Right or Wrong?

Normally I would say stop worrying about people in the gym, but when it’s something that could be dangerous, you have the right to say something.

I once saw a big fuckin guy flip out on some kids because they were “squatting”… and the weights fell off one side while they were in the rack next to him. That, to me, is justified, because shit like that can seriously fuck you up.

Not too mention if your doing shoulder presses and a dumbell breaks, you could be in a world of hurt because of that asshole.

Grow a pair and whoop his ass. I thought we were all men here? Starting insecure posts asking if you did the right thing is proof of low confidence.

Next time rip his nuts off and roll dice with’em.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Grow a pair and whoop his ass. I thought we were all men here? Starting insecure posts asking if you did the right thing is proof of low confidence.

Next time rip his nuts off and roll dice with’em.[/quote]

Dumbass.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
medevac wrote:
Personally I’ve never seen a dumbbell break but I have seen them become loose at the bolt that is supposed to be permanently fixed.

I saw a 25 pound dumbbell break a week or two ago. Only one I have ever been present when it happens but I know of others that have broken.

It sucks because they usually aren’t replaced quickly.[/quote]

Ok when you say broken, what exactly do you mean? Like the weight snaps off the handle or does the weight itself crack? We have rubber-encased dumbbells and I’m not sure what it would take to break one but I bet it would have to be significant.

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
AdamC wrote:
I often drop dumbells when im doing Flat Bench Dumbell Press. The only reason is that i can’t sit up with the weight and put them down gently, and if i try to put them down slowly whilst laying down, it feels lik my arms are going to rip off. Am i wrong?

Easy fix…with your arms in the locked position semi supinate the db, bring knees up until they touch the db, use the momentum of the db falling onto the knees and it will pull you into a sitting position with db’s on knees…then you can gently put them on the floor…all under control.[/quote]

Cool, i think i get it thanks! Will give it a try and hopefully not fuck it up and hurt myself or look like a tit haha.

Curling 45’s? Dude, he’s functional… dont fuck with him.

[quote]medevac wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
medevac wrote:
Personally I’ve never seen a dumbbell break but I have seen them become loose at the bolt that is supposed to be permanently fixed.

I saw a 25 pound dumbbell break a week or two ago. Only one I have ever been present when it happens but I know of others that have broken.

It sucks because they usually aren’t replaced quickly.

Ok when you say broken, what exactly do you mean? Like the weight snaps off the handle or does the weight itself crack? We have rubber-encased dumbbells and I’m not sure what it would take to break one but I bet it would have to be significant.[/quote]

Weight snapped off one end. It was not rubber covered.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Roy wrote:

Dumbass.[/quote]

That’s Mr. Dumbass to you

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Normally I would say stop worrying about people in the gym, but when it’s something that could be dangerous, you have the right to say something.

I once saw a big fuckin guy flip out on some kids because they were “squatting”… and the weights fell off one side while they were in the rack next to him. That, to me, is justified, because shit like that can seriously fuck you up.

Not too mention if your doing shoulder presses and a dumbell breaks, you could be in a world of hurt because of that asshole.[/quote]

Agreed. The guy is a fucking hazard to your health. Talk to the owner. He will care a lot once you tell him the practice is costing him money.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Curling 45’s? Dude, he’s functional… dont fuck with him.[/quote]

Functional? I’m a novice, what does that mean?

And thanks to the guy who posted how to get the DBs up on DB press without dropping them.

[quote]dillinger wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Curling 45’s? Dude, he’s functional… dont fuck with him.

Functional? I’m a novice, what does that mean?

And thanks to the guy who posted how to get the DBs up on DB press without dropping them.[/quote]

It’s a joke, man. Don’t worry.

Roy wrote:

Well the problem with this is I would love too but the mentality of the everyday joe is what prevents me from doing this. What I mean is I have a wife and family and he would probably sue me for everything I got after I kicked his ass. So to put them through all that is not worth it in the long run. That is the biggest reason I haven’t done anything.

Just weighing in here, you did the right thing. I also agree that you should tell the manager/owner if you get a chance. The practice of dumping DBs has always bothered me. I’ve seen too many guys doing seated DB curls that work through their set, almost screaming during the last few reps and then forcibly dropping the DBs to the ground. Everyone knows they’re tools and chances are, they know it too. Now I lift at home where no one drops the weights.

DB

I agree with the OP, there is know reason to drop 40-50# db’s while curling. However, I often drop db’s after a heavy set of flat or incline bench. I do make sure that no one is around as to avoid an accident.

I read what some other poster’s recommended to avoid this, but at the end of a set I am spent. I have been told by the gym owner not to drop the db’s as a do. I discussed with him that it was not done to show off, and I will do my best in order to never hurt anyone. He saw that I was sincere and asked that I just be careful.

Never ceases to amaze me how many idiots are out there.

wtf dropping dumbells? wtf???

And the gym allowing it? This is nuts!

Stop it, explain to the owner that if one breaks, as you have seen, he could have a lawsuit on his hands. That way he might take action.

Alternatively get him to put down some thick rubber matting for the drops.

Most dumbells are just cast iron they should be subjected to impact like that.

[quote]TheSwoopMan wrote:
Normally I wouldn’t say anything and I would go about my workout. Tonight was different because I have had dumbbells break on me while doing a chest press and it was not fun. Any way I was polite and asked him to stop dropping the dumbbells because I have seen to many of them break over the years and explained what had happend to me and I didn’t want it to happen again.
[/quote]

Maybe you should try Iron Dumbells.

Dumbells are commonly constructed of Cast Iron.

Dumbells are most likely to fail in SHEAR. Cast Iron’s Shear Ultimate Strength is 240 MPa - or 35,000 psi.
But let’s add a BIG factor of safety to account for potential corrosion and fatigue: 0.5. This’ll make the shear Strength 17,500 psi.
We’ll take the dumbell handle width to be 1 inch ~ 25 mm

After ALL the factors of safety and VERY conservative estimations, your dumbell will not fail before pi^2*(25/1000)/4 x 17500 = 1,080 lbs

Its strength is likely significantly higher than that.

Load on dumbell when you drop it:

Newton’s 2nd law: F = m*a = (W/g)*a, where a = accleration as you push the dumbell (10 ft/s - you wish), g = gravitational acceleration (32.2), W = 500 lbs/dumbell (yeah right).

Then, F = (500/32.2)*10 = 155 lbs.

The weight of the dumbel is spread into two disks at the ends, each roughly half its nominal weight. Each end of the handle will be subjected to HALF the value of F in shear - 155/2 = 77.5 lbs

Factor of safety involved in the exercise = 1080/77.5 = 14.

Using 500 lb dumbells and pushing them up at 10 ft/s - both HIGHLY questionable) you would be 14x under the dumbells capacity.

This is AFTER our factors of safety accounting for potential corrosion and metal fatigue.

So, WHAT did you break again?

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
Dumbells are commonly constructed of Cast Iron.[/quote]

Is your analysis looking at dumbbells as being constructed out of one solid piece? Because at least at my gym, the ends are welded onto the handle, and we end up with loose/broken dumbbells all the time.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
diesel25 wrote:

Is your analysis looking at dumbbells as being constructed out of one solid piece? Because at least at my gym, the ends are welded onto the handle, and we end up with loose/broken dumbbells all the time.[/quote]

I have never seen one that is cast as one piece and dumbbells do break. I saw (heard) a 25 pound one break a few weeks ago.

Don’t drop them!

[quote]diesel25 wrote:

Dumbells are most likely to fail in SHEAR. Cast Iron’s Shear Ultimate Strength is 240 MPa - or 35,000 psi.
But let’s add a BIG factor of safety to account for potential corrosion and fatigue: 0.5. This’ll make the shear Strength 17,500 psi.
We’ll take the dumbell handle width to be 1 inch ~ 25 mm

After ALL the factors of safety and VERY conservative estimations, your dumbell will not fail before pi^2*(25/1000)/4 x 17500 = 1,080 lbs

Its strength is likely significantly higher than that.

Load on dumbell when you drop it:

Newton’s 2nd law: F = m*a = (W/g)*a, where a = accleration as you push the dumbell (10 ft/s - you wish), g = gravitational acceleration (32.2), W = 500 lbs/dumbell (yeah right).

Then, F = (500/32.2)*10 = 155 lbs.

The weight of the dumbel is spread into two disks at the ends, each roughly half its nominal weight. Each end of the handle will be subjected to HALF the value of F in shear - 155/2 = 77.5 lbs

Factor of safety involved in the exercise = 1080/77.5 = 14.

Using 500 lb dumbells and pushing them up at 10 ft/s - both HIGHLY questionable) you would be 14x under the dumbells capacity.

This is AFTER our factors of safety accounting for potential corrosion and metal fatigue.

So, WHAT did you break again?[/quote]

The stress is a combination of shear and moment

A 500 LB dumbell with a 1" bar would see a max static stress of about 15,000 psi

When dropped from a height of 3 feet the impact stress would be multplied by 3.6, from 6 ft multiply by 4.7

repetetive impacts could cause crack propogation and eventual failure on larger dumbells, especialy the 3 piece dumbells where the weights are fastened to the bar with a bolt.