my condo. There are some other brands they recommend out there but these are the only ones I’ve used personally.

Things to work on IMO:
A mature ring support: Arms should be atraight, shoulders pushed down, arms off the straps/chains without bracing the rings on your sides. Palms are forward. Working up to 1-2 minute holds.

A mature ring dip: dip from the support position below 90 degrees and full extension.

Koing, I think I was close to muscle ups back when I was 175lbs and could do 75 pushups. It seems pretty hard now.

Backlash, if you are the guy that brings his own rings into the WSC in Glover Park i would be happy to take some tips from you, This seems like a novel exercise, and useful too.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
gotaknife wrote:
Ring dips are much more difficult than normal dips. The trick is to get really “tight” and hold that tension throughout the dip.

The trick, for me, will be to do a set of 10! No wonder gymnasts often have upper body’s that look like bodybuilders.[/quote]

Does anybody have a vid of proper form on ring dips? are the hands supposed to be semi-supinated like regular bar dips or are they pronated like in a muscle up?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:

Backlash, if you are the guy that brings his own rings into the WSC in Glover Park i would be happy to take some tips from you, This seems like a novel exercise, and useful too.[/quote]

Heh, I live out in NOVA so I don’t happen by American Univ. area too often anymore.

I love this bodyweight stuff, check out this website this guy is awsome:

http://www.beastskills.com/