T Nation

Right Side Back Pain

Hello all!,

I just joined. I have been observing this website for some time and it’s got plenty of good stuff etc, but I am sure that you don’t need me to tell you that :P.

I do hope that some of you can shed some light on my back pain issue.

Due to long term dysthymic depression (mild to moderate depressive effects) I have never really cared about myself. It has affected every aspect of me, from diet to health, weight, personality, warming up, warming down etc. I am never warmed up properly for anything and have been a chronic couch potato, so I do not have consistency of strength or fitness, flexibility or anything like that…

I always have had and still currently have the “why bother with anything?” attitude…
What a real grind it has been…

Anyway, you can put the violins away lol because I am trying to beat it!
First of all, my doctor seems to think that the pain may just be due to long term depression/stress related issues etc. However, I KNOW my body, even if he does not…

The pain comes and goes, usually when I aggravate the area by doing the wrong things, unsurprisingly!

Possible causes:
(3 years ago) Errr, wrestling with my cousin and putting all of my strongest right side (right handed as well) into the effort. The next day, I had a massive right side ache from below the shoulder blade to just below the lower back, maybe even just below the right butt cheek.

(2 years approx) To add to that, I did a lot of floor cleaning/scrubbing/tile laying to prepare a factory floor for a visit and really ached for some time…

Due to my negative attitude, I never did anything about it…

Anyway, I now have started doing [posturally correct] core exercises, including ab crunches, leg raises, stretching, etc, transversus abdominis vaccuum etc. The problem is that I feel stronger and I can do quite a lot now with my core, ie legs raised about 30 degrees and trunk raised about 30 degrees, which was something I could not do previously.

I feel stronger on both sides, BUT, whenever I do the right side leg raise, I get a very dull ache in my lower right back, centre point is just above my right butt cheek aka glute. I feel like there are several layers of muscles and tendons, and that one layer is far weakened than the other. Perhaps I have a ripped transversus aka corset muscle?

At it’s worst the dull ache, not like a nerve pain, spreads from the centre point ( just above centre of right glute) about level with the belly button line and just below the lower crease of the right side glute muscle.

The ache/right side muscle/weakness does not seem to get stronger. In fact, maybe I am overdoing it and need to take it slowly, butt (hehe) surely. Maybe I have partially ripped a tendon, like the equivalent of a shoulder cuff rotator muscle tendon tear???

I will make my doc refer me to a physio when I see him next… I am on 20mg antidepressants for the dysthymia issue, but this does not affect me in any way that I have noticed.

So ,please, if you have any ideas/theories or want to ask more questions, do ask…
I suspected perhaps, the sacroiliac joint? but I am not a physio…

I greatly look forward to any idea that you may have…